View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mu0n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, a correction: the SDDM greeter does not work --lightdm does work. After logging in however to a KDE session --there is only the mouse pointer: plasma does not run.

I also installed blackbox and fluxbox --both work (started from lightdm). That said, starting an XSession from lightdm does not work.
mu0n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: X greeter and login startup problem solved... Reply with quote

Good news... I've solved this problem and hopefully it helps others. This is what I did:

• I purged all dev-qt/* kde-*/* games-*/* xfce-*/* lxqt-*/* lxde-*/* packages, e.g., by running this script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    function get()
    {
       emerge -s '%@^dev-qt/.*' | grep '^*' | awk '{ print $2 }'
       emerge -s '%@^kde-.*/.*' | grep '^*' | awk '{ print $2 }'
       emerge -s '%@^games-.*/.*' | grep '^*' | awk '{ print $2 }'
       emerge -s '%@^xfce-.*/.*' | grep '^*' | awk '{ print $2 }'
       emerge -s '%@^lxqt-.*/.*' | grep '^*' | awk '{ print $2 }'
       emerge -s '%@^lxde-.*/.*' | grep '^*' | awk '{ print $2 }'
    }

get | xargs emerge -pv -C  # remove -p if one is okay with this!

• Then I reinstalled KDE (and anything not removed that was broken):
    Code:
    # emerge --backtrack=30 -uUDNav kde-plasma/plasma-meta @preserved-rebuild @world
    # emerge @preserved-rebuild
    # emerge -av kde-apps/kde-apps-meta

While this removed some programs I use, they are easily re-installed. Since X was working I did not remove it --I only removed packages running on top of X that were possibly an issue, i.e., largely KDE + some paranoid removals. After installing kde-apps-meta (i.e., to get plasmashell, konsole, etc.) everything is back to normal. Hopefully this helps others. :-)

I elected to do this since somehow emerge was still trying to pull in some old KDE v5.12 packages.
mu0n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On two additional Gentoo systems the same problem occurred when I upgraded (i.e., X works but KDE was non-functional).

The fix was per my previous post --except I only removed the dev-qt/* packages, i.e.,
Code:
emerge -s '%@^dev-qt/.*' | grep '^*' | awk '{ print $2 }'  | xargs emerge -v -C

and after this:
Code:
emerge --backtrack=30 -uUNav @world

(Do any required "emerge --backtrack=30 @preserved-rebuild"s followed by "emerge -r".) Then:
Code:
emerge --backtrack=30 -uUDNav @world

(Again do any required "emerge --backtrack=30 @preserved-rebuild"s followed by "emerge -r".)
Once this is done, do a "reboot" and everything should be back to normal.

NOTE: If you are using an older AMD graphics card (i.e., X driver radeon) you might need to specify some options in /etc/modprobe.d/amd.conf, e.g.,
Code:
options radeon mst=0 si_support=0 cik_support=0 auxch=0

I mention this since the radeon on one machine had callback failures, slowness, etc. after the upgrade --so I explicitly turned off newer features of the driver which I looked up with "modinfo radeon". Once this was done, I rebooted and everything was back to normal on that machine.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a rather complicated pipeline for what you need. If you have eix installed, then emerge -avc $(eix -I --only-names dev-qt/) should do the same, and it keeps stdin attached so that emerge can ask for confirmation. Using xargs is a good idea in principle, but for this use case, you should not need it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: