Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What web browers are 32bit powerpc users on?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingofravens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: What web browers are 32bit powerpc users on? Reply with quote

I was just wondering what web browsers work on 32bit powerpc machines (I have a Mac Mini G4). I got dillo to work but it doesn't seem to support https correctly, but a lot of others seem to have this or that compile issue. Since compiling takes a long time, I want to know which ones are worth attempting. Firefox 52 is too old at this point to be safe per https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox .
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epiphany works nicely. It's webkit based, so it will take a looong time to build.

If you manage to setup distcc you can cross-build it via network, wich shortens build time considerably. If you have any faster box than your MacMini (does not need to be ppc/ppc64). ;)
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epiphany needs webkit-gtk as a backend which was broken for some time on ppc. webkit-gtk-2.30.5 builds again if you use the patches from https://bugs.gentoo.org/775791

And so, epiphany should run again on ppc. :idea:
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epiphany got keyworded again on ppc as latest webkit-gtk-2.32.3 runs fine again on 32bit ppc. 8O

To work around colour issues you have to include the 2 be-patches from Void for the time being.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: