cannot run executables from Dolphin
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blind_Sniper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: cannot run executables from Dolphin Reply with quote

Cannot run any executable from Dolphin (by ckicking on executable file) after yesterday update:

Code:
The file: file//usr/bin/gimp-2.10 is an executable program. For safety it will not be started

Getting this message for any executable.

Though I can run it from konsole or from KMenu application Launcher.
What a heck is going here? Another one devs joke?
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go into Dolphin Preferences->General->Confirmations tab and check 'Executing scripts or desktop files'.
Blind_Sniper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply, it works.
Just wondering, how did we live till now without this restriction?
Adn what is a next restriction we'll get on next update?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind_Sniper wrote:

Dangerously.
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind_Sniper wrote:

I never runned an executable from dolphin I use alway krunner called with alt+space shortcut
Blind_Sniper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Blind_Sniper wrote:

Dangerously.

LOL.
How does it differ to run executable from konsole or to run it from dolphin?
If dolphin is dangerous it showld be just removed...
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With konsole, one missed click isn't very likely to run a program other than you intended. With Dolphin, it is. Suppose you have a directory containing a dangerous script and an image. You try to click on the image. If you clicked on the image, Dolphin runs the registered image viewer and passes your image to it. Your image opens, and you get what you want. However, suppose instead that you miss, and click on the script by accident. The script runs, and bad things happen. (The script doesn't even need to be malicious; it could just be one that does something very significant, like deleting files or restarting a critical server.) Now suppose you were using Konsole instead. The image isn't executable, so if you meant to open the image, you would've typed display and some part of the image name. If you make a mistake and try to display the script, you get an error from display that the input isn't a valid image, and that's the end of it. Nothing bad happens. The key is that Dolphin tries to guess what you want, whereas the shell requires you to declare it. The extra bit of declaration prevents minor mistakes from causing serious consequences.

I will grant that the error message could be improved. The answer that fedeliallalinea provided should have been in the original program output. I can even see some users arguing that there ought to be a third option "Trust me, I know what I'm doing" that never prompts and always runs.
Blind_Sniper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Suppose you have a directory containing a dangerous script and an image. You try to click on the image. If you clicked on the image, Dolphin runs the registered image viewer and passes your image to it. Your image opens, and you get what you want. However, suppose instead that you miss, and click on the script by accident. The script runs, and bad things happen

Disagree.
Following your logic we have to ban e.g knife because it's very likely you will chopp of your finger when cooking. Use bare hands, it's safeer then using knife.

Regarding mouse misclicking, it's not a Dolphin issue, it's a mouse issue. You can harm your desktop with bare mouse, even without opening any of Dolphin windows. So why wouldn't ban mouse entirely?
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind_Sniper wrote:
Following your logic we have to ban e.g knife because it's very likely you will chopp of your finger when cooking. Use bare hands, it's safeer then using knife.

In my opinion this is not true. The knife was created for cut something, there should be no other use so you know it can be dangerous.
When i double click something in dolpin I expect that is open for visualization or editing but not for the execution.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind_Sniper wrote:
Regarding mouse misclicking, it's not a Dolphin issue, it's a mouse issue.
It is a Dolphin issue, because Dolphin is applying the convention that "click to activate" can mean anything from opening a text editor to running a dangerous program. If Dolphin had a more nuanced protocol, such as "left click to do safe actions and right click -> context menu -> choose Yes, run this program" for dangerous actions, a missed click wouldn't be a risk, because users would need to stray very far from the safe option for a miss to matter.
Blind_Sniper wrote:
You can harm your desktop with bare mouse, even without opening any of Dolphin windows.
How? On my system, with the configuration I use, the most dangerous mouse-triggered action I have is "Logout and close all my windows" which, while annoying to do accidentally, is not very dangerous at all. Even there, that option is hard to trigger by accident because of where it is placed relative to things I normally use. I have accidentally logged myself out once in the course of daily usage over years, and that was when I was trying to run an action that was designed to be near the logout button. I subsequently moved that action farther from the logout button.
Blind_Sniper wrote:
So why wouldn't ban mouse entirely?
Yes, we should remove all pointing devices from systems and return to doing everything through the CLI. The proper use for an X server is to run many terminals at once. Switching between windows should be done through keyboard navigation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: