[SOLVED] KDE&Plasma broken after update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] KDE&Plasma broken after update Reply with quote

Ive just run a massive update with over 500 packages. I update several times a week. Then I rebooted.

Now when I login to KDE, only my previous windows show upo, no task bar and no background. Luckily I know a few keyboard shortcuts so I can move around. The keyboard is also the default US, so I cant find the apostrophe and a few others on my Norwegian kbd.

I looked up the https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Troubleshooting and tried the following>

If the KMenu lacks any application or the whole application list, the KDE application database probably needs to be rebuilt. This is also a possible fix for any KMenu related issues, like missing icons.
user $kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental

The terminal answers>
leif@balapapa ~ $ kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental
kbuildsycoca5 running...
kf5.kconfig.core: "KConfigIni: In file /usr/share/kservices5/searchproviders/google_advanced.desktop, line 123: " "Invalid escape sequence \"\\{\"."
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Parse error in "/home/leif/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"
kf5.kservice.services: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/org.gnupg.pinentry-qt.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Invalid Service : "/usr/share/applications/org.gnupg.pinentry-qt.desktop"

what to do *question mark*

Last edited by leifbk on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried creating a new user to see if the problem is
misconfiguration of user files?
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing. New user only gets a black screen with the x11 mouse pointer. luckily it responds to ctrl alt del and Im able to log in to my own user again.

Edit Forgot to mention Im running tilde amd64.

Astonishingly, Kmail is working fine.
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive probably found the problem, if anyone can verify that kde/plasma 5.17.2 is the current unstable. When I depcleaned the other day, plasma-meta and a lot of packages went out the window. I ran emerge -av plasma-meta and rebuilding now.
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged plasma-meta and rebooted. Now I've got desktop background and a plain old Norwegian keyboard, but still no task bar.

Maybe I'm growing too old for this shit. I'm turning 67 next month. perhaps I should familiarize myself with n00buntu. Or go buy a Mac.

My new dummy user hasn't got a taskbar either.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's wrong there, I have a generic advice for you. I'm guessing the app responsible for taskbar is crashing in background. Have you tried starting in a terminal, by hand? We haven't seen your emerge --info. Weird stuff starts happening if you have been using some old version of GCC. Make sure you have the latest GCC enabled and binutils. Do an emerge -e @world.
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to create a new taskbar from scratch. It will probably take a few hours to get it back the way I had it. The options are cleverly hidden, and I suspect that the KDE devs shuffle them around whenever users get too familiar with them.

Since I started with an early KDE 3 in 2004, I've preferred to have a double-height taskbar with the applications in two rows. That will easily accomodate 20 applications spread over 6 virtual desktops. I can never remember how to get there, though.

I have no idea why plasma-meta ended up in my depclean. I simply supposed that it was superseded by something else.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nothing has changed there compared to 5.16.5. Now, if you previously had kde-meta installed, but for some reason did remove it, then plasma-meta may have actually never been in your world file and so it was cleaned up by --depclean.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: