Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
asturm / Anon-E-moose
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: Anon-E-moose
Topic: What are these acct-group packages ?
Reason: baseless accusation
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
User: Anon-E-moose
Topic: What are these acct-group packages ?
Reason: baseless accusation
Really? "user friendliness" was worth reporting? Your post seems far more off-topic for that thread.

As an aside, I'm waiting to see if dmpogo respond's to Ant P. to determine if those posts are more appropriate to the Chat discussion. For now I'll wait on this reported "user friendliness" comment. It seems unlikely to be relevant in a technical topic.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he ninja-edited it away after getting second thoughts about his post. but yes, this thread seems to be heading for a Gentoo Chat ending.

pjp wrote:
Your post seems far more off-topic for that thread.

But is it really? I think that bit-perfect copy of his Gentoo Chat tantrum had no place in a support thread.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lets, see I was trying to be funny, with no harm to anyone, and asturm seems to be trying to get a reaction with what I assume is the result that happened to Tony, first by saying I'm trolling :roll: and now I throw "tantrums", seriously is he here to help gentoo, or get people he doesn't like to be banned by his harassment. I wasn't going to respond to this but I'm getting a little tired of this behavior of his. And no, I'm going further with this, asturm, so if you have a response just repeat it to yourself, I'm done with you.

Edit to add:
This isn't the first time, he's followed me around seemingly wanting to get a reaction from me. I've just blown it off before and not made or tried to make a big deal of it. And I'm not the only one he's had this behavior with.

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
he ninja-edited it away after getting second thoughts about his post.
I can only go by what is actually there. If I counted correctly, there were 19 minutes between his original post and your reply. So if he did edit something, that sounds like he recognized his mistake.

asturm wrote:
pjp wrote:
Your post seems far more off-topic for that thread.

But is it really? I think that bit-perfect copy of his Gentoo Chat tantrum had no place in a support thread.
Yes, it really is. Calling someone a troll, even if that is what they are doing, is not appropriate in a support thread. It escalates a situation that does not need to be escalated.

For now, split off two posts that don't belong in the thread.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
asturm wrote:
he ninja-edited it away after getting second thoughts about his post.
I can only go by what is actually there. If I counted correctly, there were 19 minutes between his original post and your reply. So if he did edit something, that sounds like he recognized his mistake.

And that's fine by me. But I don't go out of my way to check if one hour after my report it still remains valid. If you can't see the content it had before the edit, then this would seem like a serious forum software defect.

pjp wrote:
Yes, it really is. Calling someone a troll, even if that is what they are doing, is not appropriate in a support thread. It escalates a situation that does not need to be escalated.

Sometimes a troll is just a troll. "... like RH". :roll: Leaking the Gentoo Chat lament into support forums is utterly worthless, but certainly no Forums Feedback matter. But next time I'll try to tell the OP in said support thread in my nicest possible way that the person they may be influenced by in their thought process had decided to fight those packages before even trying to grasp what they did.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
So lets, see I was trying to be funny, with no harm to anyone

Let's call it really bad judgement on your side to come up with that as a 'joke' after all. pjp has the benefit of generously applying 'best intentions' to everyone, but since you have been injecting yourself into mostly every interaction between me and Tony, and certainly not for the better, I have no capacity like pjp in that context.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
This isn't the first time, he's followed me around seemingly wanting to get a reaction from me.

You're really not as important as you think you are.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
or get people he doesn't like to be banned by his harassment.

I don't want anyone banned who generously spends their time to help others in the forums, and that extends to Tony just as well. But sometimes you should give your words a second pass before hitting reply.

Last edited by asturm on Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
But I don't go out of my way to check if one hour after my report it still remains valid.
Understandable,. I ought to make a minor clarification, though it doesn't really matter. I thought the post you reported was
the one you responded to by making the troll reference. Now that I've split off the two posts, it is more apparent which post you reported. But as I mentioned, not really important other than clarifying the post remaining in the thread wasn't edited and seems less worthy of your response to it. Without your comment, the reported post wouuld likely not have been created. Which offers a timely demonstration of the negative effect escalating / instiguating can have.

asturm wrote:
But next time I'll try to tell the OP in said support thread in my nicest possible way that the person they may be influenced by in their thought process decided to fight those packages before even trying to grasp what they did. Leaking the Gentoo Chat lament into support forums is utterly worthless. "... like RH". :roll:
You could also report the post and not troll or editorialize about the other user. If there are details you believe to be incorrect, offer corrections. But please be sure to avoid personal attacks or other commnetary veild as such. It helps no one, as with the example above.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
You could also report the post and not troll or editorialize about the other user.

As said, I do not think reporting that first post would have been warranted at all - we've got to strike a balance there between reporting and correcting in-thread, after all we don't want to spend our time in here creating dossiers about micro failings. I can either work on my patience with certain behaviour or just care less about zero-value support forum posts in the future.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the first part of your post. Instead of making comments such as "And that's just your latest trolling attempt, right? :?" I was simply asking that you report the post and/or provide constructive comments to the thread. I don't think that seems unreasonable. But you do whatever you believe is appropriate.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: