Gentoo router broken after ISP changes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant123
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Gentoo router broken after ISP changes Reply with quote

I've been using my laptop directly connected to my modem for years without any trouble. Waking up this morning one of the 4 green lights on my Arris modem is blue which I'm reading means downstream is now operating on DOCSIS3.1. Also the IP address I receive now is not one I've seen before. So I think Cox made some network changes last night.

Today I can DHCP but I can't seem to reach anything on the internet. I restarted the modem and the laptop. I called Cox and they say they can communicate with the modem just fine. Any idea how to troubleshoot this?
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your router setup (shorewall? iptables?) define the wan zone using a fixed wan address? If so, you will have to update it with the new address.

Your router setup probably only accepts packets addressed to say 86.123.133.155 (your old address) so it rejects packets coming from 98.222.233.001 (your new address).

Another possibility. My Dlink router connects to the modem at local address 198.168.100.1 to get the real ip address. Maybe 198.168.100.1 is no longer the address of the cable modem?

EDIT:
At Menard's they have a cheap Buffalo N450 router for $14.99, usually on sale for $11. If you can find this cheap modem somewhere near you, you could use it as a test. Afterward, it makes a decent two band (one at a time) access point, which is what I use it for.

Third possibility. You used to have a cable modem but now your ISP supplies a combined modem+router. They love to do this. You will have to put that into bridge mode or put up with your isp snooping on your local traffic.
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading, I don't think they physically changed your modem. What model is it?. I have an SB6141 What color are the lights from top to bottom and are they steady or flashing/blinking.
They may have switched the address from Ipv4 to Ipv6.

I assume you have tried "ping www.gentoo.org" and "ping 8.8.8.8"
I had recent weirdness and inconsistency but it was caused by a duplicate lan address. If I read your post correctly, you only have the laptop and no other lan devices?
grant123
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called tech support again to ask another question and then they told me there's an outage in my area. It's fixed now. Thank you so much for lending a hand. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: