Xfce black screen after screen went in power saving
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Xfce black screen after screen went in power saving Reply with quote

Hello,

I hate updates, they break things so often :roll: Last update brought new XFCE version and now every time when the screen enters power saving mode I can't get it back to normal mode. It just stays black. I see mouse pointer moving, but no matter what I do, the screen just stays black. Hitting Power button triggers restart and it goes ok. Nothing special in Xorg.log, just message about shutting down on request. Nothing in /var/log/messages.

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="i915 i965 intel radeon radeonsi"

Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sun PRO [Radeon HD 8570A/8570M]

Any advice? Or should I just blacklist new version of Xfce?

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
lovelytux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
here the same with the second Monitor, settings no xinerama! I tried nvidia, nouveau both failed.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change from 4.12-r1 to 4.14-r1 caused many annoying problems on the 4 systems I have at home and further 18 remote system I maintain remotely. I therefore returned back to 4.12-r1 and stopped all upgrading until Xfce is stable again.
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like no problems get fixed. So comes next question, how can I get previous version of xfce? I've tried to mask latest version and got error that there are no packages to install because the only available version is masked. What is the right procedure in this case?
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v_andal wrote:
Looks like no problems get fixed. So comes next question, how can I get previous version of xfce? I've tried to mask latest version and got error that there are no packages to install because the only available version is masked. What is the right procedure in this case?

You need the last version of the portage tree containing xfce4-4.12.?
Then install all Xfce4 related ebuild into your local ebuild repository.
Mask all Xfce4-4.14.? ebuilds.
Run emerge -av --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=300 --changed-deps=y --keep-going=y --verbose-conflicts @world and fix eventual errors.

I fixed my Desktop by restoring my last backup. Then masking everything above Xfce4-4.12 and did a emerge --sync and emerge update. Once everything was working, installed all Xfce4-4.12 related items into my local portage tree.

Viel Glück.
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:

Actually, this is my problem. I don't know where to find xfce4-4.12 ebuilds. I don't have backup and official Gentoo repo does not have them neither.

Best regards
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v_andal wrote:
C5ace wrote:

Actually, this is my problem. I don't know where to find xfce4-4.12 ebuilds. I don't have backup and official Gentoo repo does not have them neither.

Best regards

You can download my configuration, including /etc/portage, /usr/portage, /usr/distfiles, /var/lib/portage, /opt/bin, /etc. Make full backup of your system before you do anything.
Then download http://linux.c5ace.com/Xfce-4.12.tar.xz into /root/Downloads. Extract the archive and study the contents of the archives directories and files.

Now unmerge xorg-server, xorg-drivers. Then cleanup the leftovers with emerge --depclean followed by revdep-rebuild will also unmerge Xfce, libreoffice, firefox, thunderbird, rust, and others that take long times to build.

Delete the contents of /root/.cache and /home/(username)/.cache.

Rename /etc/portage to /etc/portage.ori; /usr/portage to /usr/portage.ori and /var/lib/portage to /var/lib/portage.ori. Also rename /etc/genkernel.conf to /etc/genkernel.conf.ori

Copy all directories and content from the archive to relevant destination directories.

You may have to change /etc/portage/make.conf: VIDEO_CARDS to vesa. (works with most video cards).

Disconnect your PC from the internet! All required distfiles are in the archive.

Now run /opt/bin/upgrade. If there are conflicts, remove the conflicting software.

You may have to newly install gentoo-sources and run genkernel all.

Run /opt/bin/cleanup

When Xfce-4.12 is working, reconnect your PC to the internet, reboot and run emerge --sync followed by /opt/bin/upgrade. This should give you back the latest libreoffice, etc.

Xfce-4.14 works OK except for the shi..ty display. In Thunar listbox the alternate gray background lines are missing. Raleight theme and others are all gone except Awaida. On my laptops, the laptopkeys, hibernation and powermanger don't work anymore. Ubuntu works fine except for thunar missing alternate background lines. Seems to be caused by gtk-3 "upgrade"

Good luck with the reversal to Xfce-4.12.
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you for files.

Meanwhile, I've discovered, that switching to Linux Console with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then back with Alt-F7 resolves the problem. At least I don't have to reboot every time when display goes in power saving.

Best regards.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: