Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PF4Public
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rion wrote:
As far as I remember vscode is something like "unpack and use".

Short answer: well, yes and no.

Officially available releases, which are like "unpack and use"-kind, come under proprietary licence, not MIT. Only git-available sources are under MIT. After "unpacking" these git sources, there are additional steps, that need to be taken. Namely:
* Optimize and minimize js sources
* Apart from that, microsoft has enabled telemetry by default, which could be disabled with the help of ebuild
* Also If that is not enough, one could replace some of microsoft URLs to 0.0.0.0. This one was copied from VSCodium actually.
* Also there exist a separate extension gallery, which could also be configured via USE flags within ebuild
* I have also identified the issue, which prevents localisations to function properly if building not from git. They do now.
* Vscode uses ripgrep, but is shipped with a binary of it. I've fixed that as well.
* Also there are other small cosmetic changes
* Last, but not least, they have introduced a support of electron 9.1.0, but then removed due to some issues with their Snap pipeline. The 1.48_pre is actually the last revision before 9.1.0 support was reverted. As for the masked live ebuild, I have reverted those changes, so that it is still compiling and working with electron 9.1.0. Not sure, for how long will this continue to work, but that's what keyworded live ebuilds are for ;)

May I tease with a picture? :D https://i.imgur.com/CNwK0yw.png

Rion wrote:
Of course it's cool to have an ebuild but not having any ebuild doesn't complicate anything and maybe even makes some things working like internal software updates.

Those are also some of the goals.
ross_cc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throw it out there: there is a pull request trying to put Microsoft's vscode binary package into main tree: https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/11674, but it seems no Gentoo developers are even considering it.
sigra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PF4Public"]
Rion wrote:
* I have also identified the issue, which prevents localisations to function properly if building not from git. They do now.

After starting vscodium, a message appears in the bottom right corner, with the text "Install language pack to change the display language to sv.". Clicking "Install and Restart" closes the application (it does not restart). Manually restarting it results in the same message.

Such language packs should be installed system-wide by portage. That is why both LINGUAS and L10N are set in /etc/portage/make.conf.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: