Unprivileged LXC container
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAH69K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Unprivileged LXC container Reply with quote

Hi! I have question about unprivileged containers on the host with OpenRC.
1. Why wiki describes creating dedicated user? It's possible to avoid creating new user?
2. Section Create user namespace manually with no systemd looks... strange. It's really need use this script with .bashrc? Maybe now exists more correct and good method?

Also I want to know - it's possible to share /usr/portage between multiple containers? In ideal - also between host. In template from lxc-templates package I found this lines:
Code:
#If you use eix, you should uncomment this
#lxc.mount.entry=/var/cache/eix var/cache/eix none ro,bind 0 0"

As I understood - this is make shared /var/cache/eix between host and container, as I want? Is this work with unprivileged containers? Because template works only with priveleged.
skunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Unprivileged LXC container Reply with quote

MAH69K wrote:
Hi! I have question about unprivileged containers on the host with OpenRC.
1. Why wiki describes creating dedicated user? It's possible to avoid creating new user?

If you are the only one administering the host, yes, you may avoid creating a new user and use root instead to start the container.
The new user is required only if you want an unprivileged user to be allowed to run lxc-start...

MAH69K wrote:
2. Section Create user namespace manually with no systemd looks... strange. It's really need use this script with .bashrc? Maybe now exists more correct and good method?

Again, not required if you run lxc-start as root (eg. if you start the container from the init script)

MAH69K wrote:
Also I want to know - it's possible to share /usr/portage between multiple containers?

yes, just add:
Code:
lxc.mount.entry=/usr/portage usr/portage none ro,bind 0 0"

to the container's configuration file and redefine DISTDIR/PKGDIR to some r/w directories...

MAH69K wrote:
In ideal - also between host. In template from lxc-templates package I found this lines:
Code:
#If you use eix, you should uncomment this
#lxc.mount.entry=/var/cache/eix var/cache/eix none ro,bind 0 0"

As I understood - this is make shared /var/cache/eix between host and container, as I want? Is this work with unprivileged containers? Because template works only with priveleged.

this is for sharing the eix cache with the host, it should work fine...
MAH69K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. So I need create and start container as root (not as normal user) even this is unprivileged container?
And my /etc/subuid must be like this:
Code:
root:100000:65536

?
skunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes... and don't forget /etc/subgid...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: