Abnormal keyboard behavior/minimal install CD 11/2019 on G5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stamasd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Abnormal keyboard behavior/minimal install CD 11/2019 on G5 Reply with quote

Hi there-

I'm trying to get Gentoo installed on a G5 powermac (dual 1.8GHz, early 2003) that is otherwise gathering dust in a corner. It has OSX Leopard installed on it, and it has space on a second HDD for Linux. I don't have the original keyboard+mouse, I use a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo with it, it works fine in OSX. The same kb/mouse works fine on a PC with Gentoo.

I burned the latest minimal install CD for PPC, put it in, held "c" down at boot and am presented with the boot menu; I can use the keyboard at this point to select the CD to boot from. Gentoo boots fine from CD, but the keyboard becomes unresponsive, any keypresses have no effect. I end up at the login prompt but can't do anything, not even scroll back to see the boot messages.

I don't have unfortunately any other USB keyboard that I can use, but I find it unusual that the kb works up until the CD boots - then doesn't. Apart from buying and trying another keyboard, is there anything else I can do?
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect this is due to missing support for CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH_HIDPP in the kernel used on the installcd. I'll add that and the next CD, automatically built in a few days, will have it.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done: https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/releng.git/commit/?id=03894e083208d875e6d095d8a1a80e39d3003448

Thanks for the report!
stamasd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, the 12/8/19 boot CD works with the Logitech keyboard/mouse combo. Thanks again!
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Glad to be able to help. Thanks for the report :D
stamasd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should mention that it works fine only when connected to the G5's built-in USB ports. I have a PCI USB2 card in it as well (VIA chipset-based) and when the Logitech receiver is connected to one of the ports on that card, it has a weird behavior in Linux (though works fine in OSX). It works normally for a while, then it stops accepting keypresses for a while, works normally again etc. Sometimes the characters appear with a lag of several seconds, sometimes not at all. But I guess that's a bug for another day. For now it works fine with the built-in ports, and I'm happy with that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: