systemd [need help]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sleepingsun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: systemd [need help] Reply with quote

I just try to build Gentoo system with system

Problem is i do everything like in Gentoo hand book and also build in kernel system ...

follow this:
Code:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd/Installing_Gnome3_from_scratch

Just need clean booted system without Gnome or Kde !

Also will try this

/etc/default/grub

Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rootfstype=ext4 real_init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd"

and this:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd"

mkdir /boot/grub (this doesn't work because i emerged grub and folder exist)

Code:
root #grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

this line if emerge latest grub cant do that ?

just work if i do :
Code:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and when i reboot i get kernel panic

any suggest and help howto up gentoo with systemd ?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using initramfs? If so, you should be using the line with real_init as the initramfs needs to later switch to systemd.

Unless you have a really weird setup, usually the kernel should be able to find systemd - unless it is having problems mounting the correct root disk. So the first question that needs to be answered - did it mount the correct root disk?
sleepingsun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just setup with official guide just different what i do is put systemd in kernel and from guide i compile kernel and starting from zero i do like all things in guide and also i manual compile:

Code:
/usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make && make modules_install
make install than

i set /etc/default/grub like write in guide make
Code:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

see my vmlinuz and in reboot i get error VFS root hd0.0 and kernel panic ...

also i check grub make it right in grub.cfg that is root=/dev/sda4

sda2 is /boot
sda3 is swap
sda4 is /

made sda1 as fat partition with 2M and option t 4 but doesn't put them on fstab

computer is older doesn't have efi

this is first time to up gentoo with systemd but wont to try and learn ...

Quote:
did it mount the correct root disk

i think not becouse its get me error VFS root hd0,0 panic error
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're missing root=/dev/sda4 on the cmdline. The kernel needs to know which partition to boot from.

If that doesn't work, can you take a picture of the panic and upload it somewhere (e.g. https://imgbb.com)?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually grub_mkconfig gets the right root disk but if the kernel doesn't have the right drivers for the disk built in, it'd also give this kind of error. Yes the screenshot of the panic would be interesting but check the panic and other initialization text whether it detected the hard drive or not. Keep in mind that grub detecting the hard drive is different from the kernel detecting the hard drive.
sleepingsun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to fresh install but maybe i do something wrong all devices as visible with lspci and fdisk /dev/sda

But also i know that is still live version till is boot but should be all drivers compiled i do like i do with standard way just change for option for systemd but meyba i made some mistakes and cant find them

here its image upload from panic kernel
Code:
https://ibb.co/TB1BNTL

eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the picture indicates that it could not find the root filesystem - did not detect /dev/sda4 - and hence could not find systemd either.

Check your disk drivers, make sure you have the driver for your disk controller(SATA?), filesystem (ext4?), disk subsystem (sd), etc.
sleepingsun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just play this few days and right now doesnt show anymore "root=" but still show VFS kernel panic

on old laptop i up and get same error and i try with genkernel with genkernel --install all and that way worked but i loved with manual system with make menuconfig ... if is posible ?

just do make && make modules_install and after make install than i do grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rootfstype=ext4 real_init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd"

No need to specify where to find systemd binary.
Also it is
/lib/systemd/systemd
You need to reinstall grub.
Also what is the
/dev/sda1 partition?
Are you using gpt with bios?
Please run
grub-install /dev/sda
Can u post ur fstab plz?
sleepingsun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as my computer doesnt have efi its older i think that new gentoo need vfat partition for bios install but not and its created like n create partition size 2M+ and with option t 4 but not put tham on fstab

My fstab is :

Code:
/dev/sda2   /boot        ext2    defaults,noatime     0 2
/dev/sda3   none         swap    sw                   0 0
/dev/sda4   /            ext4    noatime              0 1

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom   auto    noauto,user          0 0

Also recreated grub and same vfs panic kernel

Also its MBR no GPT
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grub is installed correctly else you would not see it trying to access /dev/sda4 as root.

I'm surprised genkernel didn't pick up your disk driver. Yes you can use make menuconfig and configure your own kernel, you may need to do that. What hardware do you have? Disk controller/southbridge? Might need to post your lspci and your kernel .config if your custom menuconfig doesn't work.

Try scrolling up when it panics and see if it found your hard disk. That is, if the driver for the disk subsystem is built in and not in your initramfs...

... which leads to whether or not your initramfs is being detected, when you do grub-mkconfig it should print out that you got a initramfs for your kernel - is this the case?
sleepingsun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genkernel - working, but i wont without genkernel to up system
will posted my lspci and kernel configuration later in this post

Code:
ls /boot

System.map-5.4..80-gentoo-r1
config-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
vmlinuz-5.4.80-gentoo-r1

Code:
/usr/src/linux/.config
https://dpaste.com/HU3TJTPE5

eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like my isp is having problems with dpaste.com so I can't look at that now. But the immediate feedback is that if you were intending to use an initramfs, it's not in /boot and thus you're not picking it up and using it. Initramfs can contain drivers and without them you may end up with a no-boot solution. Also real_init and real_root command line options are flags for initramfs to use, leading me to believe you were intending to use it.

But depending on your configuration you may not need initramfs and in this case you must have your disk drivers built into the kernel, but again without being able to see dpaste.com I can't tell.
sleepingsun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything's are ok installed but trick is that for standard init type of installation doesn't need initramfs but for systemd need it and i do it with "dracut"

and system is up and work fine but have another problem i install Gnome but doesn't up graphics

Code:
dmesg:
  8.939376] dhcpcd (334) used greatest stack depth: 12760 bytes left
[   44.479184] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-gnome\x2dkeyring\x2dsecrets-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.479414] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wacom-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.479594] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Datetime-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.479834] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-at\x2dspi\x2ddbus\x2dbus-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.480008] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.A11ySettings-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.480190] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sharing-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.480400] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-xdg\x2duser\x2ddirs-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.480762] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.MediaKeys-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.481003] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-gnome\x2dkeyring\x2dssh-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.481193] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Smartcard-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.481429] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.481718] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: gnome-systemd-autostart-condition not found: No such file or directory
[   44.481872] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Color-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.482063] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Keyboard-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.482254] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.ScreensaverProxy-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.482464] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-pulseaudio-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.482739] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.PrintNotifications-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.482945] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-gnome\x2dkeyring\x2dpkcs11-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.483132] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Housekeeping-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.483360] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sound-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.483551] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.UsbProtection-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.483799] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Rfkill-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[   44.484109] systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[441]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.XSettings-autostart.service, startup phases are not supported.
[ 1576.294852] python3.8 (18351) used greatest stack depth: 12688 bytes left
[ 1674.733486] python3.8 (22430) used greatest stack depth: 12608 bytes left

profile is systemd/gnome
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please run
Code:

systemctl set-default graphical.target
systemctl enable <name-of-your-display-manager>

NOT xdm.
Provided of course u have properly installed xorg and DE and drivers are ok.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always not use systemd and use like openrc
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
sleepingsun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yap djdunn i know but i wont systemd mu main server run on openrc but this computer i wont to up like desktop with gui gnome

Code:
alamahant
systemctl set-default graphical.target
systemctl enable <name-of-your-display-manager>

i try doesn't work

my display manager is gdm for gnome
sleepingsun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Genkernel --install all
--> do the job and work well but i wont to avoid this and compile kernel that support gnome system is up but doesn't up gnome and always same error what i post it up ... Just need help what i need to compile in kernel for gnome i cant find on gentoo wiki and google I and for sure i compile right graphic card and all drivers with
make menuconfig than do make && make modules_install than make install and dracut get initramfs and system up gnome i start with systemctl enable gdm.service and reboot and system up but error is show up as i posted up ... Please help
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
you might wish to consider
sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: