Double space after full stop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoGeorge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Double space after full stop Reply with quote

Seems like consecutive spaces are turned into a single space after submit (or in a preview). Is it possible to let two spaces between sentences, e.g. after a full stop?

Later edit:
Seems like the spaces are preserved. When I edit this message, the two spaces after the first full stop are still there, just that only one space is displayed when the message is shown in the forum boards, or in a preview.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer is no. That's just how phpbb works.

You may find code tags helpful.
Code:
foo (no leading spaces)
 bar (1 leading spaces)
  foobar (2 leading spaces)

Foo bar.  Foobar. (Stop followed by two spaces).
For general readability, code tags are best reserved when displaying text that needs that feature (such as implied by the name, "code"). Also note that code tags have limitations and don't always align properly if trying to reproduce column aligned output.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a couple of HTML Punctuation Spaces (&​#8200;). For example, there are three Punctuation Spaces to the right of this sentence.   There are two Punctuation Spaces to the right of this sentence.  There is one Punctuation Space to the right of this sentence. If you want bigger spaces, you could add more Punctuation Spaces or instead use en-spaces ( ) or em-spaces ( ).

Fitzcarraldo's blog
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to ask this question:
Why would you even want that?
I mean, the only thing where I've seen double space after a dot was in an old old speed typing training app, so I am aware this used to be a rule that you should put a double space at the end of a sentence. However, this rule appears to be long dead by now, with no impact to readability.
And the already mentioned CODE tag handles pre-formatted text where you actually want to preserve all spaces. And it also uses a monospace font. So, what's the point of handling this one as a special case?
Since you're asking in Forums Feedback section, I'm assuming it's not just for sake of an exercise (which could actually be fun to do if you're into that sort of things).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoGeorge,

When a proportional sized font and kerning are used for display, how does it help?
It can be useful with fixed space fonts.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Double space after full stop Reply with quote

RoGeorge wrote:
Seems like consecutive spaces are turned into a single space after submit (or in a preview).

That's exactly what browsers should do, see w3.org.
To preserve space you could use U+00A0
RoGeorge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about those HTML punctuation spaces, thank you Fitzcarraldo.

szatox wrote:
Why would you even want that?
I mean, the only thing where I've seen double space after a dot was in an old old speed typing training app, so I am aware this used to be a rule that you should put a double space at the end of a sentence. However, this rule appears to be long dead by now, with no impact to readability.
And the already mentioned CODE tag handles pre-formatted text where you actually want to preserve all spaces. And it also uses a monospace font. So, what's the point of handling this one as a special case?

It improves readability and comprehensibility of paragraphs. There are a few scientific papers proving that, but I'm talking from my own experience. It's better with two spaces between sentences, same as using paragraphs is better than a wall of text.

I was taught the same in school, one space after punctuation marks, including end of sentence punctuation. Yet, some years ago I start using two spaces between sentences, and since then, whenever I see one space I miss the clear separation. It's one of those little things that once you have it you don't want to go back, e.g. the scroll wheel on a mouse, or the keyboard shortcuts in GUI. Double spacing is tot long dead, see this random example from another forum. Two users were using double spaces here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/resonator-design/

CODE tag is using monospace fonts, those are not very pleasant to read, my question was about normal text in the forum, in the hope there might be some setting that I missed.

I didn't know about that w3 org rule regarding consecutive space processing, thank you charles17. That rule is a mistake, IMO. Anyway, got it, phpBB forums doesn't preserve consecutive spacing, like in the link above (from a SMF platform).

Thank you all for explaining why, or how to workaround, learned a few thinks from this. :D
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoGeorge,

Looking at the page source of that page you linked to, the double spaces between sentences on that page are achieved by using a non-breaking space ( ) followed by a normal space, thus:

Code:
This is the first sentence.  This is the second sentence.

This is the first sentence.  This is the second sentence.

However, as you can see above, phpBB does not allow HTML tags. But you can cut-and-paste an en-space into the post instead:

This is the first sentence. This is the second sentence. <-- Two normal spaces between the two sentences are converted by phpBB to a single normal space.
This is the first sentence.  This is the second sentence. <-- One en-space between the two sentences is not converted by phpBB to a single normal space.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacing shouldn't be set by the author in any case, it's for the reader. This is best done with a userscript.
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't this why we use the code tag?
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, isn't this why ultimately some programs have tabs, some programs have spaces?
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Spacing shouldn't be set by the author in any case, it's for the reader. This is best done with a userscript.

Code:
H   e   y       I      L   I   K   E     S   P   A   C   I   N   G     to   add   emphasis

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: