View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Dead UPS Reply with quote

I couldn't connect to the downstairs computer. Went downstairs. Computer was off (should have been on). Pressed the power button, still off. Pressed the power button on the printer, also dead.

Moved printer and stand aways to see front of UPS. No display. Pressed power button. Still no display. Removed UPS and replaced it with a power strip.

Printer came on immediately. Computer powered up from power button.

Did a boot fsck. All OK. Looked in the log. Cronjob to rotate logs ran at 1:00AM. Next entry in log was the first bootup at 7:39AM.

UPS must have died in between. Took battery pack out. One battery was still hot. That one measures 4 volts. The cold one measures 2 volts. They are 12v batteries in parallel.

Question is, are the batteries dead or did charging fail? Original Chinese batteries in ten year old APC unit, BX1000 series.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 yrs sounds dead to me. APC still appears to list it (discontinued). What does the documentation say about battery life?
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to load test the battery, but 10 years is an exceptional lifetime for a battery in a UPS... mine (multiple brands including APC, CyberPower, and TrippLite) are lucky to get 3-4 years of reliable battery life before I have to replace the battery.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's end of life. I had to buy a battery pack in February for one that is even older. That computer runs Windows (dual booting with Gentoo) and the APC Windows monitor warned to replace the batteries. I run apcupsd on this computer but I never get anything meaningful out of it. The windows software tells you if self tests are passed and setails of past outages. Fairly recently I installed XP in a virtual machine on this computer (to run my financial software, MsMoney 2000), I should try to install the APC software there also.

Just not sure if I should replace the batteries or trade in the whole unit. The webpage is enticing "up to 25% trade in". The actual trade in would be $20, so a new unit would be double the cost of just replacing the batteries.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet purchased from the referenced site (some day, probably), but you might consider used.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I haven't yet purchased from the referenced site (some day, probably), but you might consider used.

Thanks. But I wouldn't know how old it was already. I see that the same model is still in production. I bought this UPS and almost all of mine at a discount retailer and I'm rather surprised that the OEM is competitive on price. I bought the replacement battery pack from them. I was rather surprised that it shipped from Ohio (I'm in Illinois) since I, when I was working full-time) I used to drive past their plant twice a day. Yes, it's still there, but maybe only the offices are in use. There are a lot fewer cars than they used to have in the lot.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked into the details, but I would guess either some sort of testing was involved, or new batteries optional, perhaps even required.

APC was acquired by Schneider Electreic (a French multinational) in 2007. So that might be a factor in the parking lot usage.

I'm not normally interested in used stuff, but a decent UPS is expensive enough to justify trying at least once. Without the recommendation, it is unlikely I'd consider it.
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries are only supposed to last a few years, if you got 10 years out of them, then you did very well.

I would say replace the batteries and everything should be fine.

*edit*

I'd also like to say, get generic batteries. Match the terminal types (typically F1,F2, or nut n' bolt), get the voltage the same, the AH (amp hours) the same or higher, and UPS grade batteries. Don't go cheap, but avoid factory batteries since warranty shouldn't be a thing with a 10 y/o unit.

Last edited by Bigun on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftermarket batteries actually cost more here. I'm ordering from the factory. I have no time to shop anyway.
If the unit is bad, I
ll order one of those used units from Amazon or ebay and put the new batteries in it.

Thank you both very much for your advice. I appreciate it.

I'll also try running the Windows APC software in the virtual XP or the virtual Win 7. I think it might work because of the USB interface. I'll report back in this thread.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Aftermarket batteries actually cost more here. I'm ordering from the factory. I have no time to shop anyway.
If the unit is bad, Ill order one of those used units from Amazon or ebay and put the new batteries in it.

Thank you both very much for your advice. I appreciate it.

I've been running these in my APC SUA1500 and they're roughly half the price of the official APC battery
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly more exensive than the official batteries but twice the ampere-hours.
Sounds like a good trade off.
Ashie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most "APC" batteries i seen are in fact just industry standard batteries (12V 7Ah-size, 12V 10Ah-size) bundled with a cable with some terminals. Take the matching batteries from whatever manufacturer you want and transplant the cable
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashie wrote:
Most "APC" batteries i seen are in fact just industry standard batteries (12V 7Ah-size, 12V 10Ah-size) bundled with a cable with some terminals. Take the matching batteries from whatever manufacturer you want and transplant the cable

I was going to do that, except for problems with the terminals on the replacement batteries, before I found out that I could buy the "official battery pack" cheaper.

Replacing the batteries did the trick. Yesterday during a thunderstorm, The UPSclicked on and off and the ceiling lights flickered badly for about 20 seconds. Compyter didn't blink and portage kept chugging along emerging a ton of packages in a VM.

Usually, a Linux computer that is idle will take a sudden power outage okay, unless "rotating rust" suffers head damage from the heads not being parked, but even an SSD is apt to be corrupted from a crash while madly compiling and linking.
Ashie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all "rotating rust" made in the last 20 years auto-parks (without physical damage) in case of abrupt power loss
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashie wrote:
I think all "rotating rust" made in the last 20 years auto-parks (without physical damage) in case of abrupt power loss

Good to know, but I'm not eager to verify. :-)

In any case, your filesystem may be in a corrupted state unless there were no open files. ext4 can roll back the journal, but it's best not to have to.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: