boot openrccrng init done running restore state
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pescatore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: boot openrccrng init done running restore state Reply with quote

Icannot say what this is, never happen before. boot run at some lines after openrc and start to produce that "restore state" what goes and goes, I try to find where it stops but it didnt. I had to kill it.
When it was running that piece it was impossible to make notis of keyboard, dead. So it was switch off. Dmesg gave data of boot of livecd, that run without problem. Thats going on a week, computer out of use Livecd and try. Kernel 5.3.0 > 5.3.7 gcc 9.20 and so on.
pescatore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Fishing on to litle more and find that rc-status --servicel Reply with quote

going with livecd to chroot and using rc-status --servicelist gave same result direct after enter gome that restore status some hundred times. So I think that problem stays there somewhere after " caching service dependencies" but I cant find witch one. If i play a litle more with ctrl s prints out: 1364.735... random crng init done.
I am continuing fishing. ?
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new option in the kernel starting with line 5.2 (I think - not sure) called: Trust the CPU manufacturer to initialize Linux's CRNG (CONFIG_RANDOM_TRUST_CPU). Can also be toggled with a boot parameter: random.trust_cpu=on/off

The short story is: turns out you can hack a machine easier if you have access to the way that machine generates random entropy. /dev/random|urandom. So now, we can switch either way.

The behavior you see here is your kernel not trusting CPU random entropy. If you trust your cpu/machine just toggle random.trust_cpu=on or CONFIG_RANDOM_TRUST_CPU=y and crng will init almost instantly.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the CPU exploits from the last few years how can you trust it with anything
Especially something as crucial to security as your source of random numbers?

/dev/random blocks on lack of entropy and in used for crypto keys and the like.
/dev/urandom does not block but as not as 'good' a source of randomness.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pescatore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: restore state Reply with quote

I found a answer from one post 2011: culprit was Alsasound and its mixer levels. Alsasound conf and dont copy levels at start was right medicin. So I am an happy Gentoo user, again. In general I am very soddisfat with it. Thanks to al off you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: