getting sound from 2 apps at once
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubbabyseals
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: getting sound from 2 apps at once Reply with quote

ok, after perhaps not searching for the right thing, i am asking...

in windows i usually play UT with the music turned off in the game and winamp jamming. so i have my mp3s and UT sound effects. i have been trying to do that with xmms but it does not release sound for UT. is there anyway to do this?

i have the most recent alsa drivers and xmms is using those.
unreal binds to sdl*.o something.

any ideas?
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is a linux short comming...but i remember reading some where taht there was fix or that it was being worked on ...not sure if its available yet.

if i have xmms running and i try to open xine it comes up quik then closes ...i think this is the same issue

btw i dont use alsa so its not limited to that sound server
orkid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can run more than one sound channel if you use a sound server (Esound or arts are the ones I've heard of). However, the sound coming out of your speakers will be delayed.

-Mike
surak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been trying to be able to do the same thing with UT too. I've had some success by making sure everything uses esound (i use gnome), and I can hear gaim chimes while listening to mp3s or watching movies in mplayer and stuff like that. Are you using the native linux version of UT or the windows version with WINE? From what I can tell, UT uses OSS sound, if that's of any help to you.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
i think this is a linux short comming...

Depends on your sound system and sound hardware. I've got an emu10k1 card that mixes audio streams in hardware...
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and this is more of a sound thing than a UT thing, so moving to Hardware forum.
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using a different xmms output plugin... Currently I'm listening to mp3's on xmms, mp3blaster, watching a movie in mplayer, and playing q3 with sound...

Using alsa...

You also might try ditching xmms and use mp3blaster on a CLI... quake3 takes control of X and doesn't let you switch out... mp3blaster in a console gets rid of that problem nicely.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of sound card do you have? If it uses the cs46xx chipset, you can get multi-open by using the latest cvs code as described here.

Otherwise, multi-open may or may not be supported in the latest alsa cvs (it's certainly not supported in the version you have. And your hardware may not support it at all).

If it's not supported, you'll have to go with something like EsounD or aRts, which mixes the sound in software.
clubbabyseals
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well....
I am running native UT.
i have onboard AC '97 sound running the via8233 driver
when UT starts it says that it binds to sdl-something.o and xmms is using alsa. so i guess that is my problem there, trying to run two different sound servers. is there anyway to make UT use alsa?
switching xmms from the alsa plugin to the oss output plugin did not do anything different...

Pigeon, are you using the alsa output plugin? did you have to do any configuring of anything?

i'm going to look into mp3blaster...

thanks.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont use alsa and always wondered (after reading all the config problems it has presented to some) why people use it...if it allows for sharing of the sound server like under windows then it certainly would be worth having.

i have a santa cruz sound card now and if i use arts for xmms and try to start xine which uses oss xine comes up and then quickly shuts down...i can seem to figure out how to get xine to use the libartsout.so, it keeps defaulting back to oss and the other sound options under audio look tailored for oss anyway.

any suggestions? just go to alsa with new kernel?...i am running the vanilla 2.4.19 now so i would guess i would need the gentoo kernel?
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel: Go to that post I linked to above. Santa Cruz cards have the cs4630 dsp chipset, so if you download the latest cvs of Alsa, you should be able to use arts and xine and quake all at the same time (all with sound, you should actually be able to have sound from 30 different applications at the same time). Also, you should probably see the desktop guide linked to from the main gentoo web page, which gives a little more basic idea of how to install alsa (the post I wrote assumes you already know how to install Alsa for the most part).

Oh, and if you do want to have Quake use alsa directly (because mmap isn't turned on by default for the cs46xx driver), you'll have to add the following to the end of /etc/modules.d/alsa:
Quote:

options snd-cs46xx snd_index=0 snd_mmap_valid=1 snd-pcm-oss

Good luck.

clubbabyseals: I don't really have any experience with the via8233 driver. You might go look at the alsa mailing lists (do a google search for alsa mailing list :)). Specifically, I'd search the alsa-devel mailing list archive to see if there's anything about multi-channel out for your card. That might give you some info.

Good luck to you too. :)

Cheers.
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my system I have more than one dsp device in /dev.
I can use both independently. I have arts running over dsp
and in xmms I have setup to use dsp1. Furthermore, I have set the timeout for arts to 2 sec, so that dsp will be available for other apps too.

for an alsa system (i use oss) i think there will also be 2 devices named resp audio and dsp. you should be able to use both at the same time.

PS. I have a simple sb128 ensoniq audio card.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Dolio i'll give it a go today and see what happens....'sounds' like fun to me
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i downloaded the cvs snap shot from aug 7th and it works as far as i can tell but nothing has sound. the sound drivers for alsa though work with the simple pop.wav test from the desktop howto....during boot everything is go

so what do i need to read or where should i start to get everything seeing the new alsa sound server?

quake3 loads to a blackscreen where i have two mouse pointers at some horrid resolution and thats it...i have to actually kill the power supply to get out of it.

EDIT: well i got xmms working...the problem was i started all ass backward...i started with the cvs and didnt install the alsa-lib from portage...so you can see where that would screw everything up...anyway i think i will be able to get it all going...thanks for all the input
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have xmms and realplayer making noise at the same time and i can play .mp3's in xmms and also run quake3 with sound...but i am not sure what to do with kde...should you disable the soundserver from the control center?...or let arts load like it normally does?

also if i edit the alsa-driver/pci/cs46xx/Makefile i get this after alsa starts at boot

Code:
/usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control :796: warning : index mismatch (1/0) for control #37
/usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control :936: bad control :37: value type

something like that anyway....i installed alsa once forgetting to edit eh make file for my sound card and i didnt get that messege.....atleast i think the two might be related

any ideas?

oh and one other thing xine will run now when xmms is running but thevolume control on xine controls the volume output of whats playing on xmms...and if i play xine no sound comes out with xmms playing

EDIT: ok i think i am getting this ...xine is working with xmms playing (still the volume control on either xine or xmms if they are both running adjust the volume of xine...havent figured out that yet) the error at boot was because i didnt completely configure the /etc/modules.d/alsa file... the desktop howto isnt very clear but i found an install file from alsa that filled in the rest.

i am still not sure how to setup the sound server in kde , i.e. should it be left to arts or should the sound server be disabled completely...i dont see any option to select oss for instance.

if anyone is reading this and has any suggestions , fire away

thanks

EDIT again: well i recompiled arts , then alsa was listed in teh I/O method , its all good now i think....much better then before alsa and i think i can get everything working that isnt as i find it (if its not all working now)

its been good though...i recompiled the kernel adn alsa drivers libs and utils from the cvs like a dzen times so kind has taken worry out of upgrading and reconfiguring everything.

ciao
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: