Full-screen app display at 4k, desktop 1080p
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Full-screen app display at 4k, desktop 1080p Reply with quote

For the most part, I've given up with the hidpi issues plaguing all desktop environments and have fallen back to 1080p for my desktop. However, when I've done so, I've noticed that things like steam games no longer recognize that my hardware supports 4k, they get locked to the 1080p my DE is set to.

Can an app run (at full screen) at a higher resolution than the DE is running? HiDPI is not much of an issue with most of my games, and I certainly appreciate the extra detail I used to get out of it. Can I get the best of both worlds? Can I get a DE that scales everything so it's readable, and a gaming environment that shows good details?

Specifically, right now I'm running Gnome 3.32.2. I run a few games locally on my RTX 2060, but mostly I stream with MoonLight from my dedicated gaming box with an RTX 2080 Ti. Outside of gaming, I confess I don't really have much of a hard need for 4k (but I'd LOVE to use it and properly scale it across all applications).

The best I've been able to get from Gnome is that the UI (window decorations, etc) scales to hard-coded integer multipliers (2x, 3x, etc), and I can get the text on a few apps to scale up by mucking with:
Code:
dconf write /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/xsettings/overrides "{'Xft/DPI': <296960>}"
along with:
Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor 2.5
... but some apps (e.g., wine) do not honor any of this and display everything in a space occupying less than 1/4 inches somewhere on the screen I'd need a microscope to look at.

I've played a bit with plasma, and haven't really had much success there either. I've been fighting this since 2015 with my first 4k laptop. Over the years, I've recommended to my friends not to bother with 4k displays on computers because we can't seem to figure out how to scale our content properly.

Any suggestions?
Banana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a solution to your res problem, but I currently run XFCE4 without any problems in 4k. Did not encounter any software which has problem with that.
Zucca
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4k main display. 99% of the time I run sway and the scaling has been working out fine when I tried it.
(I normally have scaling set to 1x since my display is 43" in size, so I use it like I had 4 FullHD (2k) displays tiled.)
But I suspect the scaling hasn't gone into worse direction.
shellcmd: qlist -veI sway wlroots :
gui-libs/wlroots-0.10.0
gui-wm/sway-1.4

I suspect it's the gnome wm/compositor (mutter?) that's acting out weird. Have you tried both X11 and wayland mode?
Also in KDE Plasma... stick to X11. My wayland experience with KDE has been downright flickering and glitchy.

Code:
ERROR: '--failure' is not an option. Aborting...
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been brave enough to try wayland yet... from what I've been reading, I'd be sacrificing OpenGL support if I attempted it as the nvidia proprietary drivers either support X11 with OpenGL or Wayland without OpenGL

I can try XFCE and see if things improve... I'd really like to get 4k at a usable scale (15.6" at worst case on the laptop itself, 27" when docked, but I sit a ways away from the docked screens so the scaling may need to be similar).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: