Webkit GTK breaks whole WL system unrecoverably
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManDay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Webkit GTK breaks whole WL system unrecoverably Reply with quote

Sorry if the title is somewhat weird, but it's actually accurate. I've had this problem for several years now, if I recall correctly, and have never even gotten close to a solution. So here is what it is:

First a bit of context: I've been using pure Wayland for many years now, and by pure I mean no X11 libraries or headers at all (which, until recently, was not possible with portage's mesa, so I had that in package.provided). I decided to do this, basically because I have no real needs for anything that depends on X11, other than perhaps, and that's where the problem starts, a working browser. Nothing fancy, even, no elaborate WebGL, mostly just websites with text and pictures and a bit of videos. There might be some Qt Browser which supports this, but since I'm a Gtk person I settled with the only non-Qt solution there is, which is WebkitGtk's "proof of concept" MiniBrowser (which, essentially, is just a GtkWindow around the Webview).

Bugs in WebkitGtk (let's just assume MiniBrowser, due to its simplicity, does not induce any bugs itself) would be one story, but "the thing" that happens to me is a whole different one which I can't wrap my head around, at all.

What happens is that it usually takes navigating through a couple of pages in MiniBrowser and then this starts. The pages don't even have to be sophisticated and it happens almost equally reliable if I turn off absolutely everything in the Webkit settings (meaning no JS, no Media, no WebGL - absolute bare bone setup), for which MiniBrowser has a small settings menu. When the issue sets in, pictures won't load, CSS won't load (as in the page renders like without or only partial CSS), Javascript won't work and cookies or anything persistent like storage won't hold.

So far, so bad. At this point one might still conclude some bug in WebkitGtk, but things don't actually end there, and that's when it gets weird. While MiniBrowser does have some cache in $HOME/.local for storage, it really shouldn't be persistent. Meaning if I kill it, delete all the cache and restart it, it should get back to normal. However, it goes on misbehaving where it left off. Cookies will no longer work, things won't load, and so on. It won't stop if I restart the compositor or log in, either. And other applications, most notably mpv, will often start misbehaving, too (e.g. segfault when attempting to display the OSD or adjust the brightness).

I do suspect this somehow is related to the GPU/mesa and possibly multiple issues somehow linked (as why would the GPU cause cookies to stop working), but I have no idea where to start. I hope someone of you might have an idea or a suggestion what I could do to fix this, as it doesn't seem to fix "itself" (as in, owing to someone's work upstream).

Compositor and Mesa are:

[ebuild R ~] media-libs/mesa-19.3.2::gentoo USE="classic dri3 egl gallium gbm gles2 vulkan wayland -X -d3d9 -debug -gles1 -libglvnd -llvm -lm-sensors -opencl -osmesa -pax_kernel (-selinux) -test -unwind -vaapi -valgrind -vdpau -vulkan-overlay -xa -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="i965 intel (-freedreno) -i915 -iris (-lima) -nouveau (-panfrost) -r100 -r200 -r300 -r600 -radeon -radeonsi (-vc4) -virgl (-vivante) -vmware" 0 KiB
[ebuild R *] gui-wm/sway-9999::gentoo USE="man swaybar swaybg swayidle swaylock swaymsg swaynag -X -elogind -fish-completion -systemd -tray -wallpapers -zsh-completion" 0 KiB

Oh, and the chipset with the GPU is an Intel Iris Graphics 550.
dbtx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say this happens, and rebooting doesn't help, so then what makes it go back to not-happening before it happens again? Do you simply wait? Is the machine off during that time? Have you ran memtest86 recently? EDIT: Sorry, I missed the part about "years" so I'd hope failing memory would have other suspicious symptoms across that time :(
ManDay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, no what I meant to say is that logging in and out of the terminal does not help. Rebooting is indeed the only thing that reverts things back to normal.
dbtx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap! I apologize. I read "It won't stop if I restart the compositor" as 'restart the computer'. I need to be closer to my screen.

The thing I can think of so far is that it could be scribbling over some capabilities or ACLs ...somewhere. Crossing over from "can't access web cookies from disk" to "can't access display device parameters" suggests (to me, in my ignorance) that permissions could have changed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: