Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mirage032
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

First, huge thanks to Sakaki and all contributors for maintaining and documenting the various guides on Gentoo. Especially for arm64.

I received the Raspberry Pi 4 8GB RAM last month, it works like a charm except for few minor things:
- I can't seem use 3D acceleration properly on arm64 but there is already a topic on that.
For what it's worth I get 44 fps in 1920x1200 in local using glxgears

Quote:

$ glxgears -info
GL_RENDERER = llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.1, 128 bits)
GL_VERSION = 3.1 Mesa 20.1.4
GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.

- I tried to use crossdev with few other machines at home: I spun gentoo Virtual Machines on them. I had issues with binutils and linux-utils. I tend to believe that s because crossdev is using gcc 9.3 (not 10.2.0, as configured on the main image)

I don t know what my next step will be, I haven't reinstalled a gentoo in 15 years. The least I can say is that very few things have changed. It's much more stable and it's quite fast.
Jarodiv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirage032 wrote:
Hello,

First, huge thanks to Sakaki and all contributors for maintaining and documenting the various guides on Gentoo. Especially for arm64.

I received the Raspberry Pi 4 8GB RAM last month, it works like a charm except for few minor things:
- I can't seem use 3D acceleration properly on arm64 but there is already a topic on that.
For what it's worth I get 44 fps in 1920x1200 in local using glxgears

Quote:

$ glxgears -info
GL_RENDERER = llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.1, 128 bits)
GL_VERSION = 3.1 Mesa 20.1.4
GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.

- I tried to use crossdev with few other machines at home: I spun gentoo Virtual Machines on them. I had issues with binutils and linux-utils. I tend to believe that s because crossdev is using gcc 9.3 (not 10.2.0, as configured on the main image)

I don t know what my next step will be, I haven't reinstalled a gentoo in 15 years. The least I can say is that very few things have changed. It's much more stable and it's quite fast.

Looks like your machine still is using the wrong video driver. Are you using the mesa package from Sakakis genpi64 overlay (with the "rpi-v3d" use flag enabled)? The correct output of "glxgears -info" would be:
Code:
GL_RENDERER   = V3D 4.2
GL_VERSION    = 2.1 Mesa 20.1.3
GL_VENDOR     = Broadcom

I'm currently compiling mesa-20.2.0_rc2 to see if the newly added "v3d" VIDEO_CARD flag makes the package from Sakakis overlay obsolete.

--- edit ---

The new upstream ebuild for mesa seems to work nicely with the Pi4.
mirage032
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you using the mesa package from Sakakisgenpi64 repo (with the "rpi-v3d" use flag enabled)?

Yes, I am.
I installed the package by manually downloading the ebuild and creating a custom local repo.
I get the following in fullscreen in 1920x1200.

Code:
$vblank_mode=0 glxgears -info

ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
GL_RENDERER   = V3D 4.2
GL_VERSION    = 2.1 Mesa 20.2.0-rc2
GL_VENDOR     = Broadcom
74 frames in 5.0 seconds = 14.697 FPS
121 frames in 5.0 seconds = 24.083 FPS
72 frames in 5.0 seconds = 14.295 FPS
124 frames in 5.1 seconds = 24.482 FPS
70 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.921 FPS
127 frames in 5.1 seconds = 25.070 FPS
68 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.569 FPS
128 frames in 5.1 seconds = 25.244 FPS
65 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12.914 FPS
130 frames in 5.0 seconds = 25.935 FPS
70 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.987 FPS
144 frames in 5.0 seconds = 28.683 FPS

Last edited by mirage032 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jarodiv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will try to disable the overlay.

You actually only have to mask the one from the genpi64 overöay. But that one actially should work too. I would guess that you somewhere have an issue with the use flags.

Can you post the "VIDEO_CARDS" section of your "/etc/portage/make.conf"? It should be something like
Code:
 VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev vc4 v3d"

Also it could be interesting which use flags are enabled on your system for "media-libs/mesa".
mirage032
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I have the same configuration.

Code:
$ grep CARDS /etc/portage/make.conf
VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev vc4 v3d"

Sorry, I wanted to avoid multiple replies to my own post so I edited my own messages.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirage032,

Don't mix gcc version in a compile farm.
distcc can't call the correct version. You need to set all gcc versions with gcc-config, or eselect gcc.

Mixing gcc versions has been known to produce broken code.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Jarodiv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using fkms (dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d) or kms (dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d)? With kms I had a similar, poor performance. fkms on the other hand produces good results.
mirage032
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the suggestions.

Jarodiv, you're right. This is why I upgraded to gcc 10.2 using distcc to avoid any kind of issue (I still know that I might find some weird issues):

I followed sakaki's guide Set Up Your Gentoo PC for Cross Compilation with crossdev

Except that I use eselect to use gcc 10.2 on the host machine.
Code:
crossdev --b '~2.34' --g '~10.2.0' --k '~5.4' --l '~2.30' -t aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu

Coming back to the driver specified:

Code:
# grep dtoverlay /boot/config.txt
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

I will try to reemerge stuff but first I need to expand my storage.
At least, things are working now.

I was thinking about transforming my RPi 4 in a karaoke machine if video accel is decent.

(After all, just a mic is required and fairly decent sound isolation).
mirage032
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used full image from sakaki latest build available here.
I got 25-27fps in fullscreen (4CPUs were at 100%) and it was still using lvmpipe.

I guess I will keep it headless.
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirage032 wrote:
I just used full image from sakaki latest build available here.
I got 25-27fps in fullscreen (4CPUs were at 100%) and it was still using lvmpipe.

I don't quite understand this. The gentoo-on-rpi-64bit image as shipped definitely uses fkms and has the v3d support enabled. Please see for example this screenshot which was taken from a vanilla v1.6.0 release image running on an RPi4 - as you can see (glxinfo output in left pane) accelerated rendering is enabled. Have you recompiled mesa or something like that on there?

BTW, one thing you can try, to increase the frame rate, is to switch off compositing (Applications->Settings->Window Manager Tweaks, Compositor tab).

sakaki
BobbeNa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 64 on ARM Reply with quote

i want to take the time to thank the people who have taken then time build, test, and make available this Gentoo for Arm. it is the one desktop I have been trying to get working right on my raspberry pi after I had used RaspOS. I think you have done a great job making this such smooth running OS.

Bobbe

Raspberry Pi 4 Gentoo 64
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sakaki stepping down from gentoo-on-rpi-64bit (aka genpi64) maintenance (effective EOL notice)

Dear fellow Gentoo and RPi enthusiasts -

I am afraid I have some difficult news to share.

As some of you already know, the last few months have been very challenging for me in terms of bandwidth, because my current, "real-world" job has required increasing (and ultimately, unsustainable) amounts of my time, struggling to deliver a much increased workload with a skeleton staff post-lockdown. While I need to stay employed in this difficult environment, my family life has been coming under immense strain, and it became clear that something had to give.

As a result, I have -- after much debate -- decided to accept a recent offer (which arrived unsolicited, and to my surprise) from another org to join them.

In many senses they offer a perfect fit, as the role is a lead architect position focused on post-quantum crypto for embedded systems, two of my real-world areas of practice, the org is world-renowned, and while the time commitment is still large, it is manageable.

However, it also comes at a significant (non-financial) cost, as their legals essentially prohibit me from contributing to external projects in my spare time to any material extent (sadly, this includes genpi64; which they know all about... unsurprising, given who they are I guess ><).

Consequently, I must announce that I will be stepping down as the maintainer for this project (and a number of others on GitHub, such as raspbian-nspawn-64) with immediate effect. As I am the sole maintainer for these (and since, my bad, no real succession planning has been done), this effectively means these projects are going EOL at this point.

For the meantime, I will leave the repos up (for historical interest and since they may be of use still in certain applications); however, there will be no further updates to the underlying binhost etc. (other than for the kernel autobuilds, which will remain running as they are entirely unattended atm; but, I will not attempt to fix them if they break). Nor will I be accepting/actioning further pull requests / bug reports from this point. Email requests for support will also have to be politely declined ><. I will continue to monitor this forum, but will be unable to provide in-depth technical responses to queries as before, and any responses may be somewhat delayed.

My sincere and heartfelt apologies to those who have contributed to, used and commented on genpi64 over the nearly four years since I first released it (seems such a long time ago now!). With the benefit of hindsight, it is apparent that I should have spent more time creating a maintenance community around this project (and others), but, in truth, I never expected it to gain the (modest!) popularity that it did; it was just a proof-of-concept that kind of grew...

Of course, this is not the end in any sense for Gentoo on the aarch64 / 64-bit RPi platform, which remains very much a going concern (as you can see from the many active contributors on this forum). Also, given that the custom overlay for gentoo-on-rpi-64bit is still available, you can (relatively easily) create your own 'downstream' Gentoo-based distro, if you so desire, and take up from where I am leaving off. If that piques your interest, please go for it!

In closing, I'd just like to note my heartfelt thanks to everyone who has used the image over the years, and to the fantastic team of devs and enthusiasts who make up the Gentoo and Raspberry Pi communities (a particular shout out to NeddySeagoon!). It's truly been an honour to be a (tiny!) part of those endeavours for a little while, and I hope genpi64 has helped, in some small way, to demonstrate that 64-bit Gentoo on systems such as the very capable RPi4 makes a lot of sense.

So, kind regards, stay well, and I trust our paths may cross again in the future ^-^

Sayounara!

sakaki
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki,

Sakaki wrote:
... but, in truth, I never expected it to gain the (modest!) popularity that it did; it was just a proof-of-concept that kind of grew...

You are in good company.

Linus Benedict Torvalds - 25/08/1991 wrote:
Hello everybody out there using minix -

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).

I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Leave the repos up, others may fork them and continue the work. If the build tools are not on github, they should be, to make it easy for a new maintainer to repoduce what you are leaving behind.

Gentoo is like Brigadoon - Nobody ever leaves. :)

All the best for your future.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Jarodiv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sad to hear but at the same time being happy for you, that you got this amazing opportunity (btw, it sounds really strange to me as a german, with our extensive privacy laws, that a company can dictate what you are allowed to do with your private time). You did an amazing job with your overlay, it helped me countless times to get my own Gentoo up and running, huge thanks for that!

I think the best solution would be if the changes Sakaki has made would be merged into upstream (I'm aware that this is a "someone has to do that" statement).

Some of them already found their way, others didn't yet. I've managed to get a desktop Gentoo running smoothly, using only 7 packages from the overlay (most only for convenience; more certainly are required for additional functionality), the rest already is working fine using only upstream and other official packages (e.g. the Raspberry Kernel).
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki wrote:
sakaki stepping down from gentoo-on-rpi-64bit (aka genpi64) maintenance (effective EOL notice)

Sayounara!

Sakaki,

On one hand, I'm really happy for you (and far from surprised) to hear of your new opportunity, and on the other really sad (for entirely selfish reasons) that you have to leave the genpi project behind.

I guess I'll have to learn some git and how to keep my pi's updated myself ;) It's been nice to be a bit lazy in this regard.

All the best to you and thanks so much for all your work to leave us with such a solid starting point.

Kind regards,
Ian
while true
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Sakaki, ooooh. so much mixed feelings...

You made me happy.
I am grateful for your genpi64,
thank you for marvelous image.
I am sad you are leaving this project of yours.
Congratulations on your new job post.
Bye and good winds to your sails Sakaki!
(has she left? she has?
ok, now listen up, eternal noob here,
I am scared to bones!
now just what does that mean for noobs that use her's genpi64?
like, exactly, will I be able to genup this rig,
and for how long? Is it smart to stay on it?
If not, than what are my options to run gentoo 64 bit on raspberry pi?
Thank you)

alive
while true
kick ass
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while true,

genup will stop working as of now. Sakaki said that there will be no more binhost updates.

Sakakis image is based on the ::gentoo repo, the ::genpi64 overlay and patches to make things work properly on Raspberry pi.
None of these things will go away. The ::genpi64 overlay and patches and resultant binhost will no longer be updated.

What to do ... you can migrate to ::gentoo (without the ::genpi64 overlay and patches) plus the Foundation kernel.
That's not terribly attractive as the Pi specific ebuilds will be lost and things like ffmpeg and Kodi will be become sub optimal.

What to do depends on your individual USE case.

The Pi 4, with 4G or 8G RAM is a fairly capable build system.
Add in distcc to a cross compiler on helpers and it can do quite well.
Don't build on the SD card though. Use a USB HDD.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
emerge_life
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki wrote:

While I need to stay employed in this difficult environment, my family life has been coming under immense strain, and it became clear that something had to give.

However, it also comes at a significant (non-financial) cost, as their legals essentially prohibit me from contributing to external projects in my spare time to any material extent

Indeed this is very sad news and a huge loss to the Gentoo community and the FOSS community at large.

It is a shame that talented people who help users preserver their freedoms do so at significant personal cost. To the point of burnout, straining relationships or having serious financial problems. Where the only way out is taking a job that curtail or even stops their contributions to society, as in this case.

All the best Sakaki, may your freedom to help others and have a happy and fulfilling personal life be resorted in the near future.

EL
while true
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NeddySeagoon,

I have great rig, two 1080p monitors,
rpi4/8g, overclocked to 2ghz, nice cooling armour with fans,
hooked up on 400gb ssd disk.
I cried a little when I got this set up
like 6 months ago - running genpi64 (lite of course).
My gentoo box, with 8 core amd is turned on once a week,
or every other, to help genpi64 compile genup with distcc, and than turned off.
I am on genpi64 as daily computer, well, almost a year.

here is a picture of my rig, usually it is tucked behind the monitors:
www.vodjatropa.si/gentoo/genpi64_rig.jpg

My individual daily use case is sylpheed, qutebrowser, mpv and xterm (tui apps). openvpn, ssh. I have an app i made in c++ that runs always.
than again, I have libreoffice, filezilla, qtcreator, gimp, that are also needed.

So now I am here where is no laughter, since i do not understand terminology. ::gentoo repo, the ::genpi64 overlay and patches, migrate to with Fundation kernel. But I understand sub optimal.
I do not know how to migrate unless there is a handbook I can follow, just dumb between ears. Are there any instructions on the matter?

Thanks Neddy.

For how long can I stay on this rig with last update?
Is there a gentoo handbook for rpi?
And is there noone that knows and could pick up Sakaki's torch?

The range for gentoo on rpi is HUGE,
from top-notch-hight-edge-best-in-the-world-Scotty-can-hide-himself-engineer (aka Sakaki)
to fart-full-skull-ARM-chair-idiot (aka me).
Gentoo team, hear my words so I can teach you,
take my hand when i try to reach you,
but my words, like silent rain drops fell,
into the sound of silence...

Thank you.

alive
while true
kick ass
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while true,

There is no Rpi handbook. We would need one for every arm64 single board computer and they are all different.
There isn't even an arm64 hardbook as its almost the same as amd64, except where it diverges due to the differences in individual platforms.

When Sakaki started genpi64, arm64 on Gentoo was a bit like the wild west. Since that time its become more mainstream. Recently it was made a stable profile on Gentoo.

::gentoo means the Gentoo ebuild repository.
::genpi64 means Sakakis genpi64 overlay.

Its the repro names that can appear in emerge output after each package, when you do an update.

Carrying on genup, which is Sakakis updater that fetches from binhost will be a lot of work. It means maintaining Sakakis genpi64 overlay and a public binhost to make the packages available.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
while true
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NeddySeagoon,

Thank you for your patience and explanations, but I stll do not know what all this means.

Is gentoo on rpi4 over for noobs?
Will it ever be like genpi64, or similar?
Can I keep using genpi64, and for how long?
You mentined migration, is there a how-to page?
Can one fresh install gentoo on rpi4, with external ssd drive, and where can one turn for instructions and help, if one is noob, dumb consumer?

Thank you

alive
while true
kick ass
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while true,

Quote:
Is gentoo on rpi4 over for noobs?

No. Its only a little more difficult than an amd64 install.

Quote:
Will it ever be like genpi64, or similar?

Unlikely. Sakaki made all the distro design choices and compiled everything for you.

Quote:
Can I keep using genpi64, and for how long?

Yes, it will work as installed now but there will be no more updates.
How long depends on what you consider usable. Packages will be updated outside of genpi64 but genpi64 will not change.
Does security matter to you, you choose?

Quote:
You mentined migration, is there a how-to page?

Not that I'm aware of. Sakaki is unlikely to write one and its only two days since the end of life announcement.

Quote:
Can one fresh install gentoo on rpi4, with external ssd drive ...

Yes. That's how my Pis work.

Quote:
... where can one turn for instructions and help, if one is noob, dumb consumer?

The amd64 handbook is useful. It covers all the setup.
See the arm64 tab at the Gentoo Downloads site for the stage3.

The Pi4 specific bits are covered in the Raspberry Pi4 64 Bit Install on the wiki.
That guide assumes that you will cross compile your own 64 bit kernel but the Pi Foundation distributes a ready made one now. That's kernel8.img.

You will do the install by attaching the target drive to your amd64 system.
This means that its not possible, well not easy, to chroot into the Pi install, so where the amd64 handbook has you doing a chroot, you have to do everything from outside. Take great care when you are editing files for the Pi. Do not edit the hosts files.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
while true
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaa...
oh...
the struggle i do to have a gentoo...

so a battle plan is in order,
let me read upon and expect new threads.
thank you Neddy

alive
while true
kick ass
lperkins2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have hope! The GenPi64 project lives on. I use it professionally, so have little choice but to continue making arm64 Gentoo on Raspberry Pi a functional thing. Given that I have to do the work anyway, I may as well make it available to everyone else.

I have created a GitHub organization called GenPi64 and am working on the technical details as we speak (actually, I'm going to bed next, but it's my main project for tomorrow). I have a 1TB/month server I can lend to the cause (if we get past 1TB/month, I *will* have to ask for donations), and an 8core behemoth with a crossdev environment set up. I don't think Sakaki ever posted the build tools, so I'll likely have to recreate a fair portion of them from scratch, but it isn't *that* complicated.

Also, while I will see to it this project continues, for now, one of the first priorities is to get some other knowledgeable people on-board to help. I'd hate to fail the "autobus" test and leave this project dead (though, to be quite honest, I think this project would be the least of my worries in that case).

Anyway, I'll cross post this to the raspberrypi forums when I can, my registration email there seems to have choked somehow; waiting on a support ticket.

P.S. I've created a discord server for the time being, to coordinate with anyone else interested in helping the project. https://discord.gg/Eu5D2e5KJQ is the link.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
while true,

genup will stop working as of now. Sakaki said that there will be no more binhost updates.

Sakakis image is based on the ::gentoo repo, the ::genpi64 overlay and patches to make things work properly on Raspberry pi.
None of these things will go away. The ::genpi64 overlay and patches and resultant binhost will no longer be updated.

What to do ... you can migrate to ::gentoo (without the ::genpi64 overlay and patches) plus the Foundation kernel.
That's not terribly attractive as the Pi specific ebuilds will be lost and things like ffmpeg and Kodi will be become sub optimal.

What to do depends on your individual USE case.

The Pi 4, with 4G or 8G RAM is a fairly capable build system.
Add in distcc to a cross compiler on helpers and it can do quite well.
Don't build on the SD card though. Use a USB HDD.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lperkins2,

I for one, will not use discord. Their terms of service are offensive to me.
Also, I'm a superannuated canine and I don't want to lean any novel manoeuvrers.

I encourage you and other genpi64 followers to join #gentoo-arm on freenode and join in with the existing gentoo arm and arm64 teams.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: