creating user groups to suspend to ram
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moevot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: creating user groups to suspend to ram Reply with quote

Hello, I have recently got s2ram to suspend everything to ram. like powering down, suspending requires super user acess. So if I were to bind this to a short cut in i3-gaps using the .i3/config file, it will not work even when I am a root user(this is most likely because .i3/config is owned and created by the user and not by the root user). So i have created the group "suspend" and added my user to it. But how do i add programs to user groups? I would like to add the program s2ram to this group but I could not find documenttion on this. Thank you all for your time!
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: creating user groups to suspend to ram Reply with quote

moevot wrote:
So if I were to bind this to a short cut in i3-gaps using the .i3/config file, it will not work even when I am a root user(this is most likely because .i3/config is owned and created by the user and not by the root user).
This does not make sense to me. Are you saying that when you violate basic security practice and run your desktop environment as root, it still cannot suspend from the GUI?
moevot wrote:
So i have created the group "suspend" and added my user to it. But how do i add programs to user groups?
This question does not make sense. Program files have a group that owns the file, but once the program runs, that group only matters if the file is setgid. Even if the file is setgid, how would being in the suspend group be useful? That group confers no ability to suspend the system.
moevot wrote:
I would like to add the program s2ram to this group but I could not find documenttion on this.
chgrp suspend /usr/bin/s2ram, but as above this is not useful. What do you actually want? If you want to suspend from your user account, give yourself sudo access to run s2ram, then let it be run as root via sudo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: