Libreoffice Base - Create Report in Design view missing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlambrec
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Libreoffice Base - Create Report in Design view missing Reply with quote

I run gnome wayland (systemd) and emerged Libreoffice wiht USE=java. So, Base does work (6.2.5.2) fine.
However, when the Reports menu is selected, I see "Use Wizard to create Report"
but I do not see "Create Report in Design View". It is expected to be part of Base.
What is required to have "Create Report in Design View" submenu?
Is an additional USE flag required to emerge Libreoffice?
Would appreciate help.
jlambrec
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I submitted bug #692842 on 'bugs.gentoo.org' about this issue. I did some more research on this topic and posted the following comment today on that bug:
I found out that it appears the report-builder has been disabled in the gentoo ebuild although it is part of the libreoffice genuine built-in code. Here are the relevant lines in the libreoffice-6.2.8.2.ebuild:
Code:
391     # --disable-report-builder: too much java packages pulled in without pkgs
395     local myeconfargs=(
420         --disable-report-builder

There is currently another ebuild in the portage tree: libreoffice-6.3.4.2.ebuild but it has the report-builder disabled as well.
This is an issue as the other major linux distributions (Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE) have the report-builder available.
The reason invoked for disabling it looks peculiar: too many java packages pulled in...
I checked with the libreoffice web site about the needed packages and verified their availability in my 'systemd gnome' system. Most packages are available except:
1 - not found with "emerge -s"
beanshell, bluez-libs, libgl, plasma-framework
2 - available but masked
coinor-mp, serf
3 - available but not installed
ant, doxygen, gtk3, junit
The report-builder is an important feature of Base and is demonstrated, explained in detail in the Base5 latest manual.
So, is there any plan and timeframe to make the report-builder available in gentoo?

[Moderator edit: Added link to the bug report; added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
jlambrec
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the following response from the gentoo libreoffice maintainer on bug #692842:
bug 692842 wrote:
The required java packages in order to support report-builder are simply not available in gentoo.git and that is not going to change considering the sad state of Java in Gentoo but also for distro packaging in general.
Using bundled libs is against Gentoo policy and exceptions are made only in rare circumstances. We can however look into making it optional via some USE=base, if testing is positive.

I responded the following:
It is unfortunate that Gentoo policy leads to disabling a feature that most - if not all - other distros do implement. It would be great if you could make the report builder optional with USE=base flag.
However there is another way: running a libreoffice from a different distro with docker: I have been able to make alpine-libreoffice run fine with docker on gentoo and the report builder is available. So, my problem is solved.

[Moderator edit: used proper quote tags for the text imported from the bug tracker. Added links to the bug report. -Hu]
Goverp
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIUC Gentoo has a philosophical argument to compile Java from source, whereas Java has a philosophical argument to distribute software as binary jar files.

Perhaps there should be "eselect javajars" offering "source" and "binary", and have effectively -bin ebuilds that just check the jars against the manifest.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the jars have their dependency data documented properly, and don't have bizarre build requirements like build systems hardcoded to download supporting artifacts from the Internet, packaging doesn't need to be that bad. The comment quoted from the bug is particularly about Gentoo's objection to bundling libraries, which is different from insisting on building everything from source. If the required libraries were packaged in unbundled form (even if that package was just a jar-bin that downloaded a prebuilt jar), the maintainer would likely enable the report builder. The problem is that, by policy, the jars bundled into Libreoffice shall not be installed and, by lack of developer will/time/effort, there are no independently installable versions of those jars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: