AMD 32 -> 64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reno138
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: AMD 32 -> 64 Reply with quote

I recently got an athlon 64, and i _really_ don't want to use kernel 2.6.

If i get a 32 bit system installed, then go back and install gcc 3.3 and rebuild my kernel (2.4) for hammer (amd64), and then emerge world,

will it rebuild everything (that can be) for x86_64? or will i still be stuck with a strictly 32 bit system?

TIA

-reno
sneakerski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, have you checked out the amd64 livecds? yes i know they're based on 2.6, but you can ofcourse easily install a 2.4 kernel. however, my question is, why would you want to? the 2.6 is MUCH better for the amd64 architecture, and the test11 seems imo very stable...afterall, it's supposed to be approved for teh first stable 2.6.0
scrllock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I've heard correctly, devfs is not working correctly on 2.4. Plus, why would you NOT want to run 2.6? It has all that fresh-kernel yumminess.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.4 has much worse driver support, no devfs, and is generally not as good on AMD64 as 2.6.

You can install whatever kernel you want, of course, I would just really recommend you don't.
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6 has some issues with the AMD64 architecture, as of the first release (2.6.0).

x86-64.org has released a patch to resolve some of them. You can read about it here:
http://www.x86-64.org/kernel_updates/FrontPage

I am using this patch and have not had any problems...er, at least none that I didn't already have with unpatched kernels.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo-dev-sources contains the x86-64 patchset plus a bunch of drivers and things.
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: OMG!!! didn't notice how old this post was...woops :)

Is there any particular reason you don't want 2.6? There are a lot of driver issues with 2.4 for a64 boards. Last time I booted up the 32-bit system it would see my IDE stuff properly and turned DMA off as a result. It also didn't detect my ethernet card. Once I get a chance to fire up the 32-bit system again I'll be building 2.6 for that as well actually.

Also, to re-itterate whats been said, devfs is disabled in 2.4 (or at least should be) due to some memory corruption issues last time I checked and as devfs is unmaintained I don't think you'll be seeing it fixed any time soon.

Also, I just though about this...don't you have to be running a 64-bit kernel to run 64-bit apps? If you re-merge world using a 32-bit kernel and re-compile gcc as 64-bit, then on subsequent packages won't it then try to execute the 64-bit executable and fail? Methinks you need the 64-bit liveCD for this...not sure though. Besides, with as fast as these things are, why not just start it from scratch?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: