Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Spreading FUD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: asturm
Topic: [Solved] eudev migration
Reason: spreading FUD

So they speak of their experience of having seen more issues with regards to 'eudev' than 'others'. It's highly likely to be true, and I don't think we should go around banning such statements. They also mention that there is no real need to switch away from it, unless the user is indeed facing an 'eudev' specific issue. I might not quite see what you see, nor can I see what you would like us to do about it. Let us know! :]Chiitoo
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split this report here so that it will be easier to follow and act on.

I'll repeat my question(s) here for clarity.

So they speak of their experience of having seen more issues with regards to 'eudev' than 'others'. It's highly likely to be true, and I don't think we should go around banning such statements. They also mention that there is no real need to switch away from it, unless the user is indeed facing an 'eudev' specific issue. I might not quite see what you see, nor can I see what you would like us to do about it. Let us know! :]
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets deal with facts...
https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?f1=assigned_to&o1=equals&order=changeddate%20DESC%2Cpriority%2Cbug_severity&query_format=advanced&resolution=---&v1=udev-bugs%40gentoo.org

10 bugs open for udev ONLY udev, updated in 2019

https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?f1=assigned_to&o1=substring&query_format=advanced&resolution=---&v1=eudev
4 bugs open for eudev, ONLY eudev, updated in 2019

"issues" with eudev... it shadows systemd-udev.
Essentially it is an OPINION. We have a gentoo developer pushing their opinion on users who are after information as to how to switch. The fact the user was already using eudev WITHOUT any issue is testament to this.
I expect more and I would hope Gentoo has a whole would expect more from developers pushing their opinion onto the forums. Its bad enough when there are developers throwing around accusations that the forums push bad advice WHEN one of their own is clearly guilty of this

And what do I expect to occur in this instance? that up to you and the moderators... do you really want to have developers pushing their opinions like this, spreading uncertainty as to what the end user should be using.

To say I am disappointed with the developers AND the moderation team for facilitating this is an understatement
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the expansion!

Perhaps the experience is more about the nature of bugs, or something else other than the raw number of them. I'm just guessing.

I tend to not really differentiate between users, be they developers or not, so indeed, I just see opinions most of them. Of course I do expect a developer to know quite a bit about a package they deal with quite a lot, but that doesn't necessarily affect my package choices.

Maybe I'm partial, as I do quite a bit of ebuilding with asturm in particular, and I have never seen them push their opinions on others (or have not felt like it). Even in the post referred to here, they include that there is "no reason to switch away from eudev" (unless there be problems with it). If they were pushing for non-eudev set-ups, I'd probably expect them to suggest the opposite, or at least something towards it.

So I, for one, certainly don't feel the need to restrict their ability to express their opinion, even if they are a developer (and indeed, that is at this time my opinion, not that of the whole team).

I do believe I understand the concern, and at least to some extent share it, but I don't see it being a problem in this particular case.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have such Contempt for users providing help on the forums I EXPECT Every single post from a developer to be technically accurate.
The simple FACT is, the OP in the thread in question was using eudev FLAWLESSLY, even if they didn't realise it. To push an opinion that it is flawed is dangerous. This is a developer of Gentoo and is a position us users are expected to rely on as sound judgement

The mess that the developers left with profile 17.0 -> 17.1 AND it was forum users who provided the support, I EXPECT higher quality from the developers.

You may think this is all ok, but basically this ivory tower mentality pushed by the developers is an embarrassment to this distribution and I for one expect more from those in position of influence
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are letting this go way overboard. Capitals! Bold letters! Underline! You've ticked all the boxes there, I wonder why do you need these prosthetic aids? Perhaps because there is not enough substance otherwise. Are brexit tabloids to blame? Is it the ghost of steveL?

Naib wrote:
The simple FACT is, the OP in the thread in question was using eudev FLAWLESSLY

The simple fact about the OP is that you know nothing about them after their first post. For some reason they think they need to change something, and we have no idea of their motivation after their first post. Change, however, often is caused by something being amiss. Even if the cause is wrongly identified, something you may be familiar with. The first question then will be about identifying that. Now, the difference of support for openrc between udev and eudev is exactly zero, it would be wrong for anyone to make an unnecessary change just for that, and I think on that point I have made myself clear. Your ideological bias should take no part in any answer to a user. Next comes my opinion, which certainly is based on experience having been a user of all our udev implementations, but also being part of discussions taking place in our usual channels. Then, the total number of bugs gives you a number - but it is meaningless without context, and it becomes especially meaningless when one data point is dependent on the other. Install base? We don't have any telemetry, but we do know that Gentoo systems tend to last very long, are carried over to new hardware instead of being re-installed, and the default change did nothing at all for systems set up pre-2016-03-01 without manual intervention. Quality or relevance? Not every bug assigned to udev-bugs is caused by udev, many are equally relevant to eudev. But most important, it does not tell you about runtime bugs in reverse dependencies caused by one being fixed way after the other, or simply because it was slow to release and being stabilised, which has led to some regret about the switch to eudev default in the virtual having been made prematurely. Rest assured I don't have any horse in that race. I'm as much a user when it comes to (e)udev as you are.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the report and referenced post prior to Chitoo's response, but I wasn't sure what to make of the report and the post it referenced. So I waited to see if it would come across differently at a later time, or if someone else would comment.

I try to presume the most favorable interpretation. However, even If I try to presume otherwise, "in my experience" isn't suggestive of intentionally "spreading uncertainty."

But maybe that's on me. So I'll try to keep reading as if the intent were to "spread uncertainty."

OK, so next up is "No reason to switch though, unless you encounter an eudev related issue" and "what should I do? / Nothing? Do you have any particular issue that would make you want to do *something*?"

I'm not able to reasonably interpret "don't switch without cause" (my words) as some subtle means of converting people to systemd or away from something else.

Regarding opinions, unless otherwise quantified, every statement made by everyone is an opinion. Yes, I'm aware that people may place a higher value on an opinion coming from a "developer" simply because of that title. If I consider that influence with a very simple scenario in which a "developer" recommended x over y because x had 4 bugs and y had 10 bugs, I'd immediately dismiss that opinion. If I look at how such a statement might influence the most inexperienced person seeking information, I'd then look for other supporting information. Are there other users making better arguments?

Bringing this back to the reported comments, I'm unable to interpret astrum's comments in a way that would be detrimental to the user. Lacking that, I don't see what type of moderator action could be taken.
Morality124
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Rest assured I don't have any horse in that race. I'm as much a user when it comes to (e)udev as you are.

Quote:
Services
Default choices of these services will be pulled in automatically - by the installation steps in the following chapters - depending on the profile selection made earlier, but still need to be set up properly before starting KDE Plasma for the first time. For deviating from the defaults, it is recommended to install them in advance of KDE Plasma or KDE Applications via emerge ‑‑oneshot so that Portage will take them into account. Follow the links for information how to set up these services.

[...]

Device manager
Choose exactly one of:

eudev: Gentoo's fork of udev with the goal of obtaining better compatibility. It is the default for the desktop/plasma profile.
udev: Enables support for udev Linux dynamic and persistent device naming.
systemd: Uses the device manager part of systemd. Users of systemd do not need to take any other initiative here.

Quote:
Changelog
kde-plasma: Drop KDE Plasma 5.16.1
Andreas Sturmlechner, Tue, 25 Jun 2019 10:51, commit 7771149d
plasma-meta-5.16.1.ebuild
kde-plasma: Add KDE Plasma 5.16.2
Andreas Sturmlechner, Tue, 25 Jun 2019 09:52, commit 8d1d62c6
plasma-meta-5.16.2.ebuild
kde-plasma: Drop KDE Plasma 5.16.0
Andreas Sturmlechner, Tue, 18 Jun 2019 12:49, commit ef33b2d1
plasma-meta-5.16.0.ebuild
kde-plasma: Add KDE Plasma 5.16.1
Andreas Sturmlechner, Tue, 18 Jun 2019 10:25, commit dd8e6c84
plasma-meta-5.16.1.ebuild
kde-plasma: Add KDE Plasma 5.16.0
Andreas Sturmlechner, Wed, 12 Jun 2019 04:58, commit 03b5070f
plasma-meta-5.16.0.ebuild

So let me get this straight, you have NO "horse in that race" in regards to a major dependency of a sub-project you are assigned (and well-known) to maintain. Because that makes sense.

First of all, even if you weren't maintaining the KDE ports for Gentoo, eudev is a Gentoo project, and you are a Gentoo developer, which in itself means you are an official, highly-visible, and notable representative of the Gentoo project. Casually disparaging the project in a way that is factually dubious and full of opinion is really irresponsible, especially given that many downstreams depend on eudev as a key component, and eudev is one of the main projects that Gentoo is well known for in the open source world, right up there next to Portage. Imagine if Theo De Raadt just casually decided to make a comment like you did in some informal OpenBSD mailing list disparaging LibreSSL - people would be rightfully pissed and concerned because it lowers faith and trust in the project. It's would be seen as very unprofessional in the very least.

The fact that you try to underplay this while being "the KDE guy" for Gentoo is even more concerning. You have no trouble recommending elogind over people who try to workaround ConsoleKit, and elogind another Gentoo project and just as an important dependency as eudev. Imagine if you said the same thing about elogind that you did about eudev, especially given the press and attention around the fact that elogind was enabling Gnome installs for many other distros and operating systems. Again, it's irresponsible and potentially damaging to Gentoo's image and reputation to sow what Naib described as FUD.

asturm wrote:
I think you are letting this go way overboard. Capitals! Bold letters! Underline! You've ticked all the boxes there, I wonder why do you need these prosthetic aids? Perhaps because there is not enough substance otherwise. Are brexit tabloids to blame? Is it the ghost of steveL?

@pjp, I would think this sort of non-productive, venomous invective (that is completely irrelevant to the issue at hand and serves no purpose other than to disparage Naib with insults against his character) would be on the edge of violating the CoC; I would think this sort of thing would be quickly addressed on the Developer mailing list as being such had it occurred there. Furthermore, I find it ironic that asturm would accuse Naib of "ideological bias" when the subjects brought up in this invective would seem to present ideological biases on asturm's part (since he is presenting said subjects in the negative).
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They who make ridiculous statements shall be met with ridicule. After Naib constructed general 'contempt for users providing help on the forums' out of a single opinion I felt free to go really wide and juxtapose his posting style with brexit tabloids.

Morality124 wrote:
asturm wrote:
Rest assured I don't have any horse in that race. I'm as much a user when it comes to (e)udev as you are.

eudev: Gentoo's fork of udev with the goal of obtaining better compatibility. It is the default for the desktop/plasma profile.
udev: Enables support for udev Linux dynamic and persistent device naming.
systemd: Uses the device manager part of systemd. Users of systemd do not need to take any other initiative here.

Thanks for quoting this section; do you want to guess who added it to the wiki in the first place? Since KDE Plasma does not care at all which is installed, the ordering exactly reflects virtual/udev - one of many dependencies, and one I am not especially interested in as long as they are properly maintained upstream and downstream. If KDE Plasma had defects/bugs with one of them, it would be a different order. That wouldn't be a horse in the race, but a fact-based switch. That is what we see wrt consolekit vs. elogind (which btw is not a Gentoo project, but maintained by a Gentoo user). You're trying very hard, but the whole thing looks like artificial uproar very much.

Morality124 wrote:
especially given that many downstreams depend on eudev as a key component

Nothing depends on eudev as a key component; by definition (and the dependency implication in virtual/udev) anything that uses eudev can switch over to udev and vice versa.
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morality124 wrote:
... and elogind another Gentoo project ...

elogind has never been a Gentoo project.
Let's quote the README.md file from upstream's GitHub repo:
Quote:
Elogind has been developed for use in GuixSD, the OS distribution of GNU Guix. See http://gnu.org/s/guix for more on Guix. GuixSD uses a specific init manager (GNU Shepherd), for reasons that are not relevant here, but still aims to eventually be a full-featured distribution that can run GNOME and other desktop environments. However, to run GNOME these days means that you need to have support for the login1 D-Bus interface, which is currently only provided by systemd. That is the origin of this project: to take the excellent logind functionality from systemd and provide it as a standalone package.

It is currently being maintained by a Gentoo user though:
Quote:
All complaints should go to Sven Eden, who is maintaining elogind.

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: