[UPDATE] Very slow type rendering in Firefox/Thunderbird 67+
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fberger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: [UPDATE] Very slow type rendering in Firefox/Thunderbird 67+ Reply with quote

In all versions of the Firefox browser above 66.x I am experiencing extreme slowdowns handling the browser. Apparently this is related to type rendering in forms, text areas, and the URI bar.

After typing the string "1234567890" as fast as I can, it takes around 5 to 7 seconds for the typed numbers to appear. They appear one by one, often with a second or more delay. Again, pretty much in every web form and in the URI bar.

I have tried the usual recommendations, using a fresh profile, a private window, disabling addons. Same effect.

I have had similar problems with the Qt based text editor "TeXStudio". All other applications, including GUI and input heavy ones like Mozilla Thunderbird and LibreOffice, work and render just fine.

Using top, I see that Firefox ramps up to ~50 % CPU when typing, along with X which also goes to 50-60 %.

I use a rather minimal XFCE4 desktop environment.

Currently I am staying on FF 66, which does not exhibit this behaviour.

Apparently
  • Mozilla changed something in font / form rendering starting in FF 67
  • It's something other applications are not affected by
  • As it only happens in forms, it might also be related to spell checking (which I disabled) or some weird search in the background (which I tried to disable, too)
  • It's a rare bug / condition, as apparently no one is reporting this. Might be some weird outdated library on my part?

I am a fairly experienced Gentoo user, but have little experience in tracking such a thing down. Where should I start? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I have also tested in Safe Mode, and dis- / enabled Hardware Acceleration. No difference - rendering when typing into forms spikes up CPU and brings Firefox to an unusable crawl.

I'd also appreciate reports where FF 68 is running smoothly and fine. Maybe we can track down differences in setup.

Update: Alas, now it happens in Thunderbird 68.2.2 all the same. It takes several seconds in the compose email window for typed characters to appear; the more characters are typed blindly, the longer it takes, up to almost 10 seconds, while Thunderbird goes to 62+ % CPU.

This looks very much like a type rendering issue to me. Something between me typing and the glyph bitmaps being rendered to the screen takes ages to complete. Still, any hints where to start are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by fberger on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it is related or not, but firefox do have some very serious issues with slow rendering on linux, and that from several years ago. Look like mozilla doesn't care much about linux support at that time. I think that because it is a very long standing issue and it just goes worst with time.

I try the other mozillla browsers like seamonkey, but without success. The only cure was to use chrome or vivaldi, that on a dual-core amd asus laptop.

It seam to be related to the graphic driver, but not only because on a more powerful gentoo machine (4 cores amd tower), firefox was running fine. Maybe some kind of race occur between firefox and X when the machine is not powerful enough.
njsg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fberger and Dominique_71: which video cards and video card drivers do these systems have?

What are the USE flags for these Gecko browsers?
fberger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njsg wrote:
fberger and Dominique_71: which video cards and video card drivers do these systems have?

What are the USE flags for these Gecko browsers?

I am using an Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics chipset and the i915 driver.

I use the firefox-bin package with USE ffmpeg, l10n_de, and pulseaudio enabled.

For Thunderbird, which now exhibits the very same behaviour, I have installed mail-client/thunderbird-68.2.2, using dbus, jack, l10n_de, pulseaudio .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: