gcc8 complaining about openmp at bootstrap
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numaflex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: gcc8 complaining about openmp at bootstrap Reply with quote

Hello mates!

I was since feb neglecting any update on my system, so when it was time to update some big changes needed so i just nuked and now one is stuck at bootstrap just after emerging kernel, also let me ask, where the bootstrap.sh file is located at now? (not usr/portage/scripts anymore?) and i grabbed it at github if anyone asks : )

(i did a "&&" replace ";" change at the libc line)

Code:
>>> Installing (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.3.69::gentoo
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  [[ (3/3) Emerging packages ]]
!!! CONFIG_PROTECT is empty
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/baselayout-2.6-r1
[ebuild   R    ] sys-libs/zlib-1.2.11-r2
[ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/gettext-0.19.8.1  USE="-acl* -cxx* -ncurses* -openmp*"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/binutils-2.32-r1  USE="-cxx* -gold* -plugins*"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-kernel/linux-headers-4.19
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/texinfo-6.6-r1
[ebuild   R    ] sys-libs/glibc-2.29-r2  USE="-multiarch* -ssp*"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/gcc-8.3.0-r1  USE="-fortran* -openmp* -pch* -sanitize* -ssp* -vtv*"

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

sys-devel/gcc:8.3.0

(sys-devel/gcc-8.3.0-r1:8.3.0/8.3.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    sys-devel/gcc (Argument)

(sys-devel/gcc-8.3.0-r1:8.3.0/8.3.0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=sys-devel/gcc-4.2:*[openmp] required by (app-crypt/libb2-0.98.1-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
                          ^^^^^^
    >=sys-devel/gcc-4.2:*[openmp] required by (app-portage/portage-utils-0.80:0/0::gentoo, installed)
                          ^^^^^^

It might be possible to solve this slot collision
by applying all of the following changes:
   - sys-devel/gcc-8.3.0-r1 (Change USE: +openmp)

Also i tried to put this flag up on make.conf, on package.use and exporting it in the console before the ./bootstrap.sh but always ended up this way.
Is something funky going with gcc for now? should i just wait next stage3 release in 4 days and try again (i was using the one realeased today)?
I`m really ocd and like to bootstrap on a stage 3 install, i keep it really minimal afterwards with xfce and some other apps, and i`m doing exactly what i did before, i keep a one line install across 3 bash scripts.

I might look n00b but i`m just a n00b. Thanks in advance.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the exact error are you seeing that's reporting an issue with bootstrap.sh?

Strange that USE=openmp should be on by default or at least it's set on my system and I did not manually select it.

I'm currently updating a machine that hasn't been updated since last year. So far so good, did not need to start over...
numaflex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey @eccerr0r man!

Allow my not so good English, it happened while i was bootstrapping.sh

Just after installing portage it died with the above code message, about the openmp flag which would solve the conflict, i didn't set it in the first place my make conf use flag is minimal, just "-bluetooh -qt -qt5 -gnome offensive", and some per package.use, and i guess it's on the GCC emerge. I was like 2/3 version behind, first time seeing the 8 now...

Last install was fine (did this same way installing) but you known I'm an idiot myself and when bored like to start from scratch to get that feeling again. No problem spending 2 days compiling chromium once again. It's a 4gb 2ghz opteron-ss3.

I go with the handbook but just after emerging kernel package, i run the bootstrap.sh file twice (emerge e afterwards), i do that edit that pulls glibc insted of the virtual, and back to the handbook again.

Also do you know where it's located now? The bootstrap file.

For Now on i won't let months between an emerge sync, good to note this was my second install ever. And when started to upgrade portage was at a different version, gcc was versions behind, i just gone.ocd ftw.

Thank you.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh? It appears to have been orphaned on my machine so I'm not sure if it's being maintained anymore.

I've never needed to use it directly with the stage3 tarballs, what are you trying to do?
numaflex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Are you talking about /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh? It appears to have been orphaned on my machine so I'm not sure if it's being maintained anymore.

I've never needed to use it directly with the stage3 tarballs, what are you trying to do?

Yes it's apparently gone in the recent stage3.

And that`s what i`m trying to do, a new install following the handbook, but running the bootstrap.sh file twice and an emerge -e afterwards, just after the emerge kernel-package in the handbook section.

And i got it from here

Code:
https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/blob/master/scripts/bootstrap.sh

And then this line

Code:
[[ -z ${myLIBC}       ]] && myLIBC="$(portageq expand_virtual / virtual/libc)"

becomes

Code:
[[ -z ${myLIBC}       ]] ; myLIBC="$(portageq expand_virtual / virtual/libc)"

EDIT: just saw the updated FAQ it`s at /var/db/repos/gentoo/scripts now, but still it`s crashing with that message.

Last edited by numaflex on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
numaflex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m in the same chroot and i was able to pull a emerge on gcc so it`s not his fault, i know all the fault is mine, but in the troubleshooting...

Perhaps i could simulate what botostrap does in case it`s damned, just need to emerge the toolchain? (in that order? 1 gcc 2 binutils 3 glibc) just it? run this twice and then a emerge -e system and it will be the same???

Also openmp is set by the profile i just checked. I just said cause it`s what i read on the die output.
numaflex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Guys it's a "Dependency graph slot conflicts", i told you i'm not that savvy, i just tried to report everything i read thinking it would be easier to explain, i also told you english isn't my native language, neither i know how to speak it properly.

If i got it right, portage-utils and libb2 is both pulling gcc as a dependency, nothing has to do with the use flag it just jumped into my eyes, i just reported it. Trust me my gentoo experience was far from what to expect, it just worked for me that weird way i wanted. I was just trying again, and something must've changed.

But then turns out the bootstrap.sh script is kinda broken, cause the solution would be to emerge --oneshot the package (which is gcc8 and i kinda did it), but how to make the bootstrap behave like intended?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The handbook doesn't tell anyone to use bootstrap.sh, and hasn't for a decade IIRC - for good reason. Where are you finding this information?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's in the deprecated "generating a stage1 install with a stage3" instructions... I really don't think it's absolutely necessary to build from stage 1, but if anyone insists, may need to fix bootstrap.sh on their own.
numaflex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's everywhere

Code:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_install_Gentoo_using_a_stage1_or_stage2_tarball.3F

Code:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Building_the_Gentoo_Base_System_Minus_Kernel

AND in my own documentation, how i successfully did on my own BEFORE at least twice.

Note that it's in the Gentoo FAQ, it even says where it's located now (the bootstrap.sh file), and the fact it's not running as should...
i couldn't even get the answer about the emerge order right, is it first libtool, then gcc, then binutils, and finally glibc?

that will give me the same feeling as running the bootstrap, you all are big gentoo dogs, i'm just having fun with my computer.

I dont want to argue about how you think it should be done, perhaps you haven't done it from scratch in a while, but there's no myth or legend, as soon as you deploy the chroot while in the stage 3, just after kernel emerge,
you rebuild your toolchain twice (or run the bottstrap.sh twice), and run a emerge -e -with-bdeps=y @system twice afterwards,
this gives you room to get back to the Handbook and already have a solid well optimised system, nothing to be done after you reboot the installed system and all the packages will be updated *change my mind meme*
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: