Up to date Gnome overlay?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasrn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Up to date Gnome overlay? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Especially with the release of 3.36 I was wondering if there was a "preferred" repository that contained unstable versions of Gnome 3. The offical repo is still on 3.32, and I'd really like to move to 3.34 to solve some of the issues with memory leaks in that release.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Up to date Gnome overlay? Reply with quote

jasrn wrote:
Especially with the release of 3.36 I was wondering if there was a "preferred" repository that contained unstable versions of Gnome 3. The offical repo is still on 3.32, and I'd really like to move to 3.34 to solve some of the issues with memory leaks in that release.

I know you only asked about "preferred" repositories but I figured I might as well update my last assessment of GNOME in Gentoo.

Official:

1. You wait (because the Gentoo GNOME team is understaffed and even if they weren't they typically trail 1 or 2 versions behind GNOME upstream).

Unofficial:

1. GNOME 3.35.z by heather (also known as the gnome-next overlay)

2. GNOME 3.36.z by thankjura

3. GNOME 3.36.z by hhfeuer

4. GNOME 3.yy.z by dantrell (hi, also known as the GNOME Without Systemd project which supports GNOME 3.14+ with or without systemd)

P.S. As thankjura is fond of saying. Unofficial overlays are for use at your own risk. They can break your deptree, your system, and your backbone. :twisted:

You'll probably be fine though.
jasrn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks dantrell - I'm going to give your overlay a shot! I'm hoping to eventually be able to contribute to the community and help with the maintenance of one of the ebuilds for gnome but right now I think I'd be more of a hassle than anything else (Still fairly new to Gentoo although have used Linux for decades)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasrn wrote:
I'm going to give your overlay a shot!

The project documentation is quite comprehensive and the install process is pretty straightforward. If anything goes wrong, you have a couple points of contact, including the current support thread.

But, talk about timing, I'm currently in the middle of smoothing out of a few bumps resulting from changes in both the main tree and my end.

Right now, if you use anything that pulls in NetworkManager, you probably won't get clean emerge output. This has been resolved on my end but isn't live just yet (give it a couple hours). Edit: It took a bit but it's live now.

jasrn wrote:
I'm hoping to eventually be able to contribute to the community and help with the maintenance of one of the ebuilds for gnome but right now I think I'd be more of a hassle than anything else (Still fairly new to Gentoo although have used Linux for decades)

If you do decide you have time to commit you'll want to be familiar with the main tree, Bugzilla and working in a team alongside other teams (emphasis on alongside other teams).

I'd also say the Gentoo Development Guide is required reading as well as Michał Górny's article titled, "The ultimate guide to EAPI 7" (as well as his blog which sometimes covers topics pertaining to the structure of the main tree).

That said, you can find the staffing needs of the Gentoo Gnome team here and well as their point of contact.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: