Looking for documentation re: old OpenRC usage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Looking for documentation re: old OpenRC usage Reply with quote

I'm aware that there's quite a lot of people on openrc 0.1x/0.2x here (and eix -R seems to agree), but I don't recall the exact reasons and they're scattered across dozens of threads. It's nigh impossible to find anything relevant through search engines in all the emerge --info noise…

May I ask anyone that's able, to try to collect all of that tribal knowledge in one place, maybe a wiki page, for future historians?
berferd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my reasons:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8009332.html#8009332
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still run openrc-0.13.11 and it still works well. (cgroups turned off in kernel as I haven't found a need for it)

I know I've mentioned a few things I've had to do over time, I'll have to look at my old posts to see what and which thread it's in.
I'll add to this post as I find them.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1087000-highlight-.html -- whole thread is about opentmpfiles
With this post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8266332.html#8266332 being a summary.
5.0.13 zen kernel, profile 17.1 (no-pie & modified) amd64-no-multilib
gcc 8.2.0, eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 0.17 from my own local overlay. I blocked sys-apps/openrc::gentoo in package.mask because I've been burned too many times by "upgrades".
It is a bit of work, putting more and more altered ebuilds in overlay that "require" later versions. What they invariably really require is tmpfiles and I alter the ebuilds to reflect that.

I have ebuilds and distfiles for 0.12.4, 0.13.7 and 0.17
Someday when I have time (ha. ha. ha.) I want to compare them for differences. I'd like to see what has changed from version to version. I'll probably never do it.

I see no point in the gradual modification of openrc to become more and more like systemd which I regard as a cancer on Linux.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on openrc-0.17. There were a few strange system design decisions a few versions later.
I'm aware that some were reverted in later still versions but I've not done the work to find a newer version that I can live with.

Like Tony0945, I fix the odd ebuild, for tmpfiles, which openrc-0.17 already includes.
Portage can't cope with version ranges, so it has to be >openrc-0.xx

I'm on openrc-0.17 for historical reasons that may no longer be valid.
If its not broke, don't fix it, so I have other things like that too.

-- edit --

I don't have any problem with splitting out the tmpfiles functionality. Its not a systemd thing.
It was already a part of openrc before it was split off.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
saellaven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 0.11.8, 0.13.11, 0.13.7, 0.13.8, 0.13.9, 0.16.4, and 0.17 in my distfiles and like many others, I'm currently running 0.17 since that was the last version before all of the systemd creep started setting in (and I remember being on 0.12.4 for a long time before that so I'm surprised that isn't in my distfiles).
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think major issues that come to mind with openrc newer version are:
- add of that stupid /usr/lib/modules-load.d (loading a module if some dev decide to force it loaded)
- add of nofail (which is not bad in itself, but the implementation is so awful) see https://bugs.gentoo.org/579876
* nofail only work on network devices
* if a network device is not present, and nofail is set -> openrc agree to continue
* BUT and this is awful ; if a device fail (a network device not present without nofail set ; or a non network device is in trouble and fail to mount) -> now openrc return an error ; which mean localmount throw an error and openrc then refuse to loaded dependencies of the service (and you can see deps of localmount to see how catastrophic it is) ; this fucking mess, the whole system is fucked for a device you might not even cares off
- disabling of caching file reusage (and boot slowdown associate with disabling caching, which is fix now is newer openrc versions) see https://bugs.gentoo.org/651246
- opentmp.files that is stupid, something base on a good idea, but without digging into possible issue, with a mess where you have opentmp.files file everywhere to create permissions/files/directories while many script must not use it as it is not appropriate. I think i prefer all scripts creating themself the needed files/perms, rather than a mix of a global entity that do it (opentmp) that is unable to actually do the job and you endup with exceptions in scripts.
see https://bugs.gentoo.org/645302

I don't know motivation to keep older openrc versions, but sure the handling of nofail might be a good one!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn,

The nofail change was my first reason to stick at openrc-0.17.

Fail was made the default, when nofail was not in fstab and it wasn't just network filesystems then.
/usr/portage/distfiles failed to mount on a remote server ... and the server didn't come up.

That was just bad system design, introducing a new feature and breaking expected behaviour.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using sys-apps/openrc-0.17 out of my local overlay as well. Never had any issues as a result. Seems like there are a lot of us.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: