Understanding iptables NAT rules in Gentoo Wiki Home Router
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harisund
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Understanding iptables NAT rules in Gentoo Wiki Home Router Reply with quote

I am referring to this page - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Home_router

Specifically in the NAT https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Home_router#NAT_.28a.k.a._IP-masquerading.29 section (Finally add the rules for NAT)

Code:
root #iptables -I FORWARD -i ${LAN} -d 192.168.0.0/16 -j DROP
root #iptables -A FORWARD -i ${LAN} -s 192.168.0.0/16 -j ACCEPT
root #iptables -A FORWARD -i ${WAN} -d 192.168.0.0/16 -j ACCEPT
root #iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ${WAN} -j MASQUERADE

For context ${LAN} is the internal network interface, which is on the 192.168.0.0/16 network anyway.

1. I don't understand the first rule. Why are we dropping something that's coming from the LAN and going back out the LAN anyway? When exactly will this kind of a forward happen and why would we want to drop it?

2. The third rule .. wouldn't we want to specify that only ESTABLISHED/RELATED packets should be accepted? Technically speaking anything that comes in from the external interface and getting forwarded into the internal interface can only happen if a machine on the internal side had initiated the connection first right?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harisund,

The order of rules in the final table matters. The Wiki shows how the rules are added. That need not be the same as evaluation order since rulles can be inserted between other existing rules.

What you say is correct but looking at a fragment of how it might be achieved is not useful.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Traffic coming from the LAN and going to it should, in most cases, have gone direct and not reached this system at all. Dropping it is a heavy-handed way of informing the offending system that its routing table is wrong.
  2. Yes, a ESTABLISHED/RELATED check would be good here. No, unsolicited traffic from WAN to LAN can arrive, but only if your upstream is behaving strangely and thinks that sending private-range traffic to you is appropriate. If their system is configured in the generally recommended way, you would be right, but there is no specific technical enforcement that they configure their system that way.
harisund
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
  1. Traffic coming from the LAN and going to it should, in most cases, have gone direct and not reached this system at all. Dropping it is a heavy-handed way of informing the offending system that its routing table is wrong.
  2. Yes, a ESTABLISHED/RELATED check would be good here. No, unsolicited traffic from WAN to LAN can arrive, but only if your upstream is behaving strangely and thinks that sending private-range traffic to you is appropriate. If their system is configured in the generally recommended way, you would be right, but there is no specific technical enforcement that they configure their system that way.

Quote:
Dropping it is a heavy-handed way of informing the offending system that its routing table is wrong

Understood, thank you for the clarification.

Quote:
No, unsolicited traffic from WAN to LAN can arrive

Interesting, good to know. I guess I was just thinking of an "in an ideal world ..." scenario.

Quote:
Yes, a ESTABLISHED/RELATED check would be good here

I mainly got the idea from this link - https://jamielinux.com/docs/libvirt-networking-handbook/appendix/example-of-iptables-nat.html

Code:

# Allow established traffic to the private subnet.
-A FORWARD -d 192.168.100.0/24 -o virbr10 -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
# Allow outbound traffic from the private subnet.
-A FORWARD -s 192.168.100.0/24 -i virbr10 -j ACCEPT

Thank you ![/code]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: