Ultra 5 HDD Bracket
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtaoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Ultra 5 HDD Bracket Reply with quote

Anyone know a good source for a HDD bracket for an Ultra 5? (Perhaps you have an extra one in your parts bin?) The only place I can find them on the Net (MemoryX--the same people that want $315 for a 333 MHz UltraSparc IIi processor) is $25 with shipping. Since I only paid $30 for the entire "as-was" Ultra 5, I can't seem to justify this just for a small piece of metal. If I can't find it cheaper, I'll just keep looking for another dirt-cheap "as-is" U5 and get some useful other stuff too. Right now, I've got the drive mounted above the floppy, but I'd like to get it back down where it belongs for proper cooling.

Thanks.
bazik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay or make it yourself.
vtaoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this thing? (The cutouts on the right fold back under to form tabs which hook onto the chassis. And you could make it without the slits, but I think the reason Sun created it that way was for cooling, and since that's my main motivation for moving the drive back down there...) I think for the time and effort involved in fabricating one, I'd just as soon pay the 25 bucks.

As for eBay, I've had it set now for about a month to e-mail me anytime an item matching the description of "'ultra 5' (bracket,tray,sled)" is listed with no results, so I'm not holding out much hope there. Chances are, anyone who has just a bracket, probably doesn't know what they've got anyway.

My question is, "Who would remove the hard drive from this thing and not leave the bracket?"

Last edited by vtaoe on Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
verruckt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtaoe wrote:
Have you seen this thing?

My question is, "Who would remove the hard drive from this thing and not leave the bracket?"

The same Scalliwags who would buy a lot from a dot com foreclosure, and just part out a perfectly working Ultra so they can make a few extra bucks rather than jsut selling it whole. How ironic that when you DO find someone with that one unique part you need, they also have every other part neccessary to build a fully functional unit. :roll:

Sure it capatilism, but half of the idiots on ebay selling sparcs, dont even know how to boot them up... read the descriptions. :lol:
vtaoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I couldn't believe I found a fully-functional Ultra 10 Creator 3D (except for a broken CD-ROM) for $45 and an Ultra 5 (minus power supply, RAM, and hard disk, and with a busted processor) for $30. They were both sold "as-is" but there were more than enough functional parts between them to make it well worth the money. Hell, if I wanted to, I could probably get $200 to $300 for the Ultra 10 and maybe another $100 for the leftovers. (But why would I want to? :)) Instead, I think I'll buy some more and see if I can get two or three working and sell a couple of those.
verruckt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtaoe wrote:
Yes, I couldn't believe I found a fully-functional Ultra 10 Creator 3D (except for a broken CD-ROM) for $45 and an Ultra 5 (minus power supply, RAM, and hard disk, and with a busted processor) for $30. They were both sold "as-is" but there were more than enough functional parts between them to make it well worth the money. Hell, if I wanted to, I could probably get $200 to $300 for the Ultra 10 and maybe another $100 for the leftovers. (But why would I want to? :)) Instead, I think I'll buy some more and see if I can get two or three working and sell a couple of those.

Between the parts i have bought and sold, im probably pretty close to breaking even. Just research what you are going to buy as much as possible. Better if you can buy it in person like you did.

As for that bracket you need, I would seriously think about making one. Its not that hard. A vise and some wide headed dikes should be all you need to get it bent up like it needs to be. For cutting I would just try some good tin snips. I would get some cheap galvanized ductwork from home depot or something to practice with before trying with some decent sheetmetal. But really, it shouldnt be that hard, and that $25 could go for some other good stuff. :D You already have a good photo of what it looks like. If you want, I can get out my calipers and give you some exact measurements on it if you want. But honestly, its not a super critical piece, so as long as the holes line up, you should be good.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: