Brave
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Brave is roughly a Chromium derivative, I feel I should point out LWN: The endless browser wars, and in particular this passage:
LWN: The endless browser wars wrote:
On January 15, the Chromium blog carried this brief notice that, as of March 15, non-Chrome builds of Chromium would lose access to these APIs.
Here, "these APIs" refers to various Chrome/Chromium (and Brave?) features that are backed by features provided by Google, including bookmark synchronization. Users interested in Brave should probably evaluate whether, and if so to what extent, that upcoming change will interfere with how they want to use Brave.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, but it would be quite amusing if it turned out the "privacy" browser was relying on Google.
TheGreatMcPain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brave uses their own servers for sync written in go, so I'd imagine that they'd be fine.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Since Brave is roughly a Chromium derivative, I feel I should point out LWN: The endless browser wars, and in particular this passage:
LWN: The endless browser wars wrote:
On January 15, the Chromium blog carried this brief notice that, as of March 15, non-Chrome builds of Chromium would lose access to these APIs.
Here, "these APIs" refers to various Chrome/Chromium (and Brave?) features that are backed by features provided by Google, including bookmark synchronization. Users interested in Brave should probably evaluate whether, and if so to what extent, that upcoming change will interfere with how they want to use Brave.

If I understood this correctly only the official google-chrome release will come with the key. Building the chromium sources on your own already will result in a browser without sync functionality.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzf wrote:
If I understood this correctly only the official google-chrome release will come with the key. Building the chromium sources on your own already will result in a browser without sync functionality.
That was my understanding as well. The open questions are (1) is Brave relying on those keys, or running their own parallel infrastructure? I don't use it, so I didn't look into the answer and (2) on a per user basis, if the Google-backed features are removed from everything other than google-chrome, will the user be unhappy about it? For me, I do not use cloud-based bookmark synchronization, so even if every browser removed that feature, I personally would not care. I know there are plenty of people who use bookmark synchronization, and they probably would care. Such people should therefore think carefully about whether they care more about staying off google-chrome or about having the Google-backed features work.
5UrNkC27BJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
franzf wrote:
That was my understanding as well. The open questions are (1) is Brave relying on those keys, or running their own parallel infrastructure? I don't use it, so I didn't look into the answer and (2) on a per user basis, if the Google-backed features are removed from everything other than google-chrome, will the user be unhappy about it? For me, I do not use cloud-based bookmark synchronization, so even if every browser removed that feature, I personally would not care. I know there are plenty of people who use bookmark synchronization, and they probably would care. Such people should therefore think carefully about whether they care more about staying off google-chrome or about having the Google-backed features work.

bumping a fascinating topic here.

1) does brave compile in any do-no-^H^H^Hevil closed-source bins?
2) is compilation of brave's own sync viable/transparent in 2022 ?
3) is there sufficient might behind portage-hosted ipfs options to look at cloud-ambivalent sync ?
rfx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
i reinstalled my System in the last days. Now i wanted to add again brave. After emerging app-eselect/eselect-repository & dev-vcs/git i wanted to add the repository, getting the error that brave-overlay is not in my repositories.xml . I allready deleted the repositries.xml and catched it new, it was not the solution. On GitHub the repository still exists https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/brave-overlay

Code:
eselect repository enable brave-overlay
--2023-09-15 09:38:30--  https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/repos/repositories.xml
Aufl�sen des Hostnamens qa-reports.gentoo.org... 2a04:4e42:6f::347, 199.232.189.91
Verbindungsaufbau zu qa-reports.gentoo.org|2a04:4e42:6f::347|:443 ... verbunden.
HTTP-Anforderung gesendet, auf Antwort wird gewartet ... 200 OK
L�nge: 255967 (250K) [text/xml]
Wird in �/home/rene/.cache/eselect-repo/repositories.xml� gespeichert.

repositories.xml                               100%[====================================================================================================>] 249,97K   691KB/s    in 0,4s

2023-09-15 09:38:31 (691 KB/s) - �/home/rfx/.cache/eselect-repo/repositories.xml� gespeichert [255967/255967]

error: brave-overlay: repository not in repositories.xml

Anyone knows why i get this error?
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfx wrote:
Hello,
i reinstalled my System in the last days. Now i wanted to add again brave. After emerging app-eselect/eselect-repository & dev-vcs/git i wanted to add the repository, getting the error that brave-overlay is not in my repositories.xml .

Looks like the answer is at https://gitlab.com/jason.oliveira/brave-overlay in the README
rfx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, thank you grknight. I totally overlooked that. Simple adding it by:

Code:
eselect repository add brave-overlay git https://gitlab.com/jason.oliveira/brave-overlay.git

Two more Questions, just visual things. When i start brave it asks everytime "Use brave as default browser?". I click yes everytime, also it is set as default in Systemsettings -> Applications (using Plasma). But still it asks everytime. I found some Posts from other distros as gentoo, as a brief summary, this probably has to do with the installation method, i.e. the overlay. In other distros, if this occurs, it is recommended to install brave via snapd, which probably helps. But that's not a solution, especially not with OpenRC. Does anyone else have this problem or is there a solution for this?
Screenshot here: https://iili.io/JH0w91t.png

Second: I use plasma (Wayland) and after pinning Brave to the system tray, the icon is gone, only a white sheet is there. I always thought it was a Plasma - Wayland - Brave thing that would be fixed at some point, but I have now installed debian in a VM and the Brave icon is right there. Does anyone have an idea about this?
Screenshot here: https://iili.io/JH0jsdg.png
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfx wrote:
When i start brave it asks everytime "Use brave as default browser?". I click yes everytime, also it is set as default in Systemsettings -> Applications (using Plasma). But still it asks everytime.
Have you checked Brave's settings? My version isn't current, but under Settings > Get Started > Default > Make Default. It was quite a while back when I set it up so I can't recall if I had that problem.
rfx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i set brave as default in plasma > system settings > applications and in brave settings > start > default
rfx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today i solved, or worked around "set brave as default browser". This was confusing and annoying. I had to set firefox as the default browser in the firefox settings, then go to plasma settings and change it againt to brave. Now when i open brave the question was still there. When i choose "use brave as default" the message appears every time i open the browser. so now i repeat with setting firefox as default, go to plasma settings and set brave as default, then when opening brave dont choose brave as default, simple click on the X on the right side to hide the message inside brave. then the message dont appear when i open the browser next time and it is set as default. confusing

But the second optical error that i am missing the plasma icon in taskbar after pinning brave is still there. my wife is laughing every time "ha is your perfect system not so perfect" :cry:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: