View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to swap to a no-multilib profile to get rid of all 32 bitness. It's been too long since I changed my stuff.
I did a quick glance there's a couple of odd settings in the multilib/no-multilib profiles, that I don't know if they can be overridden in make.conf.
And truth to tell it's cleaner to change to a no-multilib profile.

Not that hard to do, do "emerge --info" and see what USE= flags are set, then add them to USE= in make.conf to get the equivalent desktop setting, after profile change.

Edit to add:
multilib profiles have
Code:
USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN="-ABI_X86 -CPU_FLAGS_X86"

in make.defaults

no-multilib has
Code:
USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN="ABI_X86"

in make.defaults.

It probably can be put into make.conf to change default behavior, making the desktop profile be a no-multilib (desktop) profile.

I tried the multilib form on my no-multilib system and it gave me ABI_X86="32* (64) (-x32)" on the emerge line just like your original post
So I think that's the trigger for multilib libs (apart from multilib use flag)

Your choice as to what you want to do.
profile 17.1 (no-pie & modified) amd64-no-multilib eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to make it more complicated than it is. I did mine years ago so I do not remember the details, but it was easy and all I really needed was common sense. Basically, I think it was like this:

Switch to desired no-multilib profile;
make sure there is no 32-bit forced in package.use

and everything will work as usual, you can rebuild all packages which had 32-bit enabled or you can wait until they get upgraded, all new builds will be pure 64-bit. You can also turn off 32-bit support in kernel when you upgrade it.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise that switching to a no-multilib profile is one method here, but I would like to understand why the desktop profile isn't appropriate for both multilib and no-multilib. When I am back from a conference next week, I'm going to take a closer look to see the differences between my desktop (which is showing this problem), and my laptop (which isn't. I'm also going to look into the other extremely strange problem that I'm having with the 5.0 kernels failing to boot most of the time:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1096440-highlight-.html

Looks like there's going to be some fun times ahead. :P
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary wrote:
I realise that switching to a no-multilib profile is one method here, but I would like to understand why the desktop profile isn't appropriate for both multilib and no-multilib. When I am back from a conference next week, I'm going to take a closer look to see the differences between my desktop (which is showing this problem), and my laptop (which isn't.

Not sure why one machine works and the other doesn't, but there are three things set which make the difference between multi and no-multi profiles.
There are no no-multi setups outside of plain (no use flags set), and hardened

it would not be hard to make a custom desktop profile, and have it be no-multilib

To see the difference (amd64)
/usr/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/make.defaults vs /usr/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/no-multilib/make.defaults
/usr/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/use.mask vs /usr/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/no-multilib/use.mask

This is the starting point for a profile that shows in "eselect profile list"
/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.1/<various directories> but they all refer back to the above make.*/use.*
OR
if you know what you're doing, one could set the 3 variables appropriately in one's make.conf/use.mask and convert from mulitilib to no-multilib
OR
as I said earlier, just set the no-multilib profile and add +/- use flags to get what you want.
The different profiles gnome, kde, etc are just bare system with use flags set.

I am curious as to what the differences are between your two systems (working/non-working) are though.
profile 17.1 (no-pie & modified) amd64-no-multilib eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
there is something else in our system that pulls it.
what is your profile?

But what return command eix -c --installed-with-use abi_x86_32

Code:

dagg@NCC-5001D ~ $ eix -c --installed-with-use abi_x86_32
[I] sys-apps/sandbox (2.13@06/07/19): sandbox'd LD_PRELOAD hack

krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary wrote:
but I would like to understand why the desktop profile isn't appropriate for both multilib and no-multilib.

because of the way profiles are made, they inherit from parents.
on a multilib profile, like desktop one, it inherit from "base/raw" multilib profile, at least to inherit the (multilib) property, then add its own useflags and settings to make it the "desktop" profile.

it would be bad to have the desktop profile propagate the (multilib) on a non multilib user.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: