/run/opendkim owned by opendkim, milter can't create socket
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: /run/opendkim owned by opendkim, milter can't create socket Reply with quote

Hi,

Whenever I restart my VPS, /run/opnedkim directory is automatically owned by opendkim user and the result is:
OpenDKIM Filter: Unable to bind to port local:/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.sock: Permission denied

the socket simply cannot be created as the UserID in opendkim.conf = milter.

Only when I
Code:
chown milter:milter /run/opnedkim
only then can the socket be created and opendkim does not crash.

I have followed this guide: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenDKIM
and have tried adding milter to opendkim as well as dkimsocket groups but that doesn't change anything:
Code:
 # groups milter
opendkim dkimsocket milter

# rc-service opendkim restart
opendkim          | * Stopping opendkim ...
opendkim          | * start-stop-daemon: no matching processes found                [ ok ]
opendkim          | * Starting opendkim ...

rc-service opendkim status

Only when I manually chown /run/opendkim folder to milter, only then opendkim doesn't crash.

I'm looking for a solution that will work throughout reboots, without having to chown manually (nor through crontab)...?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create an override for /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/opendkim.conf in /etc/tmpfiles.d
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Create an override for /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/opendkim.conf in /etc/tmpfiles.d

thanks!
I should note it's not the safest thing as according to the guide I referenced before both milter and opendkim should access the socket through a 3rd group (dkimsocket for instance) - but that doesn't work unfortunately...
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem on my mail relay after I stupidly upgraded it to a Debian version with systemd opendkim/dmarc, etc.

I gave up, and replaced my email filtering stack with rspamd which does it all and without the overhead of perl or seperate milters.
Not looked back since, highly recommend it.
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
I had this problem on my mail relay after I stupidly upgraded it to a Debian version with systemd opendkim/dmarc, etc.

I gave up, and replaced my email filtering stack with rspamd which does it all and without the overhead of perl or seperate milters.

thanks for the experienced advice, I'll consider it
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
I had this problem ...

Hey @UberLord, do you mind if I'll ask you a few questions?

When you say you replaced your email filtering stack:
first, are you using postfix?
if so, do you mean rspam replaces also amavis and clam? (because i haven't managed to detach postfix from both of these services - whenever i re/start postfix it automatically launches both)
lastly, i followed the rspamd quickstart guide, setting it up with dovecot and redis, i use unix sockets wherever possible but i still haven't managed to set it up correctly I guess, because I still have a few issues:
when i send / receive mails these what i see in rspamd log:
Code:
(normal) <766bd7>; task; rspamd_worker_body_handler: cannot handle request: invalid command
(rspamd_proxy) rspamd_http_decrypt_message: cannot verify encrypted message, first bytes of the input: 7b226572726f72223a22696e76616c696420636f6d6d616e64222c226572726f725f646f6d61696e223a2270726f746f636f6c2d6572726f72227d
(rspamd_proxy) <3ee727>; proxy; proxy_backend_master_error_handler: abnormally closing connection from backend: /var/run/rspamd/rspamd-normal.sock, error: HTTP parser error: the on_message_complete callback failed, retries left: 5
(rspamd_proxy) <3ee727>; proxy; proxy_backend_master_error_handler: retry connection to: /var/run/rspamd/rspamd-normal.sock retries left: 4

have no idea what invalid command does it refers to...

and another issue, if you happen to know, rspamd webUI is referring to the same address:port as the worker-controller, it seems i can only access it if the worker-controller is binded to a TCP socket (as unix sockets are only possible to access locally), is there a way make worker-controller still bind to to unix socket (which performs faster than TCP, AFAIK) and still use webUI?
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhon987 wrote:
UberLord wrote:
I had this problem ...

Sure and yes

Quote:
if so, do you mean rspam replaces also amavis and clam? (because i haven't managed to detach postfix from both of these services - whenever i re/start postfix it automatically launches both)

amavis is just a middle man between postfix and a filter (like clam).
rspamd does NOT replace clam - it's not a virus checker.
That being said, I don't run a virus checker on my mail server as virus checkers run on the machines I generally use and viruses would target - ie windows.

Postfix doesn't actually start anything external (amavis, clam) itself - but the init.d/postfix service might! Check there.
I don't use Gentoo these days so can't help much there really.

Quote:

lastly, i followed the rspamd quickstart guide, setting it up with dovecot and redis, i use unix sockets wherever possible but i still haven't managed to set it up correctly I guess, because I still have a few issues:
Code:
(normal) <766bd7>; task; rspamd_worker_body_handler: cannot handle request: invalid command
(rspamd_proxy) rspamd_http_decrypt_message: cannot verify encrypted message, first bytes of the input: 7b226572726f72223a22696e76616c696420636f6d6d616e64222c226572726f725f646f6d61696e223a2270726f746f636f6c2d6572726f72227d
(rspamd_proxy) <3ee727>; proxy; proxy_backend_master_error_handler: abnormally closing connection from backend: /var/run/rspamd/rspamd-normal.sock, error: HTTP parser error: the on_message_complete callback failed, retries left: 5
(rspamd_proxy) <3ee727>; proxy; proxy_backend_master_error_handler: retry connection to: /var/run/rspamd/rspamd-normal.sock retries left: 4

and another issue, if you happen to know, rspamd webUI is referring to the same address:port as the worker-controller, it seems i can only access it if the worker-controller is binded to a TCP socket (as unix sockets are only possible to access locally), is there a way make worker-controller still bind to to unix socket (which performs faster than TCP, AFAIK) and still use webUI?

I setup rspamd without setting the controller password - the WebUI is locked down to my local IP range AND is http password protected.
Also using sockets, so not exposed on the wire either (other than the WebUI) so again, no need to setup a password in rspamd.
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
jhon987 wrote:
UberLord wrote:
I had this problem ...

Sure and yes

Quote:

amavis is just a middle man between postfix and a filter (like clam).
rspamd does NOT replace clam - it's not a virus checker.
That being said, I don't run a virus checker on my mail server as virus checkers run on the machines I generally use and viruses would target - ie windows.

Postfix doesn't actually start anything external (amavis, clam) itself - but the init.d/postfix service might! Check there.
I don't use Gentoo these days so can't help much there really.

Quote:

Code:

I setup rspamd without setting the controller password - the WebUI is locked down to my local IP range AND is http password protected.
Also using sockets, so not exposed on the wire either (other than the WebUI) so again, no need to setup a password in rspamd.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: