Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn,

Every year, on the anniversary of becoming a dev, Gentoo doubles my salary. That's almost 2^14 times my starting pay now. :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Shhh. Those deals are supposed to be secret.)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
krinn,

Every year, on the anniversary of becoming a dev, Gentoo doubles my salary. That's almost 2^14 times my starting pay now. :)

you should had ask a fee per post, you would be the next bill gates by now :)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apurkrt wrote:
Will IPv6 be supported?
That is The Plan™.

krinn wrote:
desultory wrote:
In short, especially for not getting money out of Gentoo

You assume they gets no return
You could pay a publicity to sell your clothes, or gives free clothes to someone known that will wear them... just an example, not getting money doesn't mean you get nothing from it (and lot of opensource projects are made of devs that work for free, you cannot say they get nothing back)
I did not claim they got nothing in return, indeed I pointed out their sole request (from what I was told at the time it was never actually clear that it was a hard requirement) in return for providing hosting. I am not ignorant of the potential for benefit from that mention in the footer, but I do recognize that it is indeed just that: potential for benefit, there is no guaranteed return and thus no guaranteed return on the donation of hosting.
krinn wrote:
Even you, how much you are paid to be a gentoo admin :)
I let Neddy figure that out for me.
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing testing...
Are the updates ongoing atm?

I've been unable to post new topics.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
Testing testing...
Are the updates ongoing atm?

I've been unable to post new topics.

No, not yet.

Are you getting error messages, or how does the issue appear exactly?
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Are you getting error messages, or how does the issue appear exactly?
"error in posting" was the error message. But I think it was because I had ';' in the topic title. Oh well... [SOLVED] ;)
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overly long topic titles can cause that. I've had a few cases where someone posted a max-length title, then when I tried to reply, the forum auto-composed a longer title for my response, and my post failed. Blanking out my reply's subject gets past the problem, and I doubt many people notice the difference.
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason we're going with 3.2.x over 3.3.x? Also, I know you guys said "soon", and "will be announced a week ahead" and I shouldn't ask, but.... are we getting close?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarioCorleone wrote:
I know you guys said "soon", and "will be announced a week ahead" and I shouldn't ask, but.... are we getting close?
It's fairly typical that announcing it raises previously-unnoticed concerns that now need to be working on and likely delaying this for an undetermined period :) Not that I'm privy to what is actually happening.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarioCorleone wrote:
Is there a reason we're going with 3.2.x over 3.3.x? Also, I know you guys said "soon", and "will be announced a week ahead" and I shouldn't ask, but.... are we getting close?

Mainly just because 3.2 is more tested at this point. We may well end up going with 3.3 in the end, or at least update to it very soon, but only time will really tell.

As for the delay, if we can call it one at this point, it's ye olde pesky jobs of pay stuff that's been holding things up.

It's still happening, most likely within 2020! :]
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
(Shhh. Those deals are supposed to be secret.)
The über-secret retirement packages aren't too shabby either. Admit it, you only took on this phpBB* project to pad your pension. :P

*No one will ever convince me that the onomatopoeic quality of phpBB's name is accidental. I think Bill the Cat wrote it.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:
*No one will ever convince me that the onomatopoeic quality of phpBB's name is accidental. I think Bill the Cat wrote it.
You must have read the sources, or worse dug through revision history.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
side note one subforum that was never added that may have been of interest over the many years is a Gentoo Professionals collaboration subforum. perhaps with the forum update coming that could be beneficial or of interest to some gentoo users.

I think it's a pretty cool idea.
As much as I've always encourage people to develop skills rather than borrow them, I also recognize that sometimes you've got so much work to do, you just have to delegate it.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Quote:
side note one subforum that was never added that may have been of interest over the many years is a Gentoo Professionals collaboration subforum. perhaps with the forum update coming that could be beneficial or of interest to some gentoo users.

I think it's a pretty cool idea.
As much as I've always encourage people to develop skills rather than borrow them, I also recognize that sometimes you've got so much work to do, you just have to delegate it.
Perhaps, but given that the posting of what amount to help wanted listings is explicitly allowed by the guidelines (item 15) and how rarely that actually happens (I do not recall any since I got an account here), I wonder about the level of actual use it might get. Still, perhaps it is something to remind us about once we have new toys to break^H^H^H^H^Hplay with. After all, if it sees little use during a trial period, there would not be much to move to wherever else seems logical were it to be closed.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's been mentioned here...I've brought this up in other threads and doubt I'm the only one that would love this:

If I could have any change here it would be a new forum for general Linux (/UNIX) stuff not specifically related to Gentoo. Currently as I understand it, those are intended to go in OTW which just plain doesn't cut it for me.

Gentoo users are among the most savvy Linux users out there, and I can't think of a better place to be able to discuss general Linux related stuff than here...but it just doesn't have a suitable place for it as yet.

Tom
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld,

This has been brought up a few times over the years. OTW is not the right place. There be dragons :)

I point users towards Unsupported Software rather than OTW.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be "ignore this member" function available? I browse these forums often, just to read and be aware of potential issues, I have plenty of free time. Some members posts are real unpleasant [for me] and I would prefer not to see them. For instance people who run their computers as root make me sad, some think text-speak is cool - I think it is rude and childish. My point being I'd like browsing these forums to be an enjoyable experience for me and I'd like to filter out people who are poisoning it for me. Or my wish is too selfish perhaps? :roll:
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would like to see, but may not be possible - the ability to filter hits found in code/quote/etc tags from the search results. Sometimes I search the forums looking for a discussion of a use flag, or portage option, and most of the results are just emerge --info output.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Will there be "ignore this member" function available? I browse these forums often, just to read and be aware of potential issues, I have plenty of free time. Some members posts are real unpleasant [for me] and I would prefer not to see them. For instance people who run their computers as root make me sad, some think text-speak is cool - I think it is rude and childish. My point being I'd like browsing these forums to be an enjoyable experience for me and I'd like to filter out people who are poisoning it for me. Or my wish is too selfish perhaps? :roll:

It'd be a big improvement, but please keep it buried away in the settings as a last resort.

The worst users have a social media sized attention span and thus 99% of them bounce straight out of the site within a week, but when it comes to the ones that post a <capslock>Urgent! Unsolved!!! The NSA is hacking me!!!!1</capslock> thread every other day (for years on end), the ones that push buttons but aren't *outright* breaking rules, a mute button is really the only way to lower the temperature. I wrote a userscript for it a long, long, long time ago to preserve my sanity and have been using it sparingly ever since.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
I don't think it's been mentioned here...I've brought this up in other threads and doubt I'm the only one that would love this:

If I could have any change here it would be a new forum for general Linux (/UNIX) stuff not specifically related to Gentoo. Currently as I understand it, those are intended to go in OTW which just plain doesn't cut it for me.

Gentoo users are among the most savvy Linux users out there, and I can't think of a better place to be able to discuss general Linux related stuff than here...but it just doesn't have a suitable place for it as yet.

Tom
Taking this with Neddy's comment, are you (in the general sense) suggesting adding a subforum of Unsupported Software along the lines of "Not Even Gentoo"?

Jaglover wrote:
Will there be "ignore this member" function available?
Probably not, given that doing so in full generality is at least somewhat tricky (consider handling quotes in some degree of depth and you can at least spot the entrance to the rabbit hole). If you know of an addon for phpbb 3 that does what you want, do let us know.
Jaglover wrote:
I browse these forums often, just to read and be aware of potential issues, I have plenty of free time. Some members posts are real unpleasant [for me] and I would prefer not to see them. For instance people who run their computers as root make me sad, some think text-speak is cool - I think it is rude and childish. My point being I'd like browsing these forums to be an enjoyable experience for me and I'd like to filter out people who are poisoning it for me. Or my wish is too selfish perhaps? :roll:
Selfish, no; potentially infeasible, yes.

Section_8 wrote:
One thing I would like to see, but may not be possible - the ability to filter hits found in code/quote/etc tags from the search results. Sometimes I search the forums looking for a discussion of a use flag, or portage option, and most of the results are just emerge --info output.
It would technically be possible, the problem is that it would be too intensive to actually allow general usage of without throwing a properly large (enterprise class) database server at the problem, as opposed to a merely healthy (it still fits in one rack after all) database server.

Ant P. wrote:
It'd be a big improvement, but please keep it buried away in the settings as a last resort.

The worst users have a social media sized attention span and thus 99% of them bounce straight out of the site within a week, but when it comes to the ones that post a <capslock>Urgent! Unsolved!!! The NSA is hacking me!!!!1</capslock> thread every other day (for years on end), the ones that push buttons but aren't *outright* breaking rules, a mute button is really the only way to lower the temperature.
For that type of case, would simply "hiding" topics started by a given set of users be adequate? Such a list would necessarily need to be relatively small for any given user, given database sanity considerations (N^2 blocklist explosions are less entertaining than they might seem).
Ant P. wrote:
I wrote a userscript for it a long, long, long time ago to preserve my sanity and have been using it sparingly ever since.
This does raise the prospect of a client-side alternative, even the potential for essentially arbitrarily defined blocklists, though it has infrastructure considerations of its own. At the very least, it seems worth following up in a more suitably focused context.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Jaglover wrote:
Will there be "ignore this member" function available?
Probably not, given that doing so in full generality is at least somewhat tricky (consider handling quotes in some degree of depth and you can at least spot the entrance to the rabbit hole). If you know of an addon for phpbb 3 that does what you want, do let us know.

I don't know phpbb3 but in the demo under 'User Control Panel' there is 'Friends & Foes' tab where I read
Quote:
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.

I'm not sure if is what you want
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
tld wrote:

Tom
Taking this with Neddy's comment, are you (in the general sense) suggesting adding a subforum of Unsupported Software along the lines of "Not Even Gentoo"?
I'm not sure I follow as far as that title. What I was referring to was a subforum for topics on general linux questions, practices etc that aren't necessarily specific to Gentoo or any distro (but could in fact be relevant to Gentoo). I suppose some of that sort of thing, for example stuff regarding scripting practices etc are currently suitable elsewhere (like Portage & Programming). Until Neddy's post I'd never considered "Unsupported Software" for that, which covers it in a bit of a shoe-horned way I suppose...so now even I'm not sure frankly.

Tom
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld,

The intent of Unsupported Software is to advise readers searching for solutions before they post that what they find there may not work on Gentoo.
Windows posts would fit there rather than OTW.
I move non Gentoo support queries there, even for Gentoo derivatives.

The title "Unsupported Software" does not mean that you won't get support if you post there :)

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neddy! Yea, the Unsupported Software is a subforum I'd frankly not paid much attention to. I'll keep it in mind, as I now see what's suitable there.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: