Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
app-editors/atom: all versions fail to emerge.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: app-editors/atom: all versions fail to emerge. Reply with quote

The version of atom in the portage tree depends on electron-2.0.17, which fails to emerge on my system with a bug that appears to have been up for a while. I tried using a number of overlays. Emerging atom-9999 from either the "mva" or "petkovitch" overlays fails with this error:

Code:
/var/tmp/portage/app-editors/atom-9999/homedir/.cache/node-gyp/13.5.0/include/node/v8.h: In instantiation of ‘void v8::PersistentBase<T>::SetW
eak(P*, typename v8::WeakCallbackInfo<P>::Callback, v8::WeakCallbackType) [with P = node::ObjectWrap; T = v8::Object; typename v8::WeakCallbac
kInfo<P>::Callback = void (*)(const v8::WeakCallbackInfo<node::ObjectWrap>&)]’:
/var/tmp/portage/app-editors/atom-9999/homedir/.cache/node-gyp/13.5.0/include/node/node_object_wrap.h:84:78:   required from here
/var/tmp/portage/app-editors/atom-9999/homedir/.cache/node-gyp/13.5.0/include/node/v8.h:10400:16: warning: cast between incompatible function
types from ‘v8::WeakCallbackInfo<node::ObjectWrap>::Callback’ {aka ‘void (*)(const v8::WeakCallbackInfo<node::ObjectWrap>&)’} to ‘Callback’ {a
ka ‘void (*)(const v8::WeakCallbackInfo<void>&)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
10400 |                reinterpret_cast<Callback>(callback), type);
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/var/tmp/portage/app-editors/atom-9999/homedir/.cache/node-gyp/13.5.0/include/node/v8.h: In instantiation of ‘void v8::PersistentBase<T>::SetW
eak(P*, typename v8::WeakCallbackInfo<P>::Callback, v8::WeakCallbackType) [with P = Nan::ObjectWrap; T = v8::Object; typename v8::WeakCallback
Info<P>::Callback = void (*)(const v8::WeakCallbackInfo<Nan::ObjectWrap>&)]’:
../node_modules/nan/nan_object_wrap.h:66:61:   required from here
/var/tmp/portage/app-editors/atom-9999/homedir/.cache/node-gyp/13.5.0/include/node/v8.h:10400:16: warning: cast between incompatible function
types from ‘v8::WeakCallbackInfo<Nan::ObjectWrap>::Callback’ {aka ‘void (*)(const v8::WeakCallbackInfo<Nan::ObjectWrap>&)’} to ‘Callback’ {aka
 ‘void (*)(const v8::WeakCallbackInfo<void>&)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
make: *** [leveldown.target.mk:123: Release/obj.target/leveldown/src/batch.o] Error 1
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: `make` failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/lib64/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:194:23)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:305:20)
gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:275:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 5.4.7-gentoo
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/lib64/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /var/tmp/portage/app-editors/atom-9999/work/atom-9999/script/node_modules/leveldown
gyp ERR! node -v v13.5.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.0.5
gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! leveldown@4.0.2 install: `prebuild-install || node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the leveldown@4.0.2 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /var/tmp/portage/app-editors/atom-9999/homedir/.npm/_logs/2020-01-04T07_23_28_566Z-debug.log

(this looks also to be an error due to vpx API breakage).

atom-1.34* from the chaoslab overlay fails on emerging the dependency apm, with another error about API breakage, this time with nan. Same person filed that bug, here.

Both bug reports for electron (2.* and 3.* branches) are forwarded to maintainer-needed, which leads me to believe they aren't being updated.

So, my question is twofold: is there any version of atom that can emerge on an up-to-date ~arch system? If you got it to work, how'd you do it?

Second, failing the first question: is there any other text editor that has the functionality that atom has? Preview window for tex, md, etc.; latex and git integration; contextual highlighting; all that sort of thing?

Thanks for the help,

EE
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And try to create an ebuild for atom-bin?
Makersmarx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This overlay works great https://github.com/jorgicio/jorgicio-gentoo-overlay/tree/master/app-editors and they are awesome enough to also include VS Code as well if that's an option for you. You can also just clone Atom from git and compile yourself https://flight-manual.atom.io/hacking-atom/sections/hacking-on-atom-core/#platform-linux

Edit: Also to add for Electron you can utilize npm to install https://electronjs.org/docs/tutorial/installation
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makersmarx wrote:
You can also just clone Atom from git and compile yourself https://flight-manual.atom.io/hacking-atom/sections/hacking-on-atom-core/#platform-linux
How is that different from using the -9999 ebuild that OP tried to use, which, as shown, fails?
Makersmarx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Makersmarx wrote:
You can also just clone Atom from git and compile yourself https://flight-manual.atom.io/hacking-atom/sections/hacking-on-atom-core/#platform-linux
How is that different from using the -9999 ebuild that OP tried to use, which, as shown, fails?

Ya, good point @Hu. My cafe hadn't kicked in apparently as I was typing. @OP if your ok with binary, Atom-bin installs fine for me from jorgicio overlay that I listed and was just bumped to the newest available version 1.42. There are others as well to meet your needs, VScode (Also in jorgicio overlay) could help meet your needs with git and https://github.com/James-Yu/LaTeX-Workshop extension.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, atom-bin is exactly what I was looking for, so I'll try that overlay.

Thanks Makers!

EE
Makersmarx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it working @ExecutorElassus. Have a great day!
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This overlay is also a great help to me.
I have run into the problems with the atom and electron packages, and now it looks like vscode is getting more maintenance.
It would be really great if the official tree had these packages.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: