View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linx_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I also use Mint some, and most of my job is built around Arch. Those are both noncommercial distros just like Gentoo, but you don't see the kind of package rot in those like you do in Gentoo. I don't love Arch for a long list of reasons, but the way it's maintained is top shelf.

Anyway, all of that's neither here nor there to my problem. Marking as solved.
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linx_ wrote:
If Gentoo is going to be a professional, polished distro that lives in the same space as Arch, Kali, Debian, and others, users can't be limited to what the devs personally use because that's not a distro.

I do not consider professional or non-professional distribution if in that is missing a DE (in this case mate), especially if there is an alternative like xfce.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linx_, is Arch better maintained for your use case because it has developers who contribute time to things they don't need, in the hope that it is useful to someone, or because Arch had the luck of attracting developers who care about the same things you do? Any distribution that relies on volunteers risks finding itself with no one who will do the drudge work required to keep the system going.

Gentoo's philosophy of choice is great for users, but it doesn't mean developers will or must work on particular projects just to ensure that users have choices. Rather, it means that if a choice reasonably can be supported, it probably will be. If no developer wants to work on a project, then that project won't be worked, even if the lack of work means users have fewer choices.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: