Securing /etc - script for Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lutel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Securing /etc - script for Gentoo Reply with quote

Hello,

I've found that /​etc permissions are bit loose and can be secured to much more strict permissions. This is script i'm using for Gentoo servers, default/linux/amd64/17.1 profile. If you like to use it in your environment, please test. For me all services works, but your mileage may vary. Please update this post if you find any other services that should be corrected. Maybe these permissions will be corrected in Gentoo default install.

Code:
chmod -R go-rwx /​etc
chmod -R u+rwX /​etc
chmod 0711 /​etc /​etc/{postgresql-*,bash,terminfo,terminfo/*,ssl,portage,mail,xml,dovecot,dovecot/sieve,vim,ssl/certs}
chmod 0640 /​etc/amavisd.conf
chmod 0644 /​etc/{passwd,group,profile,profile.env,bash/bashrc,bash/bash_logout,DIR_COLORS,terminfo/*/*,resolv.conf,ssl/openssl.cnf,sandbox.d/*,sandbox.conf,nsswitch.conf,host.conf,hosts,services,protocols,spamassassin/*,wgetrc,ld.so.conf,ld.so.conf.d/*,ld.so.cache,xml/docbook,xml/catalog,dovecot/sieve/*,mime.types,vim/*,ssl/certs/*.crt,man_db.conf,*-release}
chmod -R 0700 /​etc/local.d/*.st* /​etc/init.d
chmod -R go+rX /​etc/{sandbox.d,mail/spamassassin,ld.so.conf.d,fonts,pango,env.d}

[Moderator edit: changed [quote] tags to [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc is own by root:root with of course no write for users, anything you do next to that is like adding some adhesive tape on your safe
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn makes an excellent point, but even if you correct for that problem, use of --recursive at such a coarse level is very dependent on what you have installed, and could easily break a system with different packages and requirements. Your post would be generally safer and more helpful if you listed mode changes on specific files, ideally broken out per package so that interested readers could patch specific packages more readily.

I'm a bit surprised you did not also advocate chmod go-r / /*. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: