Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]Login screen won't appear until entering characters?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Login screen won't appear until entering characters? Reply with quote

I have a strange issue with one laptop at the office. Since the update last night the system boots fine, but I only get the shell login when done. This stays on the screen forever if nothing is done. However, if you press enter six or eight times (the login prompt simply scrolls) then SDDM shows up. THe X log only has an error about "fbdev" not being available. The system uses the i965 driver. After SDDM starts there is no issue. The thing is, I can leave it sitting for two hours and SDDM never starts. As soon as you give it ANY input (login to the shell or just press enter and scroll the login) SDDM shows up. It is like there is some invisible prompt saying "Press any key continue..." somewhere.

I just now booted the system and logged into the shell as root. Still no SDDM. Pressed enter four times and now it shows up. After switching back to the shell the only error I see "Failed to open authorization file /var/run/sddm/{some-uuid}: No such file or directory". However, in sddm.log I do see "Running: /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/sddm/{that-uuid} -background none -noreset -displayfd 17 -seat seat0 vt7". SDDM ran this command at 10:12:54.399 and X said it could not locate it at 47.948, so I have no way to tell if X was looking for it prior to it being created. I do not know how to move forward in troubleshooting this issue. Help?

Last edited by The_Great_Sephiroth on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't same problem described here?
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not find that thread when searching. I will try installing haveged and see if it fixes this. The thing is, everything worked for two (three?) years, and then I updated and now it does not work. That user had the problem from the get-go. Either way, I will report back!
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerging haveged andadding it to the "boot" runlevel fixed it. SDDM appears instantly like it did before. Thank you very much for the fast response. Is this supposed to be in boot or default? I assumed boot since it dealt with random number init.
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
Is this supposed to be in boot or default? I assumed boot since it dealt with random number init.

I think boot is correct runlevel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: