Bootable 64-bit RPi3 Gentoo image (OpenRC/Xfce/VC4) Part 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakaki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Bootable 64-bit RPi3 Gentoo image (OpenRC/Xfce/VC4) Part 2 Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just posted a v1.4.2 update release of my bootable 64-bit Gentoo image for the RPi3 (model B and B+) on GitHub (here, includes full download instructions).

This release sees a number of significant version bumps to the bundled packages (wrt v1.4.1): for example, GCC from v8 to v9, Clang from v7 to v8, Chromium from v72 to v74, Firefox Quantum from v65 to v67 etc.

A screenshot of the image running on an RPi3B+ may be viewed here.

As always, you can burn the image (~1,511MiB compressed) to a microSD card (>=16GB), then boot your RPi3 from it directly (the root partition will be automatically resized to fill the card on first boot). Full instructions for download and use are provided on the project's GitHub page.

The image contains a complete (OpenRC-based) Gentoo system (including a full Portage tree, up-to-date as of 12 June 2019) - so you can run emerge operations immediately - and has a reasonably populated userland (see the screenshot referred to above; all the apps shown, and many others, are bundled), so that you can get productive without having to compile or configure anything first (unless you want to, of course ^-^). Just download, xzcat to a microSD card (or use Etcher), and boot!

A changelog from the prior release image (with upgrade instructions) may be viewed here, but in summary:
  • Kernel updated, to sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin-4.19.49.20190611. Fixes some Bluetooth issues experienced with the prior 4.19 kernel, and adds POE fan and (built-in) btrfs support. Support for the RPi camera module (and leverage of the hw video codecs via v4l2) is retained.
  • Per email request from @iugamarian, added the following applications to the image:
    • media-video/mpv;
    • net-p2p/transmission;
    • sys-fs/ncdu; and
    • app-misc/mc.
  • Various minor ebuild tidy-ups.
  • All packages brought up-to-date against the Gentoo tree, as of UTC EOD 12 June 2019 (which means e.g., www-client/firefox-67.0, www-client/chromium-74.0.3729.169-r1, app-office/libreoffice-6.2.4.2 etc. are bundled; a full list of installed packages may be found here).
As before, a variant image for the Pi-Top v1 (an RPi3-based DIY laptop) is also included. Manual upgrade instructions for users on older versions of the image are also provided, here.

Have fun ^-^

And, as always, any problems or comments, please post either in this thread, or in the project's thread on the Raspberry Pi forums (here).

PS: I aim to release the PINN variant of this v1.4.2 image in a week or so, real-world commitments permitting ^-^

Split from Bootable 64-bit RPi3 Gentoo image (OpenRC/Xfce/VC4) UPDATED and stuck in its place.
--NeddySeagoon

sakaki
Sakaki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who prefer that install route, the v1.4.2 gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit image is now also available for install through PINN (called gentoo64 - and, for the PiTop v1 variant, gentoo64pt - there).

PS the new Pi4 has been officially announced today, so I guess we have another porting target for Gentoo now ^-^

sakaki
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki,

I've just ordered the 4G version. :)
Thank you for the tip off. It won't ship until July 5 though.

-- edit 25 June --

My supplier set low expectations then exceeded them. Its in the post already :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Last edited by NeddySeagoon on Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
paluszak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Raspberry Pi 4 is on the way, so I hope we'll get an image as well. With USB3, 4G RAM and a faster Ethernet it could have a zillion new uses, like NAS or ceph node.
Sakaki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paluszak wrote:
My Raspberry Pi 4 is on the way, so I hope we'll get an image as well. With USB3, 4G RAM and a faster Ethernet it could have a zillion new uses, like NAS or ceph node.
Getting a sensible 64-bit defconfig-ish kernel build up is really the gating step here. Once that's done, I will probably look to spin a gentoo-on-rpi4-64bit image, real-world commitments permitting ^-^

sakaki
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day, Sakaki et.all!
Starting from some releases, the WiFi module remains continuously enabled. The command ifconfig wlan0 down can remove it from the list of active connections (till reboot), but the indicator still is blinking; as well as after the reboot it again appears in the list of interfaces.

Since I would like to reduce the interference in 2.4GHz band, as well to reduce the power consumption too, does there any ways how to disable this interface and prevent it to bring up automatically after reboot?
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777 wrote:
... does there any ways how to disable this interface and prevent it to bring up automatically after reboot?

Add (or adjust existing)
Code:
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi

to /boot/config.txt. pi3-disable-bt will disable bluetooth, if desired.
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonlacon wrote:

Add (or adjust existing)
Code:
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi

to /boot/config.txt. pi3-disable-bt will disable bluetooth, if desired.

Okay, now wlan0 is not listed in the ifconfig list; but the green indicator is still blinking. Does it should to be like this?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777,

Try the rfkill command. That should turn off the WiFi transmitter.
It can control WiFi and Bluetooth separately.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777 wrote:
... the green indicator is still blinking. ...

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/blob/master/boot/overlays/README#L112

Code:
dtparam=eth_led0=14
dtparam=eth_led1=14

in config.txt (probably before naming dtoverlays)
janbielanski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I am using your RPI3 ARM64 image and I wanted to configure hostapd but I got failed. I don't know what I did wrong (on Raspbian I don't have any problems but I don' t want Raspbian because I want to learn ARM64 bit architecture and AArch64 assembler). I posted my problem here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1099624-highlight-.html
Sakaki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi janbielanski,

please see my reply in your thread quoted above.

sakaki
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening!
NeddySeagoon wrote:
orion777,
Try the rfkill command. That should turn off the WiFi transmitter. It can control WiFi and Bluetooth separately.

Yes, rfkill, as well as dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi in the /boot/config.txt removes wlan0 from the list. However, green indicator on rpi3 still is periodically blinking, that allows me to think that the Wi-Fi device is still enabled.

antonlacon wrote:
dtparam=eth_led0=14
dtparam=eth_led1=14
in config.txt (probably before naming dtoverlays)

These parameters, probably, are related to only green and yellow indicators of the ethernet interface.

In my case I would like to disable unnecessary equipment like wlan and bt (not their indication) to reduce interference and power consumption.
Maybe I'm wrong and I do not have to do this?
janbielanski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki wrote:
Hi janbielanski,

please see my reply in your thread quoted above.

janbielanski wrote:
Problem has been solved. The source of problem was configuration file:
Code:

# DNS Domain
dns_domain_lo="astro-pi64.org"

# CONFIG eth0 [network access]
config_eth0="dhcp"

# WIFI ACCESS POINT
# ** network connection
#modules_wlan0="wpa_supplicant"
#config_wlan0="dhcp"
# ** access point
modules_wlan0="[b]!iw[/b] !iwconfig !wpa_supplicant"
config_wlan0="192.168.66.3/24 brd 192.168.66.0"
routes_wlan0="default via 192.168.66.1"
rc_net_wlan0_provide="!net"

I missed to exclude completely iw interface (!iwconfig is not enough, I have to exclude also !iw).
I had seen this mistake when I tried to setup AP on on computer for testing.
janbielanski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: New problem with media-gfx/fotoxx Reply with quote

Hello
When I run genup i could not update media-gfx/fotoxx:
Code:

emerge -av media-gfx/fotoxx

Local copy of remote index is up-to-date and will be used.
 * Last emerge --sync was czw, 13 cze 2019, 02:35:01.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U  ] media-gfx/fotoxx-18.01.3-r1::sakaki-tools [18.01.3::sakaki-tools] 6 687 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 6 687 KiB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) media-gfx/fotoxx-18.01.3-r1::sakaki-tools
>>> Downloading 'https://www.kornelix.net/downloads/tarballs/fotoxx-18.01.3.tar.gz'
--2019-08-01 21:50:18--  https://www.kornelix.net/downloads/tarballs/fotoxx-18.01.3.tar.gz
Resolving www.kornelix.net... 209.124.66.20
Connecting to www.kornelix.net|209.124.66.20|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2019-08-01 21:50:18 ERROR 404: Not Found.

!!! Couldn't download 'fotoxx-18.01.3.tar.gz'. Aborting.
 * Fetch failed for 'media-gfx/fotoxx-18.01.3-r1', Log file:
 *  '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/fotoxx-18.01.3-r1/temp/build.log'

>>> Failed to emerge media-gfx/fotoxx-18.01.3-r1, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/fotoxx-18.01.3-r1/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package media-gfx/fotoxx-18.01.3-r1:

* Fetch failed for 'media-gfx/fotoxx-18.01.3-r1', Log file:
 *  '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/fotoxx-18.01.3-r1/temp/build.log'

I think package ebuild need to be updated (current version of fotoxx library is 19.0).
Sakaki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: New problem with media-gfx/fotoxx Reply with quote

janbielanski wrote:
Hello
When I run genup i could not update media-gfx/fotoxx:
I think package ebuild need to be updated (current version of fotoxx library is 19.0).

I have just pushed a preliminary ebuild for fotoxx-19.13 (commit) to the sakaki-tools overlay.
Amongst other things, the SRC_URI prefix for the upstream source tarballs seems to have moved (again!).
The ebuild still has a few QA issues, but seems to install and run OK.
Apologies for delayed responses btw, bit snowed working on the Pi4-compatible release.
Anyway, thanks for bringing this one to my attention, and please let me know of any issues with the new ebuild.

sakaki
Sakaki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Migration of rpi3 Overlay Name to genpi64

The following is taken from a news item that affected users should have received - but I copy it below for reference in case today's migration has badly broken anyone's system.

Hello,

In light of the forthcoming (image in soft freeze now) Pi4 support, I have decided to rename the main ebuild repo used by the image, from rpi3-overlay (repo name "rpi3" [1]) to genpi64-overlay (repo name "genpi64"). The custom profile name has also been changed (from default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/rpi3 to default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/genpi64).

Migration

Along with today's commits migrating the repository name, you will also have received a 'fixup' script, which will correct your /etc/portage/repos.conf entry, and also change the repo name in entries in the /var/db/pkg/... database. The script may be viewed here.

(The GitHub URI for the overlay project has also changed, from [2] to [3], but as they automatically redirect moved project links, your old URI should still refer, while the migration is happening.)

This fixup script will be run automatically, within a week at most, by a cron.weekly service already installed on your RPi. However, if you wish to correct the repo name immediately (or you have the weekly fixup service disabled), then simply issue the following commands on your RPi (if running as demouser, prefix them with sudo):
Code:
pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo rpi3
pi64 ~ # /etc/cron.weekly/fixup

Results may be viewed in /var/log/latest-fixup-run.log (the relevant fixup is number 0007, and lives at [4] pre-migration, and [5] post-migration). It does nothing on a system where the name has already been migrated.

Once complete, run the follow to update your eix cache:
Code:
pi64 ~ # eix-sync -0

(that's a zero).

Then, run the following, to make sure your weekly fixup service can still locate files in the moved repo:
Code:
pi64 ~ # emerge -vu app-portage/weekly-genup

Testing

Once migration has completed, make sure that:
Code:
pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo genpi64

completes without errors. Also run:
Code:
pi64 ~ # eselect profile show

and check it returns:
Code:
Current /etc/portage/make.profile symlink:
  genpi64:default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/genpi64

If so, congratulations! You have successfully migrated repos.

Post-Migration Use

Once the migration has taken place, you will need to use:
Code:
pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo genpi64

wherever once you used:
Code:
pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo rpi3

Otherwise, nothing else should change (packages installed from the binhost do not need reinstallation, or anything like that).

If you experience any issues with this migration process, please feel free to contact me (sakaki@deciban.com).

References

[1] Yes, this wasn't the most future-proof choice of name on my part. Apologies ><
[2] https://github.com/sakaki-/rpi3-overlay
[3] https://github.com/sakaki-/genpi64-overlay
[4] /usr/local/portage/rpi3/app-portage/weekly-genup/files/fixup-0007-migrate-rpi3-overlay-to-genpi64.sh
[5] /usr/local/portage/genpi64/app-portage/weekly-genup/files/fixup-0007-migrate-rpi3-overlay-to-genpi64.sh

sakaki
spork_kitty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick note: the /etc/cron.weekly script is only present if dev-embedded/rpi3-64bit-meta is built with 'weekly-genup' set in USE (which installs app-portage/weekly-genup). To be fair, that's the default, but when I attempted to run it on my Pi, it was not present. Running the script straight from [4] (after syncing) did the trick, though.

--

Are there any plans to add nftables support? I checked out /boot/config and saw something about XTABLES. None of the family support appears to be there, either.

If that file is incorrect, my apologies. I didn't see /proc/config.gz either, to check what the running kernel is using. Which package do you build your kernels from? I can try building my own from it to enable nftables.

This image is awesome, btw. Easily the best distro that I've found to put on a Pi, even though compiling is a problem (until I have my desktop do compiling for it. 8) )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: