Recommendation for a second DE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Recommendation for a second DE Reply with quote

I am a fairly comfortable i3 window manager user, but now would like to expand my options for the gentoo desktop pc to some more multi-user and ease of use options. I want something intuitive like gnome or xfce, but wondering what other suggestions there might be for a good 2nd desktop environment that I will run.

I prefer low on resources, so that is why probably not going to go with Enlightenment or KDE. Any good suggestions?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using i3 now for quite a while, and its the least annoying one I've used.

If you haven't tried them, I think these worth trying. Both fluxbox and fvwm are probably on the low end of "ease of use." I don't recall e16 being that resource heavy, but I hated it so didn't use it for long.
e16
fluxbox
fvwm
lumina
lxqt
windowmaker
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply,
I've done some of these, like fluxbox and the problem is I am going for ease of use not for me but for possibly setting up my computer somewhere that other people could use it. Therefore I really need somthing "stable" that won't easily go wrong.

What is lxqt?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
*  lxqt-base/lxqt-meta
      Latest version available: 0.14.1-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 0 KiB
      Homepage:      https://lxqt.org/
      Description:   Meta ebuild for LXQt, the Lightweight Desktop Environment
      License:       metapackage
Very loosely, I'd put it in a comparable "tier" as Xfce. Of course, YMMV.

I think once you look beyond Gnome, KDE and Xfce, you're probably going to have more setup work and possibly more maintenance work (to get the enfvironment the way you want it). I haven't perceived any stability issues due to bugs if that's the type of stability you mention. I think other than fluxbox and fvwm, the others are suitable candidates to evaluate after the previously mentioned "big 3". If you've used some and already eliminated them, that's fine. But I don't see anything else in portage that would seem to qualify.
AJM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Therefore I really need somthing "stable" that won't easily go wrong.

You don't get much more stable than WindowMaker... I've been using it since the 90s and can't remember even once having any kind of problem with it! For use by others you'd want to set a few icons to launch the basic apps they're going to need, along with a file manager of some sort.
etnull
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with openbox with some custom made panel(tint2 is something people often use), and a set of lxde floating apps. The only thing I don't like in openbox is its configs in some sort of ugly XML format. There are other openbox-like WMs, but I think OB is the most popular, I had no issues with stability unlike with Plasma5.
JustAnother
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found myself trying to broaden my DM horizons, because xfce started acting up a bit, and I realized just how risky (that's right, risky) it is to rely on one DM. If it breaks after working for a long time, one is surprisingly helpless, unless one has a plan B DM ready to fire up.

Here is a good place to start: ask yourself what you really do 90% of the time. As for myself on xfce:

-> I almost never use the desktop icons.
-> I almost never have the blue desktop exposed. Active applications almost always cover the entire screen. I just jump between tabs and workspaces.
-> I just run a few applications -- firefox, mail, retext, gnumeric, tmux, and stuff within tmux terminals.
-> But I like the menus, which are reminders of what applications I seldom run. Otherwise, I'll forget what major applications are sitting there.

What this implies: the only things I really need are the ability to launch applications quickly and simply, and the ability to flip the full screen between various apps. And very configurable, to show just the desired apps with the desired breakdown.

i3 and sway can flip various application windows easily, but the app launch is not ideal. The dmenu list of apps has way too many things, and has multi-monitor issues. The dmenu-desktop menu has too few applications, and may clash with other DM's way of doing .desktop files.

i3 and sway have an extreme overlap of config commands, which means they can be married into one set of files that will allow one to jump between i3 and sway just by starting the other DM. That's a nice insurance policy.

Here's my idea: why not just write a batch file that can launch major apps from the command line? It would run in any DM. The idea is to be two key presses away from any application that is configured.

I'm playing with something right now. Structured data in batch in bash is not trivial, but it is doable.
duane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustAnother wrote:
Here is a good place to start: ask yourself what you really do 90% of the time.

I agree. My priorities are about the same as JustAnother's. For the last decade or so, I've just run openbox. I have the windows key mapped to a menu of most of my programs, but the ones I really use all the time are mapped to key-chords (c-a-b for web browser, c-a-t for terminal, etc.).

I don't need a taskbar. I don't need applets (though tmux shows me cpu usage, temperature, frequency, memory, and time of day at the bottom of my terminal windows). I don't need icons. I change the desktop background every five minutes, but I hardly ever see it. All that eye-candy just gets in the way. [If you really need it, maybe you should keep some flowers by your desk : ) ]
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also fvwm-crystal. It turn fvwm into a real desktop which exercise fvwm a lot. It provide different recipes (themes) with different looks. Recipes with less buttons imply a lower resources usage than recipes with more buttons. I have been using it from years and it just work. The icons on the desktop are optional and crystal provide 4 ways to support them:

- No icons on the desktop
- Via Rox-Filer
- Via Nautilux
- Via its own desktop manager. You can choose what icons you want and even define your own. It support several file managers including mc, or you can define custom actions.

A new 3.6.0 release is out and provide one more recipe with only 1 fully configurable button providing a modern look and a very low resources usage. It can be placed at any border of the screen and adapt automatically.

You can put any applications in fullscreen. And much more.

EDIT: 3.6.0 is out.

Last edited by Dominique_71 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for a second DE Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:

I prefer low on resources, so that is why probably not going to go with Enlightenment or KDE. Any good suggestions?

Enlightenment's selling point is that it looks good WHILE being low on resources. Efl can be a bit painful to compile on a 15-year-old HW, but with anything more recent it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. On my Ryzen it's less than a minute.
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate. essentially the Gnome2 interface. I've run it on an Athlon64 X2, so it's pretty low on resources.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: