gnome-base/gconf dependency on python2_7
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poe_1957
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: gnome-base/gconf dependency on python2_7 Reply with quote

Now that Gentoo oblige you to move to Python3_6 or higher I am stuck with this package which requires Python2_7 dependency. :!:

My single target is Python3_6 in make.conf and mutiple targets starts with Python3_6 and up. 8)
Now my world refuses to update due to this dependency. I refuse to use a virtual solution since this is a base package. 8O
Anyone a solution ?
I expect that the best solution is to make this package use Python3_6
Otherwise they have to support Python2_7 a bit longer OR make sure all apps are minimal Python3_6 compatible. :twisted: :
Ionen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not forcing anyone yet, just keep the target on select packages if you need it. Python2 packages that don't have alternatives are just going to stick around for likely very long unless they're mostly unused and without a maintainer. In some cases new compatibility packages have even been made to extend the lifetime of py2 packages whose deps are dropping support in new versions.

Still a few things that depend on gconf, albeit it's dead software (for 7 years now) that will never get another official release. Sooner or later it'll have to go regardless of py2, and will be after nothing in ::gentoo needs it anymore.
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you let the profile handle python targets (this mean to remove any python targets entries from make.conf) you won't have any problem
poe_1957
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Solved ok Reply with quote

REMOVED PYTHON in make.conf and solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: