Plasma testing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordicruler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Plasma testing Reply with quote

How can i use the kde overlay without layman? I want to try plasma 5.16 beta if possible?
fedeliallalinea

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Plasma testing Reply with quote

nordicruler wrote:
How can i use the kde overlay without layman? I want to try plasma 5.16 beta if possible?

I'm not sure if is a good idea because is not best tested.
Anyway why without layman? There is also app-eselect/eselect-repository but isn't much different compared with layman
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a more general note, I definitely second the recommendation for eselect-repository. My understanding is that layman is semi-deprecated anyway.

Technically you can use the kde overlay just by adding it to a file in /etc/portage/repos.conf with syntax similar to this:
Code:
[kde]
location = /var/db/repos/kde
sync-type = git
sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/kde.git

Location can be whatever you want as long as portage:portage has read/write access to it. Then you just need to emerge --sync kde to sync the repository. This may be obvious, but you would need dev-vcs/git installed in order to be able to actually sync it.

That being said, it looks like you can pull in the pre-release through the kde overlay by using Documentation/package.accept_keywords/kde-plasma-5.16 and Documentation/kde/package.unmask/kde-plasma-5.16. YMMV on its stability as fedeliallalinea says, so at the very least, I'd probably recommend generating some binaries for your current version of plasma so you can downgrade easily if you have issues with it.

I believe 5.16 also requires Qt 5.12, so if you aren't already following ~amd64 for Qt, you'll need to upgrade Qt for that. I did the last night on my main system without too many issues so far.

EDIT: You might have issues upgrading kde-plasma at this point. On a whim I decided to try updating to the pre-release and it failed on the update to kde-plasma/plasma-nm. I had the same basic issue as reported in bug #686290.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: