Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Chromium 78/79 and widevine: Netflix not working.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snaffinch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Chromium 78/79 and widevine: Netflix not working. Reply with quote

I've built Chromium 78 and 79 with the widevine use flag enabled, but Netflix says

Quote:

Whoops, something went wrong...
Missing Component.
We cannot find all the required components to play Netflix on this device. Please visit chrome://components, locate the WidevineCdm component and click the "Check for update" button."

The Widevine Content Decryption Module is indeed present under chrome://components. Clicking "Check for update" comes back with a status of "Component not updated".

Is there some extra magic required to get this working? I haven't tried version 80 yet, as the build takes 8.5 hours on my machine. That will be my next experiment, but I'm not holding out much hope. (I can watch Netflix using Google Chrome but that seems to use a different mechanism.)
ns4683
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with Amazon Video. I built Chromium 79 with the widevine use flag and it showed up in chrome://components. I really couldn't understand why it wasn't working. Then I read somewhere after Googling for a while that you need to use a user agent switcher to get it to work. So I used a Chrome user agent and the video works. Perhaps that can help you too.
snaffinch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ns4683: thanks for the suggestion; I tried it with a few agent switchers but it didn't help...

I found the Gentoo Wiki page on Netflix https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netflix,
and realised that although I'd built chromium with widevine support, I hadn't actually installed
the widevine plugin. I'd foolishly assumed that it would be built into chromium.
To watch Netflix in chromium you need to

• emerge chromium with the widevine use flag
  • emerge chrome-binary-plugins with the widevine use flag

It's now working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: