[SOLVED] Mate without udisks
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Mate without udisks Reply with quote

I've been running Mate-1.12 mostly out of local overlay. I missed the latest drops and there is only 1.22 left in the tree. I tried to construct overlay ebuilds for the missing parts, but although creating ebuilds from the copies installed in /var is easy. I can't find the neeeded patches.

Okay, you say, why not update to 1,22
?
Well because it requires gvfs to be byuilt with gvfs[udisks]. I don't really want udisks. I don't want an automounter at all. This is Linux not Windows. But I would reluctantly accept it, but udisks requires policykit and that I will not tolerate.

So I have two options:

1. Construct a binary package for 1.12 using the components installed on my as yet un-updated Phenom II workstation. This has already been built with march=native which is K10
My other machines are Bulldozer, and Kaveri and I was just about to update the Bulldozer to Ryzen 2700X. I think they all have supersets of the K10 so they should work.

2.(Preferable) If someone has a patch for 1.22 or an overlay build that does not require udisks, I could use that.

Can someone help me keep Mate without udisks?

Last edited by Tony0945 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about Mate, but my wife's Xfce4 had same issue, I removed the xfce4-meta and that was enough to get rid of this dependency. My 2¢.
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a quick look and caja (file manager) is the only thing pulling in gvfs[udisks]

You could do what jaglover suggested, put the pieces, ignore meta OR copy meta ebuild to your local directory and modify it.

Edit to add: as for whether caja could be built without gvfs, you'd have to look at the source tarball and see it's requirements.

ETA2: quick glance at source, you will need gvfs, but no requirement for udisk (probably a gentoo dev added requirement)
copy the ebuild to remove the udisks part and see if it won't work (yes you won't have auto mount this way)
5.0.13 zen kernel, profile 17.1 (no-pie & modified) amd64-no-multilib
gcc 8.2.0, eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

You have to lightly toast the gvfs ebuild.

I have mate-1.22.1 on my static /dev system, so udev, udisks ... is out of the question.

I presently have gnome-base/gvfs-1.38.1 installed. The gnome-base/gvfs-1.38.1.ebuild is there.
I have added the USE=olde-gentoo use flag to preserve normal behaviour for those that want that sort of thing.

As I can't have udev, I throw away more than you might.

I need to get my static-dev overlay on github but first I need to learn git.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Neddy but
Code:
REQUIRED_USE="
   ?? ( elogind systemd )
is a show stopper too.

Jaglover, Anon-A-moose, thanks for the input. I may go those ways.

While sitting in my wife's doctor's waiting room, it occurred to me that when I converted from 10,000 RPM hard drive to SSD last year, I put the old drive on a shelf in the basement. That drive has the old working Mate. All I have to do is put it in the basement Win 7 computer, unplugging the current drive, boot with the last sysrescuecd or the new rescuecd from CD/DVD, mount the hard drive as /mnt/gentoo, then go to my server that has ,y local overlay and copy the approprite ebuild directories including the files directory containing the patches by scp.

I think I should rename all mate-XXX ebuilds to old-mate-xxxx and just mask mate-xxxx::gentoo entirely. The rename would prevent portage from trying to update mate. The mask is just suspenders and belt to prevent file collisions.
The server runs openbox, not mate so I can test install there and remove it when it's working.

The binary was an interesting project but this should be faster and I prefer a source package.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

I'll have to crack that next update :)

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounted the old velociraptor using sysrescuecd and copied the old ebuilds to overlay. another eix-sync and the broken system downgraded a few components and the sensors-applet is working again and the system is stable.

I was unable to boot the old drive directly because it is mounted in an old Athlon64 Windows box and, sure enough, it had been rebuilt for march bulldozer.
I'll just keep it, well because I'm a packrat. I had thought of of using my Athlon II board as a TV server (which the Win 7 box is) and I now have a binary port of sageTV running on several gentoo computers. Perhaps I'll venture to do another bare install on a $25 Team Elite SSD that I bought, keeping it small, just openbox and SageTV and a custom kernel. IIRC, the board has board built-in ethernet and radeon or nouveau.

For interest: The Gentoo velociraptor is /dev/sda and the windows WD Caviar is /dev/sdb but when I switched back to booting hard disk (BIOS does not allow choosing) Windows booted instead of grub legacy on /dev/sdb. I would have thought it would be the other way around.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

Using old software is not really solved.

The current ebuilds need to be fixed so you can enjoy the packages you want, the way you want.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Thanks, Neddy but
Code:
REQUIRED_USE="
   ?? ( elogind systemd )
is a show stopper too.

if you use the meta package it pulls in mate-session-manager but if you just put the pieces that meta calls minus the session manager, it shouldn't require elogin/systemd.

Some individual package(s) may want it, or the services it offers but that's a different matter.
5.0.13 zen kernel, profile 17.1 (no-pie & modified) amd64-no-multilib
gcc 8.2.0, eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: