How to set shutdown as the hibernation mode for KDE Plasma
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YetAnotherGentooUser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: How to set shutdown as the hibernation mode for KDE Plasma Reply with quote

Hello:

I have installed Gentoo on a MacBook Air of late 2011 with KDE Plasma as the desktop environment. I am running kernel 4.19.67 for hot-plugging of Thunderbolt/ethernet adapter and generally speaking everything is working kernel-wise. I have the following user-space problem that likely involves sys-power/pm-utils or plasma PM that I could not fix. As for PM, suspension to RAM works flawlesly. But the hibernate icon in plasma leads to a reboot, indicating a platform firmware issue. Specifically, I can actually hibernate provided the hibernation mode is "shutdown"; i.e.,;

Code:
echo "shutdown" > /sys/power/disk; echo "disk" > /sys/power/state

works and resumes fine; but

Code:
echo "platform" > /sys/power/disk; echo "disk" > /sys/power/state

seems to freeze the system and save the image successfully; but the system cannot resume and reboots during wake up.

I frankly didn't care to waste my time to keep or reinstall OS/X just to attempt to update the firmware and see if the "platform"/ACPI hibernation would work. (Before I wiped out OS/X, it seems OS/X had the BIOS updated to a September 2018 version as I see via dmidecode on Linux. So, the former is unlikely to be successful.)

Instead, I just want plasma or pm-hibernate (is it invoking that?) to default to "shutdown" as the hibernation mode:

Code:
$ cat /etc/pm/config.d/gentoo
HOOK_BLACKLIST="01grub 90clock"
HIBERNATE_MODE="shutdown"

$ cat /etc/local.d/suspend_to_disk.start
#!/bin/sh
echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk

While the above indeed sets the mode properly for the kernel as I could verify from the command-line, I am afraid KDE plasma and/or pm-hibernate do not seem to honor either. I am not using systemd, which seems to have an explicit setting for this.

Would you be aware of any pm-utils or more directly KDE/plasma solution that would not require me to sudo to invoke a shell script to hibernate properly? If not, I may have to wrap such a solution as a new desktop item, which would be ugly compared to the rest of the plasma environment...

Thanks in advance!

PS.

Code:
$equery l acpid laptop-mode-tools pm-utils powerdevil consolekit
 * Searching for acpid ...
[IP-] [  ] sys-power/acpid-2.0.31:0

* Searching for laptop-mode-tools ...
[IP-] [  ] app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools-1.72.2-r1:0

* Searching for pm-utils ...
[IP-] [  ] sys-power/pm-utils-1.4.1-r7:0

* Searching for powerdevil ...
[IP-] [  ] kde-plasma/powerdevil-5.15.5:5

* Searching for consolekit ...
[IP-] [  ] sys-auth/consolekit-1.2.1:0

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: