Samba Securing & SSO
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Samba Securing & SSO Reply with quote

I am trying to setup Samba so that it will be also secure. The one problem I am having, is how to setup samba, to be like ssh in that you can authenticate using public/private key and/or a certificate instead of relying on a weak password. I know the users that will be using is computer illiterate and prefer to make it as easy as possible for them to access/use the shares while maintaining security. Do note, the end users are using Windows 10 machines not linux nor is any system connected to a domain, so no AD DC. Most documentation I've been seeing, all want to point to working within a domain setup, not as a stand alone server.

From my research, it seems there is 2 possible routes, one is setting up kerberos service to authenticate against. The other, is possibly is compiling samba with ssl and using SSLeay. Most of that seems to be pretty outdated, and possibly not applicable. If someone can direct me could direct me to some applicable references would be helpful.

Code:
ct85711@Oate ~ $ emerge -pv samba

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] net-fs/samba-4.11.4::gentoo  USE="acl client cups pam syslog system-mitkrb5 zeroconf -addc -addns -ads -ceph -cluster -debug (-dmapi) (-fam) -gpg -iprint -json -ldap -profiling-data -python -quota (-selinux) (-system-heimdal) -systemd -test -winbind" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6 -python3_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6 python3_7" 0 KiB
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: