View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C1REX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Planing to come back to Linux. How is Gentoo today comparing Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm just a casual user. The last time I was using it it was like 10-15 years ago. It was decently popular back then before Ubuntu and Arch Linux became known.

So how is it today? My only but big problem was constant errors with updates. Always some dependencies missing or something. Does updates work or should I be ready to fix problems whenever I want to update world?

If you like Gentoo you can thank devs here - https://www.gentoo.org/donate/
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use stable packages and don't tinker too much with USE flags... yes. Updates tend to go quite smoothly.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge handles updates a lot better than it did in 2004. The biggest improvement is that it won't remove C-library dependencies from the disk until all other programs are upgraded to stop using them, something that used to require a lot of manually stopping to run revdep-rebuild in the past.
duane
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two or three updates blocked by one package or another over the last year or so. In every case, I let the update do as much as it could initially, then restarted the emerge, by which point the rest of the update went normally.

The last serious issue I had was an update to the x86 version of rust, which had an actual bug several years ago. Even that was easy to get around after reading the bug report.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Know your hardware. Building a kernel is easy if you know all of the drivers and features you need.
2. Portage is fantastic and has been vastly improved since 2004.
3. Blocks on upgrades happen on occasion, but the explanations tend to be clear with solutions often being quite simple.
4. Update relatively frequently to avoid having a mess on your hands.
5. It's Gentoo, of course it's brilliant.
C1REX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
1. Know your hardware. Building a kernel is easy if you know all of the drivers and features you need.

Is it easier than before? I remember it was the easiest distro to compile my own kernel. Other debians, mandrake, red hat etc were giving me plenty of errors due to many scripts attached to kernels.

sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
2. Portage is fantastic and has been vastly improved since 2004.
5. It's Gentoo, of course it's brilliant.

Yes, that. I keep in mind that we are attempting to put together a cohesive and reliable system drawing from thousands of open source projects all of which are in a constant state of churn with minimal testing and usually poor coding practices. Getting any set of (in my case) 2000 of those sources built together is difficult, even before we try to take advantage of each one's configurability via USE choices.

In Gentoo there are about 19000 unique packages available and each one is easily configured for your needs and almost always builds without any fuss. But you do have to fuss with a build once in a while.

You can leave ALL of that integration work to others by running Debian and get access to about 29000 packages but without any choice about options and dependencies -- you will run it the way they chose to configure it or if you need something different you will face a more difficult task of modification than if you were using Gentoo in the first place.

You also can leave ALL of that integration work to others by running Arch and get access to the more common packages (about 8500 binary packages), get no choice about compile options and dependencies, and if you want packages that they don't compile for you in the base and community repos you'll have to resort to building from source code using the AUR scripts, which, when they even work, will give you a hodge-podge system that is not all under the control of pacman and is prone to break.

I find that when a Gentoo package doesn't emerge without fuss that the error messages** given by emerge are really good, incredibly informative, and point to an easy fix. It does happen when using unstable ebuilds (as I do) that once in a blue moon some package actually can't be built -- check the bug reports, file one if necessary and wait a couple of days for a corrected ebuild.

** so learn how to read emerge's error messages and read them very carefully believing that The Answer Is There.

FreeBSD gives some of the flexibility of Gentoo, all of their 27000 packages are available as binaries or can be built from source with some configurability via OPTIONS, and their engineering practices are on a par with Gentoo (they do good work). A lot of the Linux desktops and video drivers either aren't available on FreeBSD or don't run as well as they do in Linux. Having ZFS available in Gentoo has been game-changer for me and Gentoo seems to be the optimal system.
C1REX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sitquietly wrote:

What exactly compiling options do you need that other distro can't offer you?

In the past people were prising Gentoo for speed and size but it doesn't matter on modern machines.

I like gentoo for fun and how clean vanilla it tastes :)

duane
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1REX wrote:

For my part, I like that I can easily lock out systemd, pulseaudio, dbus, consolekit, and company; and still have a working, easy to upgrade system, start X without root, etc. (And if I decide I want them back, it's easy to do.) I love the patches directory -- that's worth the price of admission by itself.

You can compile the system you want starting from pretty much any distribution, but gentoo makes it almost trivial both to set up, and to upgrade.
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1REX wrote:
sitquietly wrote:

USE="-systemd" is very important to me -- systemd has made serious trouble for me in the past and its rapid sprouting of new features is unacceptable to me -- only Gentoo allows me to run a linux with all of my math/science software with a solid and stable startup of services (with OpenRC). System services have been as reliable as FreeBSD for me.

USE="-consolekit -policykit -udisks -elogind -activities -zeroconf" is also a huge step for me which is not available in the alternative projects like Debian or Arch. This system is fast and clean like 1990 again. (Latency of response at the terminal was approx 5 ms in 1985 and is generally over 100 ms now). You'll never know what a fast response feels like without running a clean Gentoo installation.

I get to run kde and gnome apps that l like, use openblas as my blas implementation, get complete support for the programming and scripting languages that I like, get good support for the ada language and sage math, without any poorly engineered and unnecessary complications like avahi and *kit or systemd ... you get the picture.

Last edited by sitquietly on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One warning - you increasingly need a fast modern cpu to run Gentoo - specifically to compile certain big packages, especially web browsers, firefox, chromium, but also libreoffice and qtwebengine (which is basically chromium again). I've finally had to replace my 13-year old 4 processor 1.6 GHz box 'cos "emerge --update" runs were taking over 12 hours... There are pre-compiled binary packages (firefox-bin etc.) for several of the worse offenders, but if you use a lot of them, you might as well run Arch linux and save all the compilation, at the cost of reduced customization.
C1REX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
One warning - you increasingly need a fast modern cpu to run Gentoo - specifically to compile certain big packages, especially web browsers, firefox, chromium, but also libreoffice and qtwebengine (which is basically chromium again). I've finally had to replace my 13-year old 4 processor 1.6 GHz box 'cos "emerge --update" runs were taking over 12 hours... There are pre-compiled binary packages (firefox-bin etc.) for several of the worse offenders, but if you use a lot of them, you might as well run Arch linux and save all the compilation, at the cost of reduced customization.

I was using Gentoo on Duron 800 with 256MB :) For a noob like me it took a week to install. Luckily I had all printed out.

How does Gentoo work on popular modern setups?

I'm thinking of Ryzen3600 + rx5700xt.

sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
... There are pre-compiled binary packages (firefox-bin etc.) for several of the worse offenders, but if you use a lot of them, you might as well run Arch linux and save all the compilation, at the cost of reduced customization.

Maybe you meant to say "but if you use a lot of the *-bin packages, you might as well run Calculate Linux and save all the compilation, yet still be able to customize USE flags for all of the smaller packages." ??

(Calculate Linux has more binary packages available than Arch Linux -- >13000 packages vs <9000 -- and yet uses The Full Power of emerge 8) and the Gentoo portage tree with its 28000 packages.)

Check Calculate Linux. I apologize for mentioning Calculate yet again on the forum but it does a disservice to potential Gentoo users to suggest that the binary-package alternative to source-based Gentoo is Arch. I think that the natural alternative for those who can't build everything from scratch is Calculate. I hope my comment is helpful to some...
C1REX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sitquietly wrote:
Goverp wrote:
... There are pre-compiled binary packages (firefox-bin etc.) for several of the worse offenders, but if you use a lot of them, you might as well run Arch linux and save all the compilation, at the cost of reduced customization.

Maybe you meant to say "but if you use a lot of the *-bin packages, you might as well run Calculate Linux and save all the compilation, yet still be able to customize USE flags for all of the smaller packages." ??

(Calculate Linux has more binary packages available than Arch Linux -- >13000 packages vs <9000 -- and yet uses The Full Power of emerge 8) and the Gentoo portage tree with its 28000 packages.)

Check Calculate Linux. I apologize for mentioning Calculate yet again on the forum but it does a disservice to potential Gentoo users to suggest that the binary-package alternative to source-based Gentoo is Arch. I think that the natural alternative for those who can't build everything from scratch is Calculate. I hope my comment is helpful to some...

Were there any plans to actually add more binaries to gentoo?
Gentoo is about choice so why not?

John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the developers chose not to. :wink:

Seriously, "choice" makes binary packages problematic. What choices should the developer make for you? For example, libreoffice has in excess of 25 independently selectable USE flags. That means, not considering CFLAGS, it can be built in over 33 million different ways.

In an attempt to make certain very large packages practical on certain less capable machines, the developers provide a few binaries. I don't see that number increasing significantly in the future.

- John
C1REX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
I guess the developers chose not to. :wink:

Seriously, "choice" makes binary packages problematic. What choices should the developer make for you? For example, libreoffice has in excess of 25 independently selectable USE flags. That means, not considering CFLAGS, it can be built in over 33 million different ways.

My guess would be default flags from installation manual.
I understand it creates new problems and limitations.

I'm thinking of alternative Gentoo installation process where something like Gentoo liveCD binaries install on your PC and then give option to recompile or update to newer binaries that already exist for newer live CDs anyway.

Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1REX wrote:
Goverp wrote:

I was using Gentoo on Duron 800 with 256MB :) For a noob like me it took a week to install. Luckily I had all printed out.

How does Gentoo work on popular modern setups?

I'm thinking of Ryzen3600 + rx5700xt.

On that hardware, you'll probably spend more time waiting for emerge to resolve packages than the actual compilation will take. GCC is done in 30 minutes, Firefox 20.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1REX,

If you really want somebody else's Gentoo, you can install the binary packages provided on the liveDVD.
The current live DVD is badly out of date. A new install would be easier that updating an installed liveDVD.
I know that there is an updated liveDVD in testing.

The whole point of Gentoo is that its a toolkit you use to define and build your own distro.
Installing binaries on Gentoo is rather like putting yourself into a straightjacket.

-- edit --

There is no single set of "default USE flags".
The defaults are set in your the profile you select. On amd64 I have 31 profiles to choose from.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1REX wrote:
Muso wrote:

Is it easier than before? I remember it was the easiest distro to compile my own kernel. Other debians, mandrake, red hat etc were giving me plenty of errors due to many scripts attached to kernels.

As someone who was primarily a Slackware user at the time, and who started using Gentoo in 2017, I can tell you that due to improvements in hardware support, customizing a kernel specific to your machine using menuconfig takes a lot longer than it used to.

But in terms of compilation, which I did quite often as a Slackware user, things are definitely much faster now on multi-core machines. The slowest machine I use Gentoo on is a 2015 era refurbished laptop, i5-5200U, 2 cores/4 threads. I barely use laptops compared to desktops, maybe a few hours every one or two weeks. So I just compile when using it, and only have to turn it on specifically for emerge when updating the "long" things mentioned above by Goverp. I'm not a Chromium user and can't tell you how off the top of my head how long qtwebengine or LibreOffice takes, but Firefox takes about 4 hours on that laptop. And again you can use the binary packages if you'd rather.

EDIT: If you max out your motherboard's memory, you can move portage to tmpfs for a huge speed increase. Depending on how much memory your motherboard can take, larger packages might need to be excluded. See: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs
duane
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the complaints about compile time. I'm running gentoo, at this moment, on an intel core2 duo (circa 2006), with firefox, thunderbird, wine, openoffice, and the unstable kernel. I update it once or twice a week, and it generally takes less than an hour. It only took me 24 hours to do the initial installation, with no binaries after the stage3 package. And at the time I did the install (a couple of years ago), it only had 2GB of memory. (I've added some since.)

I don't sit there, waiting for the compile to finish anyway. It runs in the background, barely noticeable. Admittedly the older hardware produces more heat and eats more energy, but is that really an issue? Doesn't your TV suck up more power? If you ever play a game on it, you're wasting more energy than updating will use.

I guess it would matter if you absolutely can't run your system more than an hour a day, but it's hard to imagine a situation like that.
C1REX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redblade7 wrote:

Thank you for reminding me about tmpfs. I'm actually getting a new build with Ryzen3600 and 32GB Ram.

What performance should I expect? My last desktop was on Duron 800Mhz and 256MB RAM ;)

I hope for some improvement :)

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1REX,

If you have the RAM to build in tmpfs by actually moving to it you won't see any performance improvement.
That sound a bit odd to start with but given sufficient RAM, all the build products will remain in the kernels buffers.
You will save lots of disc writes that will never be read. That's a very good thing for SSDs, particularly the newer 4 bits/cell devices that are rated less than 1000 erase cycles.

tmpfs is just like any other filesystem to the kernel except that it has no permanent home on disk.

Your new Ryzen is going to spend a lot more time waiting than the Duron did.
Dependency tree calculation is either NP-Hard or NP-complete. That means its only ever going to be single threaded.
On the Duron, it used the whole CPU. On the Ryzen, it will be half of one core.

As a usenet sig used to say, "All Computers Wait at the Same Speed" :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1REX wrote:
My guess would be default flags from installation manual.
I understand it creates new problems and limitations.

I'm thinking of alternative Gentoo installation process where something like Gentoo liveCD binaries install on your PC and then give option to recompile or update to newer binaries that already exist for newer live CDs anyway.
Until it shows up or something more concrete is mentioned, presume that it isn't going to happen. That said...

Michał Górny in A distribution kernel for Gentoo wrote:
The primary goal at the moment is to test the package and find bugs that could prevent our users from using it. In the future, we’re planning to extend it to other architectures, kernel variants (Gentoo patch set in particular) and LTS versions. We’re also considering providing prebuilt binary packages — however, this will probably be a part of a bigger effort into providing an official Gentoo binhost.

makalega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2019/12/19/a-distribution-kernel-for-gentoo/
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sitquietly wrote:

USE="-systemd" is very important to me...

USE="-consolekit -policykit -udisks -elogind -activities -zeroconf" is also a huge step for me which is not available in the alternative projects like Debian or Arch. This system is fast and clean like 1990 again...

I get to run kde and gnome apps that l like...

+1 ! Exactly, like in good old 90's :)

I use also -gstreamer and -pulseaudio. I am happy with pure ALSA and with startx + Openbox + fbpanel + xxkb + parcellite + xrandr... in short, with no preinstalled Desktop Environment. (profile default/linux/amd64/17.0 (stable))

It's a huge advantage of Gentoo how easily a user can customize the system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: