Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Closed] Some commands just mess up the shell
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
genericspider
n00b
n00b


Joined: 16 Sep 2019
Posts: 16
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: [Closed] Some commands just mess up the shell Reply with quote

So I've set up an encrypted Gentoo installation, and I'm dealing with an odd issue.

After booting back into Gentoo from my non-gentoo live USB some commands just mess up the shell. For example, ip works, but ip list doesn't. This happens with emerge as well. Trying to emerge a package shows the "emerging x of x" line and just does nothing. Pressing CTRL+C says "Exiting on signal 2" and locks everything. This doesn't happen with a chroot. So far these programs don't work:
- ip link
- emerge
- wpa_supplicant (locks up after "Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant")


After it "locks" up typing in text just makes it display on the screen and does nothing. CTRL+Z, CTRL+C, and anything in the shell does nothing. I have to switch to a different tty. Killing the process doesn't save the shell/tty.

Any ideas of what this might be?


Last edited by genericspider on Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike155
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 1689
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell us more about your environment.
  1. Do you run Gentoo in a VM? Or on bare metal machine?

  2. Which CPU and graphics card do you have?

  3. Please post your kernel config using wgetpaste.

  4. Please post the ouput of
    Code:
    emerge --info

  5. Please post the ouput of
    Code:
    lsblk

  6. Do you use OpenRC? Or Sytemd?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genericspider
n00b
n00b


Joined: 16 Sep 2019
Posts: 16
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mike155

- I'm running Gentoo baremetal
- I have an Intel Core i5-4440 with a GTX 1060. I'm using the nvidia driver.
- Kernel .config file: http://dpaste.com/2GK23PH
- emerge --info output: http://dpaste.com/30WMBMS
- lsblk output: http://dpaste.com/0EA6ZWV

EDIT: I'm using OpenRC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genericspider
n00b
n00b


Joined: 16 Sep 2019
Posts: 16
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out what was wrong. The latest kernel was to blame. Downgrading to 5.2.17 helped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike155
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 1689
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you found it! :-)

I looked at your data - but I didn't see anything that could have caused the problem you described...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hu
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 14301

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genericspider wrote:
@mike155
You're welcome to address users like that, but this forum does not specially alert users who are @-mentioned in a thread.
genericspider wrote:
- I have an Intel Core i5-4440 with a GTX 1060. I'm using the nvidia driver.
Can you reproduce the problem, on an otherwise affected kernel, if you do not load the nVidia driver?

For future readers, since this paste will disappear and it was not mentioned in the posts so far:
http://dpaste.com/2GK23PH:
# Linux/x86 5.3.1-gentoo Kernel Configuration
# Compiler: gcc (Gentoo Hardened 8.3.0-r1 p1.1) 8.3.0
genericspider wrote:
The latest kernel was to blame. Downgrading to 5.2.17 helped.
Can you identify the problem more specifically? At some point, you will need to upgrade to a newer kernel, and if the problem is never identified and debugged, you will face it again when you are forced to upgrade for other reasons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genericspider
n00b
n00b


Joined: 16 Sep 2019
Posts: 16
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
genericspider wrote:
@mike155
You're welcome to address users like that, but this forum does not specially alert users who are @-mentioned in a thread.
genericspider wrote:
- I have an Intel Core i5-4440 with a GTX 1060. I'm using the nvidia driver.
Can you reproduce the problem, on an otherwise affected kernel, if you do not load the nVidia driver?

For future readers, since this paste will disappear and it was not mentioned in the posts so far:
http://dpaste.com/2GK23PH:
# Linux/x86 5.3.1-gentoo Kernel Configuration
# Compiler: gcc (Gentoo Hardened 8.3.0-r1 p1.1) 8.3.0
genericspider wrote:
The latest kernel was to blame. Downgrading to 5.2.17 helped.
Can you identify the problem more specifically? At some point, you will need to upgrade to a newer kernel, and if the problem is never identified and debugged, you will face it again when you are forced to upgrade for other reasons.


I completely forgot about this thread.

Simply using that kernel version seems to cause the bug. Most commands break the tty, so I don't think it's a specific hardware problem. I used the iGPU and the same thing happened.

UPDATE:
I found out the issue. There is a regression with the r8169 module. There is a BugZilla report here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204883
Just note the workaround there will make your ethernet not work, so stick to an older version for now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum