[RESOLVED] Kbd/mouse input stopped working w update/upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: [RESOLVED] Kbd/mouse input stopped working w update/upgrade Reply with quote

Liva X system devoted to running MythTV (combination FE/BE). Old kernel from the 3.x series. Wireless keyboard/mouse combo is Logitech K400r (tried a USB keyboard/mouse as well with no success). Also have flirc device for remote.

I sort of lost control of this system a few months ago when MythTV FE, then BE started segfaulting on me. Got a bit lax about doing system updates/upgrades. Interacting with the system via keyboard/mouse combo was working fine during this period, though.

Decided to try a full system update/upgrade a couple of days ago and after that, MythTV seems to be running normally. But the problem now is that I can only interact with the system via ssh session, since it does not react to any keyboard/mouse input I've tried.

I was previously using evdev but decided perhaps there could be a conflict on this system with libinput. So I followed directives found at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Libinput to see whether a switch to libinput might resolve the issue. But it has not had any effect. Neither the USB keyboard/mouse combo plugged directly into the computer nor the Logitech keyboard (or the flirc remote, for that matter) elicit any response from the system.

Recent Xorg log at http://dpaste.com/0C0XMFV (shows output with old Ortek EKB-2150 USB keyboard/mouse attached for testing purposes)

Help and/or input will be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by jamtat on Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just confirmed that if I cause the system to start without X (no evilwm and no mythfrontend), the Logitech keyboard works for inputting text to the console. So definitely the problem relates to whatever enables keyboard/mouse input under Xorg on this system.

(Guess the fact that it concerns X is an indication I should have posted this in the Desktop Environments forum: can I request it be moved there?)
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamtat wrote:
(Guess the fact that it concerns X is an indication I should have posted this in the Desktop Environments forum: can I request it be moved there?)
Yes. You get best results by reporting your thread, but a clear statement of intent in the thread itself usually works once a moderator happens to read the thread.

Moved from Kernel&Hardware to Desktop Environments based on the poster's question above.
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried switching back from libinput to evdev but I am still unable to do any keyboard/mouse input under X. Kind of at a loss for what else to try. I do run an old kernel on this system (3.18.x); could that have any effect on this issue? Any input, leads, encouragement, etc of any kind will be much appreciated.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the old kernel could be behind it, but on principle, I would recommend that you run something more current.
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went ahead and compiled a new kernel (4.19.x). Like I suspected would be the case, booting the system with this new kernel has no effect on the lack of mouse/keyboard functionality under X I've been experiencing in the wake of my recent update/upgrade.

Will post latest Xorg log when re-compilation of package completes.
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem resolved. I had followed this https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Non_root_Xorg at some point in the past yet had somehow neglected to add my user to the input group. And, strangely, that somehow never interfered until my most recent update/upgrade. Anyway, once I determined that I'd neglected to add my user to the input group (by issuing "groups" from the command line as user), I just ran usermod -a -G input user per the wiki and, on next boot, mouse/keyboard were working fine for inputting under X. So, issue resolved here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: