Migrating from bumblebee/primus to libglvnd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Migrating from bumblebee/primus to libglvnd Reply with quote

I've been running bumblebee /primus for years now but it seems that the modern versions of things want instead to use libglvnd. I have not really seen a good tutorial for how to do this yet in Gentoo so I'm hoping to find some help here. In addition to currently using bumblebee/primus
    I am still using an old nvidia-drivers-418.88 because it is the last one that worked for me with bumblebee/primus.
    I have -libglvnd set for mesa-20.0.0 and xorg-server-1.20.7 (upgrading now from 1.26)

I could be mistaken here, but I thought I was waiting for the version bump on xorg from 1.26 to 1.27 which should include whatever patches are needed to make libglvnd system work.

Has anyone gone through this transition or can someone help me figure this out?

Thanks!!
Ionen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Migrating from bumblebee/primus to libglvnd Reply with quote

Faraclas wrote:
I am still using an old nvidia-drivers-418.88 because it is the last one that worked for me with bumblebee/primus.
I don't know much about this kind of setup, but the libglvnd USE started showing up with >=nvidia-drivers-435 and anyone before that is currently forced to turn it off globally.
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is true. Since I am running the older nvidia-drivers-418.88 and turning off libglvnd everywhere so I can use the old nvidia drivers with bumblebee/primus. Even with libglvnd disabled, I was never successful in any newer version of nvidia-drivers working with bumblebee/primus.

So I am looking for help dumping this old way of doing things and migrating to the newer way.
Ionen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, but just to be sure, is your GPU supported by modern drivers? nvidia drops support for older gpu in their newer drivers, and then keep "long term support" ones for older ones.
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. It is an nvida quadro

Code:
02:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107GLM [Quadro K1100M] (rev a1)

Looking at the nvidia release notes for supported cards https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/152590/en-us I am not finding this here. Does this mean I am out of luck?[/url]
Ionen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidia site tells me the last driver to support this gpu is 418.113, so rather than the setup being the problem is just that the gpu won't work with newer drivers at all :(

Edit: I'd recommend to just keep things as-is and disable libglvnd, likely more suitable. It should keep working just fine for a long time.
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good to know and, from experience, 418.88 is the last on that worked for me so what I am still using. I guess I just stay with that then. :(
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faraclas wrote:
Good point. It is an nvida quadro

Code:
02:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107GLM [Quadro K1100M] (rev a1)

Looking at the nvidia release notes for supported cards https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/152590/en-us I am not finding this here. Does this mean I am out of luck?[/url]

More informative page is

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/

click on each driver to see the support.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
nvidia site tells me the last driver to support this gpu is 418.113, so rather than the setup being the problem is just that the gpu won't work with newer drivers at all :(

Edit: I'd recommend to just keep things as-is and disable libglvnd, likely more suitable. It should keep working just fine for a long time.

But from currently maintained drivers, it is actually 390.x series is the last one which has support for this card. 418 is not maintained anymore and 435 does not have the support.
Ionen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of 390, it may actually still be possible for you to use libglvnd after all.

I don't know if it'll go anywhere or if anything prevents it, but see bug #711942.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: