Opinions on self-hosted bug tracking?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spork_kitty
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Opinions on self-hosted bug tracking? Reply with quote

I self-host a couple of things, and one of them is code via cgit. I plan to add gitolite to it later on, to be able to host others if they need repo hosting and make collaboration easier, while keeping it lightweight since it's not terribly good hardware. (so, no GitLab, gogs, etc)

A key problem here is my ISP doesn't allow e-mail server hosting, i.e. blocks it from beyond my LAN. That cuts me off from easy bug-tracking.

I can upgrade the line to Business for about $10-15 extra a month, and it comes with a static IP, but the speed is worse. Kind of a bum deal imo -- maybe it comes with guaranteed support or better latency or something -- so it got me wondering about a few other options:

• There might be bug-trackers that can send messages to people within the software instead (until I get the scratch for serving e-mail like I want to). Not sure here.
  • Are there any sites that would allow registering a bugtracker bot to relay e-mail? My guess is "no, hell no" due to spam concerns. Not sure what the search terms are for this, either.
  • I could issue local e-mail accounts that they have to remote in via SSH to check. Not sure I want to do this since then it'd come with more responsibility than I want.

What would you do in my situation?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at mantisBT
spork_kitty
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for recommending MantisBT to me. After a little finagling it more or less works, and I'm able to disable the e-mail settings until I can get a connection that'll let me have a mail server. (I'm not in my own place anymore so that'll be a while)

I look forward to being able to track my project issues in one place!

Are there any articles or anything you found helpful in managing your Mantis installation? I've been poking around the official docs and some web searching but even the docs are a little unclear on things like when config options are arrays versus strings.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only need to send a few email a day google for "SMTP Outbound Relay Service' there are several offers, some even have 100 mail/day free

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: