Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
openbox -- how save application window size?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagdpanther
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: openbox -- how save application window size? Reply with quote

I'm using the OpenBox windows manager. For a given application, say Firefox, how do I get OpenBox to remember the application's window size? This way the next time I launch the application it has the same window size. Note: I almost always launch applications from a terminal window. (ex: $ firefox & )

(On some other windows managers I have seen the option when you right-click on the application's window title bar, to save the geometry.)
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, when I restart it it's the size it was when I last closed it, at least firefox is that way, I think FF saves it's own geometry.
Other apps, some start with the size preset, nothing can be done about that.

For terminals, I set it to col/row size either in menu settings, or keyboard shortcut.

Edit to add: I don't think there's a way to save it from openbox itself, most apps will let you set geometry size when it gets started though, but that means editing either menu.xml or rc.xml. (Yeah, I know not the best)
jagdpanther
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The interesting item is that for many months, firefox always opened in OpenBox as the same size, that I set. (probably just by dragging a resize corner of the Firefox window.) Now firefox always opens smaller than I ever use it and I always resize the window. I also tried to set the original size on the command line like this:

Code:
firefox --window-size 1100,1060

Which according to "firefox --help" should work, but it doesn't. This isn't that big a deal, I'll try to track down the issue one of these days.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look at the commands (menu.xml, rc.xml) to see if they've somehow got a size attached to them.

Or if this is a newer firefox they may have changed something, I run a very old version as I haven't kept up with anything past 5.2 :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: